User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Single Amp Kit w/Distribution Block???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Single Amp Kit w/Distribution Block???

All right, I have my first system completed and the receiver + speakers installed. The only thing I have left to get set up is my amp (Lanzar Vibe430). I need to buy an amp kit that will handle around 1000 watts max, which as I understand it is either 4 or 8 gauge wire. I just went to Walmart to look at some seat covers and happend to notice that they have a few different install kits. The one that would fit my needs was listed as the 350-1100 watt kit, but it was a bit different from others that I have seen. Instead of providing one strand of power wire, the kit includes 14 feet of 4 gauge, a distribution block, and then 6 feet of 8 gauge. I figure that the kit is set up like this to provide flexibility for those who are going to use 2 amps. I, however, am only using one and would like to know if it is all right to just run one wire out of the distribution block without any problems. It seems fine to me, but I want to make sure that there won't be any power surges or anything if I use that kit. Thanks for your help.

Heres a link to the kit:
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...3A3947%3A96490

Gauntlet is offline bulletproof

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would work fine....but there's really no point in doing it unless your amp only accepts 8AWG power/ground inputs...

"The world is full of people who want nothing short of perfect,
    but settle for less, blinded by their quest for purpose."
    - Slug

snatz20 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

invest in some decent wiring

wiring is the key to a high quality system. if ur really trying to take this seriously go with 4 gauge and a real car amplifier wiring kit. i have EFX wiring and i couldnt be happier with the sound. my buddies have rockford, pheniox gold, boss, and audiobahn wiring kits and they arent too expensive and are totally worth the investment. if ur a real cheap *** u can always by a kit like that and go out and spend another $50+ on some high quality RCA's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: invest in some decent wiring

Originally posted by snatz20
    wiring is the key to a high quality system. if ur really trying to take this seriously go with 4 gauge and a real car amplifier wiring kit. i have EFX wiring and i couldnt be happier with the sound. my buddies have rockford, pheniox gold, boss, and audiobahn wiring kits and they arent too expensive and are totally worth the investment. if ur a real cheap *** u can always by a kit like that and go out and spend another $50+ on some high quality RCA's.

There's no such thing as a "real" car amplifier wiring it.....wire is wire. Plain and simple. I've used Wal-Mart kits for years and I've had absolutely no problems whatsoever, and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

- Slug

FullThrottle7 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I think I'll get that kit. If the distribution block isn't going to be a problem, then the kit is perfect and at the right price. I do have another question, though. I need to buy a little bit of speaker wire so that I can hook my sub up to the terminals of the box. What is the smallest (smaller = cheaper ) gauge wire that I should use to accomplish this? The sub will be getting about 300 watts RMS. As an afterthought, will I need to get some type of cover for the hole of the distribution block that won't have a wire in it so that the electricity doesn't contact anything? Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by FullThrottle7
    Thanks guys, I think I'll get that kit. If the distribution block isn't going to be a problem, then the kit is perfect and at the right price. I do have another question, though. I need to buy a little bit of speaker wire so that I can hook my sub up to the terminals of the box. What is the smallest (smaller = cheaper ) gauge wire that I should use to accomplish this? The sub will be getting about 300 watts RMS. As an afterthought, will I need to get some type of cover for the hole of the distribution block that won't have a wire in it so that the electricity doesn't contact anything? Thanks again.
    How much are you getting the kit for? It'd be easier to not have to deal with the distro block since you don't need it and just get something like this http://www.knukonceptz.com/detail.asp?product_id=KOLAK4

As fas as speaker wire for your subs, anywhere from 12-18AWG is fine....although 12/14 is overkill for your setup....you should be fine with 16/18...

- Slug

FullThrottle7 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The kit will actually be about the same price as the KnuKonceptz kit (about $25), which I've looked at before, but my dad's credit card company wrote up his last bill wrong and he won't let me buy anymore stuff for my car online for a while. Also, the kit is at Walmart, which is about 5 minutes from my house, so he will be able to see the kit before I buy it. If the KnuKonceptz kit is that much better, however, I could try to persuade him to buy online. Let me know what you think about the difference between the two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by FullThrottle7
    The kit will actually be about the same price as the KnuKonceptz kit (about $25), which I've looked at before, but my dad's credit card company wrote up his last bill wrong and he won't let me buy anymore stuff for my car online for a while. Also, the kit is at Walmart, which is about 5 minutes from my house, so he will be able to see the kit before I buy it. If the KnuKonceptz kit is that much better, however, I could try to persuade him to buy online. Let me know what you think about the difference between the two.
    No real difference in terms of quality, it's just easier to use b/c you don't have to deal with the unncessary distro block...

- Slug

Matador is offline -= StillBumping =-

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    poeple have their own opinions, but WIRE IS NOT JUST WIRE. wire from home depot aint the same from the top of the line of street wire. same purpose, but not same quality and shield.

to answer your q, u dotn need distro if u only gonna run one amp. a kit wit just one power wire in wallmart should be fine. you could get like knuconceptz and other stufff, but i believe teh kits at wallmart r usu from scosche, good company.

tommyk90 is offline THE WHOLE THING!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Matador
    poeple have their own opinions, but WIRE IS NOT JUST WIRE. wire from home depot aint the same from the top of the line of street wire. same purpose, but not same quality and shield.
    Here we go. Wonder how this one's gonna turn out.

Team Kicker (R.I.P.)
    Team Sundown
    Team Maxxsonics
    Team XS Power
    Team DD
    Team Audio Technix
    Team B2 Audio
    Team Mechman
    Team Tantric Sounds

2008 Bassrace 130-139.9 Regional and National Champion
    2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2012 MECA Champion (S1, SR1, DB1, S2, S3, S4)

One DD 9510 powered by two Sundown SAZ-2500's
    Kicker KS tweeters, MB Quart 5.25's active on an MB Quart DSC480
    Kicker wiring throughout.

paikiah is offline Wangaholic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uh oh, another blood bath in the making...

just hope jlaine doesn't see this and become all technical again...

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    Seas 27TDF/C, RE XXX 6.5, custom xo (dyn 240GT sitting idle)
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22
    Soundstream picasso 1400.1D

Bass drive-by's are uncool.

Matador is offline -= StillBumping =-

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

snatz20 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you kidding, there is a serious difference between an EFX kit and a walmart kit, the RCA's have higher grade insulation to prevent interference. i havent seen a walmart kit that has had OFHC wires and who knows what metal they actually used. My EFX kit costed me $65 canadian and for the extra couple bucks i got a whole lot more

SasquatchBump is offline SQ is better

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK,

RCA's- there is NO I repeat NO audible difference between a set of $15 and $50 RCA's.
    the only thing to look for is proper shielding and gold plated ends. when you're driving in your car, you will not be able to hear a difference between a knukonceptz RCA and a monster RCA. I believe JLaine did an experiment with a cord from a house lamp with RCA ends and there was no audible difference.

Power Wire- Wire is Wire. You're going to get a little bit of electronic noise wherever you go for wire. I personally have done experiments with Electronic Noise Testers and even the human body gives off noise. Again, the shielding on the power cable only has to be about 2 millimeters thick to be effective.

Secondly, the only difference you MIGHT have between expensive power cable and cheaper power cable is the strand count in the cable. Higher strand count means that you will be able to have more voltage run through the wire which means more wattage that your amps can pull. If the strand count is the same, There is NO difference.

hence, the Monster Cable marketing ploy is just that, a marketing ploy. In home audio, there is a difference between the RCA's that come with your DVD/home entertainment system and cables bought seperately. Thats in HOME audio. In car audio, with the "tainted" sound medium which your car is, there will be no audible difference.
    Last edited by SasquatchBump; 05-04-2003 at 12:28 PM.

1994 Probe SE

HU: Alpine 7893
    Front Stage: JL XR 6.5" CSI
    Rear: Who Cares....
    Speaker Amp: JBL 180.2
    Sub Amp: Avionixx 500m
    Sub: Elemental 12O.44 getting 500+ watts
    EQ: Audio Control
    80 Sq feet of deadener

awalbert88 is offline Blame Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to preface what I'm going to say here, this is all based on my experience with having read through countless debates on this subject on countless different forums.

Wire is wire. Anybody who confuses the term wire with cable needs to be smacked upside the head. Wire is just the conductive element, whereas cable also includes the insulation and any connecting ends used.

The only difference between $0.85 RadioShack cables and $200 Monster cables is the insulation used and the connector ends. The most critical part is that the connector be tight and secure. For insulation, you only need enough to prevent any significant cross-talk between different wire sets. There is some debate over the idea of FM interference, but if the insulation is strong enough to prevent cross-talk, it should already be strong enough to prevent said interference.

While I certainly don't suggest getting the absolute cheapest RS cables you can (because the connectors and insulation are about as good as used toilet paper), there is nothing wrong with the el-cheapo Walmart cables. As long as the connecting end is tight and secure and not prone to oxidation (ie. just a lose copper end), and as long as the insulation is not paper-thin, you should be fine. Theoretically, some noise will still get in and hurt the quality of the singal. But if you think that's a problem, then maybe you should tear apart your HU and amps and start shielding every loose piece of wire in there to prevent crosstalk. Think of all those high-current components in close proximity! Just imagine how much noise gets into the system from all those unshielded wires! *cough*

Just get the Walmart stuff, you won't regret it.

JLaine, I hope I didn't get any of this wrong, but feel free to knock me off my high horse if I'm wrong.

JL Audio 12W7, JBL BP300.1

1993 Mercury Capri XR2
    1998 Ford Mustang
    1989 Audi 100 Quattro
    2000 Buick Regal GS

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast