Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Yellow Top question

Blue Fury is offline Quagmire's Chin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yellow Top question

Taken straight from the 1st-optima-batteries.com FAQ section:

"Question: Can I hook an OPTIMA in parallel with a different battery?
    Answer: No, when hooking batteries together in parallel, they should be of the same type and similar age."

Is this really the case? I read about a lot of people running a yellow top and some other battery. What bad could happen?

***My build: 2 SSA Xcons, Sundown, Vifa, TB, Hertz, 880prs, etc.***
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=359675

CA Refs: bought from: Jacka, bones22, civicman07, Zeuslicious, 90accordman, DesertDawg(<---EXCELLENT seller)
    Sold to: 97accordalpine, Jgyolai, brenTgrillzem, nicksredline, lantz, bagged97tacoma, Plottin4success, microhaxo
    ROE Refs: Bought from delvryboy, jnralp00, dcmcki, Mxman38, Excessive Amperage, GoinDef154, blackdragonx118, Assman.

Currently For sale: Everything

gotparts90 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Yellow Top question

I talked to the engineers when I used to work for johnson controls and they said best to match all the batteries down to the model and lot number. other people will say different but I guess those people must have done more extensive testing. If you do just get an isolator. If you use an isolator when at rest they will not be connected.

O my liver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But driving is what Ill be using my car for mostly..

what bad could happen?

CA Refs: bought from: Jacka, bones22, civicman07, Zeuslicious, 90accordman, DesertDawg(<---EXCELLENT seller)
    Sold to: 97accordalpine, Jgyolai, brenTgrillzem, nicksredline, lantz, bagged97tacoma, Plottin4success, microhaxo
    ROE Refs: Bought from delvryboy, jnralp00, dcmcki, Mxman38, Excessive Amperage, GoinDef154, blackdragonx118, Assman.

grassroots is offline needs car audio rehab

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the only thing "bad" thing that i could see happening is that if they had different float voltages, one would try to balance the other out and visa versa and it would essentially shorten the life span of the batteries. at least this is what i have heard... i personally run a yellow top up front and an HC200 in the cab and have been for almost two years now without an issue...

refs: got em

BassAddictJ is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
    the only thing "bad" thing that i could see happening is that if they had different float voltages, one would try to balance the other out and visa versa and it would essentially shorten the life span of the batteries. at least this is what i have heard... i personally run a yellow top up front and an HC200 in the cab and have been for almost two years now without an issue...
    correct. the main issue is one battery pulling energy off the other battery to balance out. this is most likely going to happen if one battery is more particularly drained than the other. if you have a more than adequate charging system then this wont be an issue. One well respected alternator builder told me "not to even bother with an isolator" since my charging system would more than adequate for what i was running.

commonly you'll see 2 different types and sizes of bats off a stock alty (no isolator), ussually there isn't an issue, and if there was, it takes a bit of time before it is noticeable. if you have a semi stock setup like this avoid going full tilt with your rpm's low, it helps when the stock alty is pumping out as much as it can during full tilt. i've done that for years on semi stock electrical and never had any issues. i'd imagine it takes months to years for damage to be noticed, and thats if it'll happen.

you always could play it safe and get a solenoid that can handle 400amps (or less amperage if you aren't completely nuts like some of us) and put it inline between the batteries on the power wire. solenoids are switches than when you turnthe car off it'll seperate the connection of the power wires on either side of it, thus disconnecting the batteries from each other when the car is off.....

Team American Power Systems
    Pioneer Avic N5 Navi + CD-UB100 USB Adapter. RARE Circa 1996 PPI Ax606.2 in BLACK (1 of 400ish made) with 2 rare black graphic spacers.
    CDT DRT-25 1'' Silk Dome Tweeters / CDT ES-04 4'' Midranges / RE Audio XXX 6.5'' 2ohm Neo Mids In Glassed Kick Pods
    American Power Systems 240amp H.O. Alty / (2) Deka 8a31, 1/0 front to back.
    Unknown Prototype 3k @ 1ohm. TRF/PSI 8 layer 4in coil hybrid beast in 3 cubs @ 33Hz / Raammat 40sqft in the trunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haunz View Post
    You could put 12V to my balls and clamp my dick to get 3kW+.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
    Glad this got bumped so I could fap to it again.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

200A alt hooked up already, big 3 in 1/0, NSB 90 in back with 1/0 from front to back.

jco1385 is offline expert jcologist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

i run a YT and a Orbital together and zero problems

they probably want you to buy a second YT

1994 Thunderbird
    JVC KD-AV7010
    Alpine 6x9 3-ways
    Pioneer 6x8 3-ways (rear)
    JVC CH-X1500 12-disc MP3 Changer
    Alpine Type X 12" 2 cubes @ 30hz
    MTX 404 runs the inside
    MTX 1501d runs the X
    Optima G75/25 RT up front
    2x Optima G31 YT in the trunk
    200a EA HO Alt (1/0 Big 3)
    ALL MY WIRE IS WELDING CABLE
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
    I always knew I was a feggot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashaddd View Post
    We're all feggots on the inside
    Quote Originally Posted by ToledoTom View Post
    I am sure the administration will be having a few words with you when they catch wind of your language.
    DO NOT SEND ME ANYTHING USING UPS. I WILL NOT DEAL WITH THEM EVER AGAIN
    OFFICIAL FEEDBACK THREAD

Closed Thread