Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Reload Thread: Dual battery setup

  1. #1
    fordbyford's Avatar
    fordbyford is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    F-V,NC
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Dual battery setup

    Hey all I have a 1996 Ford Bronco that Im finally getting around to putting my system into. I have 2 Kicker subs rated at 300 RMS and a 1000 watt Kenwood amplifier Power will come from 2 Optima redtops and a 3G alt rated at 200 amps. Now my problem is I have two red top optimas does anyone know how to wire them together? Am I going to just connect pos to pos neg to neg or should I have an Isolator in there Im ok at electrcal work but not great at it any help would be greatly appriciated thank you Kyle







  2. #2
    loopkiller's Avatar
    loopkiller is offline PERMA-BANED



    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Glass City
    Posts
    2,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dual battery setup

    Quote Originally Posted by fordbyford View Post
    Hey all I have a 1996 Ford Bronco that Im finally getting around to putting my system into. I have 2 Kicker subs rated at 300 RMS and a 1000 watt Kenwood amplifier Power will come from 2 Optima redtops and a 3G alt rated at 200 amps. Now my problem is I have two red top optimas does anyone know how to wire them together? Am I going to just connect pos to pos neg to neg or should I have an Isolator in there Im ok at electrcal work but not great at it any help would be greatly appriciated thank you Kyle
    Yes, simple parallel is all. Here is a diagram to help you.



    That said, the red tops are not made to power car audio. They will work OK as long as you don't try to run the system with the engine off. Just know they are not made for what you are doing with them.




  3. #3
    fordbyford's Avatar
    fordbyford is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    F-V,NC
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dual battery setup

    What kind of fuse should be used in the circuit and would it would it be cool to use a blue or yellow top with the red top, my original red top is about 2 years old and I have a brand new redtop I can exchange for either blue or yellow




  4. #4
    loopkiller's Avatar
    loopkiller is offline PERMA-BANED



    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Glass City
    Posts
    2,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dual battery setup

    Quote Originally Posted by fordbyford View Post
    What kind of fuse should be used in the circuit and would it would it be cool to use a blue or yellow top with the red top, my original red top is about 2 years old and I have a brand new redtop I can exchange for either blue or yellow
    Fuse based on the wire you are protecting. You should run 1/0 wire between the batteries and most 1/0 is rated to 250A to 300A depending on brand. Confirm with the wire MFG what your wire is rated for. Fuse at that value.

    A yellow would be better suited. The blue is the same battery as the yellow, just marine terminals is all.




  5. #5
    fordbyford's Avatar
    fordbyford is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    F-V,NC
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dual battery setup

    Gotcha I have the amp wire kit I belive it is 2gauge rated at 4000 watt heres a link to the excact wiring kit I havehttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Gau...fAudioQ5fVideo
    Last edited by fordbyford; 04-10-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: EDIT sorry it would be kosher to use a red top and a yellow top together correct?




  6. #6
    93dakota's Avatar
    93dakota is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ohio U
    Posts
    660
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dual battery setup

    that kit comes with a fuse but it is only 140amp... i would think you should be safe with at least 250 but i really dont know because it depends on that wire.



    Co-Founder OBS
    1993 Dodge Dakota LE 3.9L v6
    1 Fi BTL 18" in Custom wall enclosure
    Alpine CDA-9886
    Hifonics Goliath XXV
    Hifonics Zxi6410
    Mechman Street Beater 250amp Alt
    Powermaster D3100
    8 runs Knukoncepts 1/0 power/ground

  7. #7
    smoka's Avatar
    smoka is offline Drink beer save water



    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    661
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dual battery setup

    140 amp fuse should be fine for the amp you are using. If you get a bigger amp then you'll have to upgrade the fuse in the future.

    Its funny that auction says its good for up to 4000watts. That fuse would blow before you reached 2000.




  8. #8
    TnT_Sounds's Avatar
    TnT_Sounds is offline profiling gets **** done!



    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Age
    24
    Posts
    3,616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dual battery setup

    Quote Originally Posted by loopkiller View Post
    Yes, simple parallel is all. Here is a diagram to help you.



