Closed Thread

Reload Thread: High Level input or low level input?

itsbmw is offline Real Talk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

High Level input or low level input?

I am currently running off of the High level input on my amp because I installed my amps/subs before I got an aftermarket headunit. now that I have an aftermarket deck(kenwood KDC-MP238) should I use the low level input from that or just continue with the high level input. Just wondering if it'll make a difference :\

DNick454 is offline Honda + Subs = Rattles :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: High Level input or low level input?

Low level inputs, aka RCA cables, are the better option in your instance. RCA's are shielded and have a ground, so the amp gets a better ground reference for the the signal. Plus you dont have to have your full range speaker wires in the car all spliced up either.

1st post yay!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DNick454 View Post
    Low level inputs, aka RCA cables, are the better option in your instance. RCA's are shielded and have a ground, so the amp gets a better ground reference for the the signal. Plus you dont have to have your full range speaker wires in the car all spliced up either.

1st post yay!
    haha, I already Have my high levels soldered in and ran under the carpet :p I will run RCA's soon tho if it will really make a big difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I honestly can't say the difference will be huge, BUT... if your head unit has special RCA outputs specifically for subs (as many do) then it would be good to run some RCA's, that way you can use the built in levels on the head unit. On mine, I have the subwoofer levels all the way up with the overall bass setting at 0. That way it takes some bass of the full ranges in the car and sends most back to the subs. I can push the overall system harder without the full ranges in the car distorting badly and sounding like crap.

EDIT: almost forgot to ask, but I have a buddy that want's some boom in his trunk and I told him I'd hook it up for him, if you are able to, could you snap a picture of what you did behind the radio to run the high levels? I'm curious as to how to set those up. I'm assuming you dont actually disconnect from or back. I'm guessing you just splice into the front or back ones and split the signal and send it to the amp correct?

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The difference in signal won't be that noticeable. Shielding isn't an issue because the higher voltage makes the high level signal pretty immune to noise.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My question would be then, why doesn't everyone just use high level inputs. I usually hear that RCA cables are the way to go for that sort of thing.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well not all amps have highlevel inputs, mine does(also has low level) which Is why I am using them because I used them before I had an aftermarket deck. If you only have RCA input then obviously RCA is the way to go. Thanks everyone.

Closed Thread