Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need Help: First-time installing head unit and damaged some electrical systems

majinwu is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need Help: First-time installing head unit and damaged some electrical systems

I was trying to install an aftermarket headunit and lo and behold I did not disconnect the car battery before I started. I already realize my boneheaded mistake.

Anyways, I'm having these electrical issues:

- If I reinstall my stock headunit, it does not power on when I turn the engine on
    - When the engine's off, my power door locks do not work
    - When the engine's off, my remote door locks do not work
    - Whenever I turn my engine on, my trip mileage counter resets.

Other electrical systems such as lights and blinkers work fine when the engine is off. And when the engine is on, AC, power locks, power windows, lights, etc all work fine as well.

My friend who is familiar with aftermarket installation checked my fuse box and did not see anything getting wrong. He says that most likely I short circuited something, but it will be a pain to figure out where. He says I'll need to get a volt meter find where there's a closed circuit, but I don't even know where to start.

Does anyone know what I can do in this situation?

If all else fails, I'll just have to reinstall the factory headunit and bring my car in to a Honda dealership. My car is due for a 60,000 mile maintenance anyways, but I know they will charge an arm and a leg to fix my electrical problems.

Thanks

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need Help: First-time installing head unit and damaged some electrical systems

I checked my owner's manual and found out there are specific fuses that control the radio, power locks, etc. I'll check them again. Maybe that's the root cause.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need Help: First-time installing head unit and damaged some electrical systems

I checked the fuses for the Radio and the Door locks, they look fine... I didn't notice any burn marks at all. What else is there to check?

fwb_1234 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well did it spark at any time? I mean, you can actually do it live, it's just really dumb, cause it's easy to mix wires.
    I wonder if the car has any more fuseboxes. Other wise, check very carefully to make sure no wires are touching behind your dash. Look very carefully. Perhaps you pulled something out of molex connector or something.

Refs: SeanDub, jblanford, 95BlackGA, Flipx99, BiaBia

crawlinYJ is offline Super Gangster

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

did you use a harness or did you splice into factory wiring?

if you used a harness, remove it, install the factory radio and see if the problems persist.

bass-aholic is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

im willing to bet its just a fuse you cant seem to locate.

Synyster97XLT
    Science can fly planes across oceans. Religion sends them straight into buildings.

2 18" btl's
    10^3 35 hz
    2 GP3000d pro's.
    250 amp alt
    3 extra batts
    8 5" dayton mids
    Rockford p300.2
    All knu fleks 1/0
    CD-IB100II

Refs and feedback \/
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431785

01 S 10 is offline LOUD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bass-aholic View Post
    im willing to bet its just a fuse you cant seem to locate.
    x2

hopefully!

-2005 GMC Sierra SLE crew cab
    -Pioneer Avic-d3, factory BOSE

JRock10 is offline You might know me from OT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what year and model?

Refs:
    Bought from: spoonraker, 99StangGt, Tehgregzor, lrc131, thaster
    Sold to: lilcarus, lysfys

My feedback thread

bl0ckd is offline is awesome like Obama.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He says that most likely I short circuited something, but it will be a pain to figure out where. He says I'll need to get a volt meter find where there's a closed circuit, but I don't even know where to start.
    x2.

Are any electrical components completely dead, or do they all just act funny?

The Whip: 2000 Grand Prix GT
    Head Unit: Stock
    Front Speakers: Alpine SPS-13C2
    Rear Speakers: Alpine SPS-69C3
    Front Stage Amplifier: None
    Subwoofer: 12" Kicker Solo-X 04S12X2
    Amplifier: Fusion RE-AM90010

My Rebuild Log

|| My eBay (bl0ckd) | ClubGP | My CarDomain ||

bamaboy is offline War Eagle!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by majinwu View Post
    I checked the fuses for the Radio and the Door locks, they look fine... I didn't notice any burn marks at all. What else is there to check?
    fuses arent going to flame up and burn stuff

pull them out and go ahead and replace them, could look fine but have a bad connection in them

thats the only thing i can think it would be, everything in the car is fused, check the ones in the car and under the hood

04 Explorer
    Kenwood DDX812
    RF 3Sixty.2
    T6004
    T4002
    T40001bd
    Hertz MLK-2 running Active
    Hertz HCX165
    4x DC Audio LVL 4 12"s

Summer 09' Build...Operation:Pull Wall out, put new subs in DONE!
    Build
    Photobucket
    now with video

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I only checked the 2 fuses which are meant for the radio and door locks. There's actually two compartments for fuses: one underneath the steering wheel, and one under the hood. I'll check all of them to make sure none are burnt out. All the fuses should be in these 2 areas.

I did not notice any sparks or any noise at all during my boneheaded installation process.

I used a harness. Right now I completely removed the headunit. It's just bare right now.

It's 2003 Civic EX Auto.

I donno if there are any components that are "completely dead". Like I said, when the engine is off, nothing works (door locks, remote control door locks, trip mileage counter resets). Once I turn on the engine, things work again. But the radio doesn't work regardless.

csnut18 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok I have the answer for you. Their are certain main fuses that are in your underhood fuse box that are at the beginning of your entire electrical curcuit and are inline with the door locks as well as certain acc etc. In addition to any radio fuses you blew, you need to check that underhood fuse box and I promise you will find the culprit. The fact that the door locks stopped working is not something to be concerned about and I am certain that its a underhood fuse as this has personally happened to me before.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks everyone. Everything's fine now.

Turns out there was one fuse under the hood that was burned out. It's the fuse labeled "Back Up" according to the owner's manual. Replaced it with one of the replacement fuses and everything's back to normal.

audiolife is offline WhAt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yup i was just going to say it is an always hot wire for it to do what you said it wasnt doing with the engine off. alot of guys with 90's fords blow fuses for the radio one is under the hood that not many people check lol

Sony Mobile ES C-90 Audison Bit-One
    Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

Closed Thread