    That said, the red tops are not made to power car audio. They will work OK as long as you don't try to run the system with the engine off. Just know they are not made for what you are doing with them.
    I have a friend here who dont understand why you need to fuse both ends of the positive run of wire and why dont you then also fuse the ground wire..

    Someone explain



    3 8's

    39.9 consistently

    Quote Originally Posted by PV Audio View Post
    It will never be proved that loudness is somehow related to SPL because it isn't.

    Loudness, a subjective measure, is often confused with objective measures of sound pressure such as decibels or sound intensity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Kulicki
    Building a stereo just to measure it's sound pressure level is like building a microwave oven for no reason other than to measure it's electromagnetic radiation emissions.

  9. #9
    SlickNick's Avatar
    SlickNick is offline Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dual battery setup

    ^^^^yeah that. You DON'T need to fuse the ground at all but two on the power wire? I have a battery under the hood and a COMMERCIAL line Yellow top in the trunk (the BIG one) and the ONLY thing connecting them is ONE 0 gauge wire with ONE fuse in line (I think it's a 150 amp...not sure). As long as the second battery is grounded out on it's own, it would be a waste of time, money (0 gauge is TOO expensive) to be running a ground between the two (atleast if you're going front to back like me) as electricity runs through wires with less resistance (meaning the chassis ground and NOT the ground wire in between). Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.



    Nighthawk Black Pearl 2006 Honda Civic LX
    • HU: Pioneer AVHP-7500DVD
    • Fronts: 6.5" Boston Acoustics SX Components
    • Rears: 6.5" Boston Acoustics SX Coaxials
    • Highs Amp: Sony Xplod
    • Subs: 2 12" Sony Xplods (until I get my Boston G3's)
    • Lows Amp: Directed D800 at 2 ohms
    • One Farad Power Acoustik Cap
    • One Tsunami Digital Distribution Block
    • One D31 Optima Yellow Top in the trunk (about to be one under the hood).
    • The Big 3 with 0 Gauge throughout.

  10. #10
    badvlvo's Avatar
    badvlvo is offline under a rock



    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Carmel, Ca
    Posts
    259
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dual battery setup

    My factory wiring does not have fuses between the Batt+ of the batteries.



    2000 GMC extended cab. Cheap Pioneer HU, cheaper speakers in the doors, stock speakers in the rear! Time for an install!

    1980 Volvo 244. Nice Pioneer Premier HU, not much else to mention.

    Bought from- MechMan, 528hz, exige, Papermaker, j3bus2k3, basebalz13, revrider1, FRITO, dacheatham, 350zspl

    If we have done business please leave feedback!

  11. #11
    SlickNick's Avatar
    SlickNick is offline Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dual battery setup

    you have 2 batteries in your car stock?



    Nighthawk Black Pearl 2006 Honda Civic LX
    • HU: Pioneer AVHP-7500DVD
    • Fronts: 6.5" Boston Acoustics SX Components
    • Rears: 6.5" Boston Acoustics SX Coaxials
    • Highs Amp: Sony Xplod
    • Subs: 2 12" Sony Xplods (until I get my Boston G3's)
    • Lows Amp: Directed D800 at 2 ohms
    • One Farad Power Acoustik Cap
    • One Tsunami Digital Distribution Block
    • One D31 Optima Yellow Top in the trunk (about to be one under the hood).
    • The Big 3 with 0 Gauge throughout.

  12. #12
    tommyk90's Avatar
    tommyk90 is offline THE WHOLE THING!!!



    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Chicago Heights, IL
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Re: Dual battery setup

    You MUST fuse both ends of the power wire.

    For instance, say the wire gets cut or melted somehow and begins to short out on the car. The fuse leading to the front battery will pop, but since there's no fuse on the back battery, the short circuit will continue to happen until basically your entire electrical system is fried/your car burns down to the ground.

    In short: FUSE BOTH ENDS!




