Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Running 4 Channel amp at 2 and 4 ohms

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is okay to do before I do it. Before I begin, I know most people feel that running rear speakers is not the best option, but that is what I would like to do. Here is my plan:

Set of components both the front and rear and two 8 inch subs in the rear deck mounted underneath the 6x9 slots.

I want to run these with two Eclipse XA4000's. The plan is one of the amps to power the mids in the front and the rear, so they will be running at 4 ohms all channels. The other amplifier, I would like to wire the front and back tweeters (both 4 ohm) on the drivers side in parallel creating a 2 ohm load and run them off one channel which would produce 175 watts. I would do the same for the two tweeters on the passenger side. With the last two channels on the 4 channel amplifier, I will wire the two dvc 4ohm subs series and then wire the two each other parallel creating a 4 ohm load and bridge the last two channels of the amplifier producing 350 watts for the two together.

I am wondering if the plan I have for the tweets and the subs seems okay. I have never run different channels of the same amplifier at different loads before. Thanks for any help with this.

Bought From: bjboertje, simpsonbuck, junkgsx, l2poweredgoat, rlm1014, Fast1one, 919motoring, cf2004, SPL_MASTER, DUMPED, wu501, madness26s

Sold To: camaroaudio69, SSS 18734, BushJ311, Sleepy_Jr, Intel_One_USMC, s_mooj, area51, kberkel, Greenlife1

If we've done business and I didn't f you over, leave me some feedback pls: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370898

acubsfan is offline Cubs Fan

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Running 4 Channel amp at 2 and 4 ohms

Anyone out there that can offer assurance that this is an okay way to do it? I am not doing it yet, as I still need a second xa4000, but am just trying to plan ahead.

Bought From: bjboertje, simpsonbuck, junkgsx, l2poweredgoat, rlm1014, Fast1one, 919motoring, cf2004, SPL_MASTER, DUMPED, wu501, madness26s

Sold To: camaroaudio69, SSS 18734, BushJ311, Sleepy_Jr, Intel_One_USMC, s_mooj, area51, kberkel, Greenlife1

If we've done business and I didn't f you over, leave me some feedback pls: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370898

azimuth is offline funded*by*soros

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

i know that you will lose fader and balance control by doing that.

2003 chevy s-10 ext. cab
    hu: jvc kd-avx1
    precision power 356cs components
    front amp: infinity 475a
    sub: diamond audio d6 10d4
    enclosure: 1.1 cubes ported tuned @ 31hz
    sub amp: JL G1700

Adnan is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

it would only complicate tunning your system...i wouldn't do it personally

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I figure I can cut down the power running to the two rear mids to help keep the sound in the rear, and position the tweets facing inward so they are aimed in a fashion where they won't project too much to the front. I know that it is not ideal for a sound quality setup, but I am tired of people complaining about how they only hear lows in the back. I shouldn't lose balance with this. Only for the subs which is fine.

As far as fade, I don't have fade now running just 2 way active up front and a sub so it is no loss really.

Is the actual wiring okay for the amplifier though? I am not exactly a pro and I want to make sure I am not going to cause any issues with the amplifier itself doing this.

shaneb is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The amp will be fine running at different impedance.

Sold To: L22rules; jeffrey1970; PABowhunter4life; allout13; atsaubrey; horsemanwill
    Bought From: brentbarrie; wgsj_fortvalley; horsemanwill; jaredspl; atsaubrey

Reference Thread - http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365202
    Engine Whine Free Since 11.26.08

Team Mafia "Killing the competition with silence"

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1169 Post(s)

I run my Helix like that, 2ohm to the mids and 4ohm to the tweets. Been running like that for about 2 years now...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool thanks for letting me know. Hey mlstrass, I see you have a high output alternator in an Altima, can I ask where you picked that up? Mine probably wouldn't be the same since it an 06, but maybe that manufacturer would have one available? You know if sticking one of those on does anything to the factory warranty?

shaneb is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acubsfan View Post
    Cool thanks for letting me know. Hey mlstrass, I see you have a high output alternator in an Altima, can I ask where you picked that up? Mine probably wouldn't be the same since it an 06, but maybe that manufacturer would have one available? You know if sticking one of those on does anything to the factory warranty?
    I don't know personally. But logic says Nissan will not warrant a aftermarket Alternator unless they made it, and installed it.
    I know even putting a new exhaust or a intake can void a honda warranty

Sold To: L22rules; jeffrey1970; PABowhunter4life; allout13; atsaubrey; horsemanwill
    Bought From: brentbarrie; wgsj_fortvalley; horsemanwill; jaredspl; atsaubrey

Reference Thread - http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365202
    Engine Whine Free Since 11.26.08

Team Mafia "Killing the competition with silence"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah for sure I wouldn't expect them to warranty the alternator itself, but I am wondering if they will try and back out any warranty at all using the alternator as an excuse.

Closed Thread

User Tag List