Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

JL w0 vs w3

*EDIT*
    scroll to post #12 of this thread (link) the discussion has changed and I would like more advice.

anyone have an opinion on this,
    2 12w0 8ohm ....vs.... 1 12w3v3 4ohm (or 2ohm)

I currently have 2 12"w0's and was thinking of upgrading to 1 12" w3v3, I guess i'm curious if you think this would actually be an upgrade or not?
    Last edited by atown; 09-09-2008 at 12:12 PM.

mike70wu is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: JL w0 vs w3

Of course its an upgrade but if your really looking for some big improvement you should upgrade to w6's

DBDRAGGUY is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am currently using a 12w0 in my daily setup and it is suprisingly very nice. I toasted my IDV3 and the JL is actually very close. W3 will get you a little more linear travel.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...me=STRK:ME:UFS
    Dealt with:Worlddre,KeifersRacing,Crxbmpn,76Nova,Foote,F astimes,Bad @ss Chevy,themommyvan,22mountaineer,Tacosys.Fiercetimb o17,RAB, djman37,dtbrown,Louisana CRX,Tricked,Tinted,dcmcki,99grandprixGT,FLOSSINON2 4S

BAD EXPERIENCE WITH bigredhybrid AKA JIM BECKER

91 Honda Crx. Street C 155.7 db
    Usaci Stock 1800-3000 158.0 db
    Usaci Stock 601-1800 154.9 db
    Usaci Super Port Wars 174.1 db

Real Old School >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38_MwcGDNhQ

atown is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool thanks guys. My 2 w0's are nice, I love them they bump crazy hard. But I just want a little nicer speaker, and the linear travel is mainly what I'm going for. I was just a little worried that I would be dissapointed going from 2 subs to 1. But I was hoping that the big jump in the type of sub would cover that gap.

a w6 would definitely be nice, but I think at this point the w3 is good for my price range.
    So can 1 w3 really give me the same incredible sound that i get from the 2? the way the apostrophe s's are placed in mike's post makes me think you think I'm going to get 2 w3's

JLJunkieMX107 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Get on ebay and snag a couple W3 version 1's (old school looking with bubbled dust cap with JL Logo). They hit very hard for what you can pick them up for

Everything's better with a FREAK

phensway is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have some JL's for sale, speak of the devil. I have one 12w3 d2 the first version, two 10w3 D4 the second version, and six 10w6 the first version. Each and everyone are in mint condition! the 12w3v1 BANGS!!! Love the first version of JL better than any other!

2004 Silverado Crew Cab on 24's
    Pioneer 5900dvd 7" flip out
    9" Flip down monitor
    7" Headrest monitors
    Sundown, Focal, JL audio

References = Bigbowtie, Johnzp, loudwhat?, dcmcki, blackbonnie, revrider1, 310w6, Haunz, superbang, grimreper912003, cx-7heaven, brandonf.

atown is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JLJunkieMX107 View Post
    Get on ebay and snag a couple W3 version 1's (old school looking with bubbled dust cap with JL Logo). They hit very hard for what you can pick them up for
    Quote Originally Posted by phensway View Post
    I have some JL's for sale, speak of the devil. I have one 12w3 d2 the first version, two 10w3 D4 the second version, and six 10w6 the first version. Each and everyone are in mint condition! the 12w3v1 BANGS!!! Love the first version of JL better than any other!
    The w3v1 hits harder and better than the w3v3?
    I found the w3v3 for 170$ which seems like a good deal to me, but i dunno

atown is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Would a 12w3v2 (unkown ohm rating, it's a craigslist ad) be better than a 12w3v3?

Bassphreak is offline Ground Poundin' bass

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Are you set on JL?I am in no way hating on JL (real nice subs) but for the money you CAN get better.

atown is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No I'm not set, and from reading through this and tons of other car audio forums I'd say it'd be a bad thing for me to be a JL Junkie. hah. I'm not really set on it, but I do like the type of sound the JL 12's that I've heard produce compared to the other types, mtx, sony xplod, kicker, pioneer, alpine, I'm sure i'm forgetting a few, but those are just a few of what I've actually been able to hear in a good environment and get a grasp of. I like phoenix gold a lot, I've only heard them once in a car environment, and then 1 other time in a instore display, but I do like them.
    I am open to suggestions, but it's hard for me to agree on something else because I want to be able to hear it first, my opinion of what makes good sound could be different from someone else. It's a crappy situation to be in, but I just don't have a lot of opportunites to hear other brands in a good environment.

atown is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So I went to a couple places today, sadly none of them had the setup room to listen to the subs, but i still looked around.
    I want to rephrase my question

I have 2 12" JL w0 8ohm. They're not wired down to 4ohm. And they're running off of a MTX Bluethunder 300x2 amp.

What I want is to move down to 1 sub, and a different amp, and a new box. but still bumping out excellent sound. I'm also moving from a small SUV to a car.
    I have about 400$ to spend on a sub and amp, with this in mind, what would you suggest? I'm okay with searching for deals too, i do that with everything else so why not car audio.

atown is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So I ended up going with 2 JL 12"W3v2's for 100$ w/ a box **** good deal if you ask me. This whole thing is for my friend actually though. So we went and tested it out and it was good, put it in the back of my honda passport, just had to throw it on top of my current box. The guy had it wired parallel so we unhooked one of my subs and plugged that box in and still had one of my subs running. 2 12" JL w3v2's and 1 JL 12" w0. oh my god it sounded sick. reminded me of the amazing sound that my brothers car would put out for the 8 months i got to drive it while he was in vegas. the kind that alters your heart beat.

but enough of that, the sad news.
    the box doesn't fit in his car. He has a 1998 pontiac grand am. as we saw the box we both knew it wouldn't but hell it was 100$ so why the hell not.
    so now I need a box for 2 JL 12's to fit in his car. does anyone have any suggestions?
    also he needs an amp for them. so suggestions on that would also be appreciated. i'm pretty sure he has about 300$ to spend on both the amp and box.

Closed Thread

User Tag List