    Team Kicker (R.I.P.)
    Team Sundown
    Team Maxxsonics
    Team XS Power
    Team DD
    Team Audio Technix
    Team B2 Audio
    Team Mechman
    Team Tantric Sounds

    2008 Bassrace 130-139.9 Regional and National Champion
    2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2012 MECA Champion (S1, SR1, DB1, S2, S3, S4)

    One DD 9510 powered by two Sundown SAZ-2500's
    Kicker KS tweeters, MB Quart 5.25's active on an MB Quart DSC480
    Kicker wiring throughout.



  13. #13
    tommyk90's Avatar
    tommyk90 is offline THE WHOLE THING!!!



    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Chicago Heights, IL
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Re: Dual battery setup

    Quote Originally Posted by SlickNick View Post
    ^^^^yeah that. You DON'T need to fuse the ground at all but two on the power wire? I have a battery under the hood and a COMMERCIAL line Yellow top in the trunk (the BIG one) and the ONLY thing connecting them is ONE 0 gauge wire with ONE fuse in line (I think it's a 150 amp...not sure). As long as the second battery is grounded out on it's own, it would be a waste of time, money (0 gauge is TOO expensive) to be running a ground between the two (atleast if you're going front to back like me) as electricity runs through wires with less resistance (meaning the chassis ground and NOT the ground wire in between). Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
    For the OP's level of power, a chassis ground on the back battery is fine.

    However, there have been tests that have shown that a piece of 1/0 wire is MORE conductive than the chassis of a car, which is made of steel (which is FAR less conductive than copper) and lots of welds.

    If you plan on running big power, grounds to the front battery/alternator(s) is a must.




    Team Kicker (R.I.P.)
    Team Sundown
    Team Maxxsonics
    Team XS Power
    Team DD
    Team Audio Technix
    Team B2 Audio
    Team Mechman
    Team Tantric Sounds

    2008 Bassrace 130-139.9 Regional and National Champion
    2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2012 MECA Champion (S1, SR1, DB1, S2, S3, S4)

    One DD 9510 powered by two Sundown SAZ-2500's
    Kicker KS tweeters, MB Quart 5.25's active on an MB Quart DSC480
    Kicker wiring throughout.



  14. #14
    tommyk90's Avatar
    tommyk90 is offline THE WHOLE THING!!!



    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Chicago Heights, IL
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Re: Dual battery setup

    Quote Originally Posted by SlickNick View Post
    you have 2 batteries in your car stock?
    Diesels typically have two batteries because of the large amount of current needed to start a high compression engine.




    Team Kicker (R.I.P.)
    Team Sundown
    Team Maxxsonics
    Team XS Power
    Team DD
    Team Audio Technix
    Team B2 Audio
    Team Mechman
    Team Tantric Sounds

    2008 Bassrace 130-139.9 Regional and National Champion
    2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2012 MECA Champion (S1, SR1, DB1, S2, S3, S4)

    One DD 9510 powered by two Sundown SAZ-2500's
    Kicker KS tweeters, MB Quart 5.25's active on an MB Quart DSC480
    Kicker wiring throughout.



  15. #15
    SlickNick's Avatar
    SlickNick is offline Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dual battery setup

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyk90 View Post
    You MUST fuse both ends of the power wire.

    For instance, say the wire gets cut or melted somehow and begins to short out on the car. The fuse leading to the front battery will pop, but since there's no fuse on the back battery, the short circuit will continue to happen until basically your entire electrical system is fried/your car burns down to the ground.

    In short: FUSE BOTH ENDS!
    ^^^^genius. Makes perfect sense. I wasn't 100 percent sure I was totally correct which is why you came along.



    Nighthawk Black Pearl 2006 Honda Civic LX
    • HU: Pioneer AVHP-7500DVD
    • Fronts: 6.5" Boston Acoustics SX Components
    • Rears: 6.5" Boston Acoustics SX Coaxials
    • Highs Amp: Sony Xplod
    • Subs: 2 12" Sony Xplods (until I get my Boston G3's)
    • Lows Amp: Directed D800 at 2 ohms
    • One Farad Power Acoustik Cap
    • One Tsunami Digital Distribution Block
    • One D31 Optima Yellow Top in the trunk (about to be one under the hood).
    • The Big 3 with 0 Gauge throughout.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum