Closed Thread

Reload Thread: 2003 cavalier install help (power issue)

valuepac is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

2003 cavalier install help (power issue)

I just picked up a new 2003 cavalier and i couldnt get my cd deck to work, i used a voltage checker and noticed the accessory (always on yellow cable) has power, but the main power lead has NO power (red cable). How to get POWER to the main lead?

Thanks!

LBX2G is offline R.I.P Camofluage

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i THINK IT IS THE OHTER WAY AROUND. bUT THOSE NEW GM and chevy car and trucks are funny they I do not what to tell. But run a wire striaght from the fuse box. That will solve problem for shure. and it sounds getto but u can make it look perfessonal

FREE Terrelll"peanut" Grayer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

valuepac is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well it stays on when I turn the the car off, how to i run a wire from the fuse box? (im a newbee sorry)

LBX2G is offline R.I.P Camofluage

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just run it behind some trim panel and find some wire that gets around 12 volts of power

FREE Terrelll"peanut" Grayer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VERDIKT is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: 2003 cavalier install help (power issue)

dON'T DO ANYTHING THAT GUY SAYS. IF YOU BYPASS THE FACTORY HEAD UNIT YOU ARE IN FOR SOME HUGH MALFUNCTIONS. THE ONLY WAY TO INSTALL A AFTERMARKET RADIO INTO 03 AND UP CAVIES YOU MUST BUY A SPECIAL WIRING HARNESS THAT RUNS FROM YOUR FACTORY RADIO THAT YOU SHOULD MOUNT IN YOUR TRUNK TO YOUR CD PLAYER. GM'S GENIOUS TECHNISIONS DECIDED THAT IT WOULD BE FUN TO MESS WITH EVERYONE BY MAKING SO THE POWER LOCKS, ANTI THEFT SYSTEM, AIR BAGS AND A FEW OTHER ELECTICAL PARTS ARE ALL WIRED THROUGH THE FACTORY HEAD UNIT. IF YOU BYPASS UR FACTORY UNTIL EVERYTHING COULD GO AT ANY TIME!!!!! I KNOW B/C I HAD TO PAY OVER $3000 TO FIX MY CARE AFTER SOME GUY THOUGHT THAT I SHOULD DO THE SAME THING THAT OTHER GUY SUGGESTED TO YOU. THE WIRING HARNESS COSTS ABOUT $75 BUT MUCH BETTER THN THE ALTERNATIVE

DarrenE46 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VERDIKT
    dON'T DO ANYTHING THAT GUY SAYS. IF YOU BYPASS THE FACTORY HEAD UNIT YOU ARE IN FOR SOME HUGH MALFUNCTIONS. THE ONLY WAY TO INSTALL A AFTERMARKET RADIO INTO 03 AND UP CAVIES YOU MUST BUY A SPECIAL WIRING HARNESS THAT RUNS FROM YOUR FACTORY RADIO THAT YOU SHOULD MOUNT IN YOUR TRUNK TO YOUR CD PLAYER. GM'S GENIOUS TECHNISIONS DECIDED THAT IT WOULD BE FUN TO MESS WITH EVERYONE BY MAKING SO THE POWER LOCKS, ANTI THEFT SYSTEM, AIR BAGS AND A FEW OTHER ELECTICAL PARTS ARE ALL WIRED THROUGH THE FACTORY HEAD UNIT. IF YOU BYPASS UR FACTORY UNTIL EVERYTHING COULD GO AT ANY TIME!!!!! I KNOW B/C I HAD TO PAY OVER $3000 TO FIX MY CARE AFTER SOME GUY THOUGHT THAT I SHOULD DO THE SAME THING THAT OTHER GUY SUGGESTED TO YOU. THE WIRING HARNESS COSTS ABOUT $75 BUT MUCH BETTER THN THE ALTERNATIVE
    First off take it easy on the caps. Second, if its a base model Cavalier (non Z24) w/o the RDS radio you can change the HU no prob. I did it in mine when everyone said that you couldn't. If you do have the RDS radio than you'll have to spend more for a really long harness and install the factory HU in the glove box, behind the dash or even in the trunk so you dont screw up all those electrical connections. If your radio doesn't say RDS on it just get the standard GM harness and you'll be fine.

VERDIKT is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry about caps but i hv a base model 03 cavi and i promise everthing in the car went boom when i tried to turn radio on. The airbag blu up in my face and my anti-theft system sparked so bad it set fire to my floor mats as well as i lost my power locks. ALSO THERE ARE NO 03 Z24 THEY STOPPED MAKING THM IN 01 THIS GUY IS ASKING ABOUT 03 HEAD UNITS. I'M TELLING U I WORK FOR GM AND KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT THEM!
    Last edited by VERDIKT; 10-01-2004 at 03:42 PM. Reason: FORGOT TO ADD SOME COMMENTS

forbidden is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You can go one of two ways with this. The proper and safe way is to use the head unit relocation kit from Scosche or others. www.scosche.com part #GM06. The kit # is GM1583 and the antenna adaptor is MDA1. As a retailer I will take the PROPER steps to ensure that the customer does not have any issues related to the GM class II databus in this vehicle. The GM06 harness is a headunit relocation kit that moves the factory cd player to the rear of the vehicle and keeps the unit in contact with the vehicle computer that pulses the data line every 15 seconds. It is a pain in the a$$ to do, but should be done PROPERLY. I will not guarantee any install on a customers vehicle should they not want to do it properly. Nor can any person responding to you guarantee an install they did not do based on inaccurate or misinformation.

Once the head unit is removed a new line must be found for the red ignition wire on the new cd player. This is most commonly ran to the Pink wire in the vehicle ignition or the Brown wire if you want the unit to work on acc and ignition. Both of these wires are found in the main vehicle harness coming down the steering column from the ignition tumbler.

As far as the reply from VERDIKT goes, the is at the top of the mast.

Yeah, whatever

JoseMCeee is offline $tack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I installed a deck on my 03 cavi and the only thing that didnt work any more was the beeping when i leave keys in the ignition.

Slody4Futbol is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yeah ... it's just door chimes you lose... that and the accessory wire is like 6 volts instead of 12... there's a different kit you can buy from metra... it's some AXXESS harness... it has a seperate box with a speaker in it that does your door chimes... and it converts the 6 volt **or whatever volt** accessory and turns it into 12...

Been out of this for a longgg time...

JoseMCeee is offline $tack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

By the way, I have locked my keys in my car several times to that.....

But you should also be careful on the stock wires. Of course your going to need a adapter to the stock wiring. But be sure you know what your doing or have someone help u. I know cavi's can act really retarded if something gets wired wrong. For example if one of the wires on the adapter is wired in the wrong slot, the car wont start.... took me a while to figure that out. I thought it was out of gas....

Closed Thread

User Tag List