Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Ok i need to know how this all works.

Silica is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok i need to know how this all works.

Alright people confuse me to hell.. So set me straight here.
    Your alterntor recharges the battery, and the battery provides power for the vehicle..
    right?

Now wouldn't it make more sense to get a yellow top battery than get a new alterntor?

Im not right here.. someone clear me up.

Im running my 2 15's off the jbl 1200.1 @ 2ohm, and my lights dim very little? Barely any? And i got the subs hammering pretty **** well.

And is it bad to run you subs with the car off?

TIm

Current System:
    -18" MA Audio Hard Kore
    -12 CU.FT @ 24hz
    -2 Planet Audio TT2250D's
    -Planet Audio TT4400
    -Pioneer 8600

TheVanMan is offline Why you looking here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Ok i need to know how this all works.

It's actually make more sense to get an better alternator. The reason for this is because when you start your car the alternator is basically what keep the electronics running. You see the battery doesn't put out enough current to keep you car electronics running efficiently, it's the alternator. When the alternator doesn't have enough current to feed the electronics then the current is pulled out of the battery. This may seem all and good but as you pull the current from the battery the voltage of the current gets smaller and smaller. The alternator will try to charge the battery but all of it's current is basically being sent to the electronics, so a lot of stress is put on the alternator (which would eventually cause it to fail).

A yellow top battery would seem like a solution but it is only temporary. In a little bit more time, the battery's voltage would lower too but this time around not only does the alternator have to power the electronics, it also has to power the bigger battery you got there now (causing the alternator to fail even sooner).

Now with a bigger alternator, you can power all your electronics efficiently. With a bigger alternator, the battery will not be needed for a source of current as much since the alternator can handle the load by itself almost.

As for the question if about the subs with the car off. It's basically depends how you do it. If you blast you music for long periods of time with the car off then yes, it bad for the battery. However if you listen to the music as a low to moderate level for not a long time then it's ok. When the car is off so is the alterator, so you basically just draining you battery. If you like to listen to your music with the car off, then you should get a yellow top. The extra power should allow to listen to you music with the car off a little longer with still enough juice to start it. However, you alternator is going to have a lot of work to recharge your battery when you start it.

AOL s/n: Bramab
    Current Car: 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Current system (Always under construction):
    Head unit: Kenwood DNX5120
    Front Dash speakers: 3.5 midrange with DRT-25 Tweets
    Front Door speakers: (2) Dayton Reference RS225 8" woofers
    Rear Door speakers: Stock Boston Acoustic speakers (mostly faded out for slight rearfill)
    Sub amp: JL 1000/1
    Speaker amp: Eclipse EA4000
    Subwoofer: JL Audio 13W7
    Sub enclosure: 2.375 tuned to 30hz

adam71 is offline P9 = Ultimate SQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheVanMan
    It's actually make more sense to get an better alternator. The reason for this is because when you start your car the alternator is basically what keep the electronics running. You see the battery doesn't put out enough current to keep you car electronics running efficiently, it's the alternator. When the alternator doesn't have enough current to feed the electronics then the current is pulled out of the battery. This may seem all and good but as you pull the current from the battery the voltage of the current gets smaller and smaller. The alternator will try to charge the battery but all of it's current is basically being sent to the electronics, so a lot of stress is put on the alternator (which would eventually cause it to fail).
    Actually your battery only powers your system when your car is NOT running. The only reason you connect your audio system to the battery is so you can use it with the car off. When your car is running the Alternator runs everything. When the car is running the battery becomes an accessory just like your audio system, your headlights, your A/C, and your wipers do. So I would say your alternator is the MOST important and should be the first thing to upgrade in your electrical system. You can have a piece of **** battery with a good alternator and have good results but not the other way around. Hope I helped.

Source Unit: Pioneer P9 combo
    Tweeters: CDT DRT-25 Silk
    Mids: CDT ES-5 (5.25")
    Midbass: CDT M6 (6.5")
    Subs: Pioneer TS-W12PRS
    Mid & Tweet amp: Pioneer PRS-X340
    Midbass Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720
    Sub Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720

TheVanMan is offline Why you looking here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You basically repeated what I just said.

However when your alternator can't give enough current the battery is used to make up for the difference. That why you experience voltage drops. Yea, so as I was saying you can have a regular battery and a HO alternator and not have any problems. I know the battery is not being used for an effiecient (keyword there) electrical system when the car is running.

AOL s/n: Bramab
    Current Car: 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Current system (Always under construction):
    Head unit: Kenwood DNX5120
    Front Dash speakers: 3.5 midrange with DRT-25 Tweets
    Front Door speakers: (2) Dayton Reference RS225 8" woofers
    Rear Door speakers: Stock Boston Acoustic speakers (mostly faded out for slight rearfill)
    Sub amp: JL 1000/1
    Speaker amp: Eclipse EA4000
    Subwoofer: JL Audio 13W7
    Sub enclosure: 2.375 tuned to 30hz

adam71 is offline P9 = Ultimate SQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheVanMan
    You basically repeated what I just said.

However when your alternator can't give enough current the battery is used to make up for the difference. That why you experience voltage drops. Yea, so as I was saying you can have a regular battery and a HO alternator and not have any problems. I know the battery is not being used for an effiecient (keyword there) electrical system when the car is running.
    Well, ok then.

Adam

Source Unit: Pioneer P9 combo
    Tweeters: CDT DRT-25 Silk
    Mids: CDT ES-5 (5.25")
    Midbass: CDT M6 (6.5")
    Subs: Pioneer TS-W12PRS
    Mid & Tweet amp: Pioneer PRS-X340
    Midbass Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720
    Sub Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720

Closed Thread