Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need opinions on new system...

ImmortalFreak91 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need opinions on new system...

I didn't realize I wrote a novel here until I was finished, but please read on and help me out a bit, I'd really appreciate it!

To start, I do not know the first thing about any of this Car Audio stuff. I've heard good things about Phoenix Gold, JL Audio, Exile, Focal, and Hertz stuff from some guys that are pretty credible. Granted, most of the equipment from those brands is expensive (out of my current price range), as you get what you pay for I'd assume.

Anyhow, so today I bought a Kole Audio QX2-980 - $120
    (http://tinyurl.com/3ct8y6)

And 2 10" Scosche EFX Hyperdrive subs - $70 ea, $140 total
    (http://tinyurl.com/2uh9xy)

Anyway, the point is I am having some second thoughts about what I purchased as I think maybe I have rushed into this. Like I said I am new to all of this so I really don't know what to look for. I looked online after I bought this stuff for some reviews, but I think I found a total of like 3 or 4, one of which was stating Kole is terrible.

So, I want some of your opinions? Did I jump into this too fast, and if so (I will return this stuff if necessary, as I haven't done anything but take these things out of the box and look at them) what is a better route to choose?

My problem is I want the stuff now rather than waiting 2 pay checks and getting good quality stuff. My question is, if these subs/amp are garbage, what should I do assuming I want to get my system up and running as fast as I can (but at the same time having some good equipment)?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need opinions on new system...

Before someone asks, I drive a '00 Ford Ranger, I am not willing to give up my back seat so what we plan to do is build a box that sits under the jump seats and goes from door to door in the back. I'll just have people be VERY careful when sitting back there.

I don't need anything too bumpin', I just want a reliable system that hits relatively hard and will last a while... And at the same time I want my back seat. 10"s will do just fine.

azeroth123 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

at first look I'd say a big yes to you jumping in too fast... scosche is very weak, generally considered the walmart brand around here, like for example I have a budget system and I got 2 lowend MTX 12" subs in an enclosure from Crutchfield shipped for the same price or even a bit less... Yeah Focal and Hertz are some of the top end brands rainbow also, probably not your deal... I have some pioneer amps, I like em they do what they are supposed to and are built well for less than yours, I would stick to the good names you hear around here, jl, alpine, hifonics, etc. pyle, pyramid, audiobahn, lanzar are generally considered sub par... but it really all comes down to the fact that if you like the result with some equipment then great go with it. I'd say do a good deal of research before jumping in, it looks easy on the surface but you will hit problems if it is your first time.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You're saying JL Audio is sub par? I've heard nothing but good things from them. I talked to a guy who won some Canadian Championships for something to do with his stereo system in his car and he reccomended JL, Hertz, Focal, Rainbow, and all that stuff I mentioned.

IDSkoT is offline Resonating Reticular

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalFreak91 View Post
    You're saying JL Audio is sub par? I've heard nothing but good things from them. I talked to a guy who won some Canadian Championships for something to do with his stereo system in his car and he reccomended JL, Hertz, Focal, Rainbow, and all that stuff I mentioned.
    He said JL Audio is good.

That period at the end of ect. was supposed to end the sentence, I believe. Kind of misleading, I'll admit. I guess you have to have a bit of knowledge before you can decipher it; 'cause JL Audio = Top End, And Audiobahn = Low End Flashy Garbage.

As for the system, return it. I've never even heard of Kole, honestly.

I personally have no experience with what good low-end subs to buy (Honestly, I jumped into it too quickly myself, and got 2-10" JBL subwoofers, which I like. But, there's a lot of people will probably say I could've gotten better. Granted I spent $80 dollars on two brand new JBL subs shipped directly from JBL).

And what you should try to realize, 1 good 12" is better than 2 shotty 10"s... well, the size is irrelevant, really. Just 1 good sub is better than 2 shotty ones.

Anyway, good luck, man.

Now designing / building boxes.
    (Only building sealed and aero port boxes.)
    PM me.

Feedback Thread

Refs: MSW Danny, atsaubrey (great seller), ampjunkielikeme, wgsj_fortvalley, tEh koRnDog, bad @SS chevy, Nismos14 (who is the man. )

memphis_vette is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

take the stuff back u can get way better for the price

System
    2008 Silverado LTZ
    H/U- Stock
    Speakers- Stock
    Amp- DD M2b
    Subs- 2x10" FI SSD's fully loaded and high QTS option
    Box- Sealed 1.2^3 downfire
    Wiring- 4 gauge knu flex
    References Jacobman, Kmanian, marksrobert77, Beatnoutdaframe, tukn18s, Davidt487, Snakeye, Firebird 1991

memphis_vette is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

x2 on never hearing about kole

System
    2008 Silverado LTZ
    H/U- Stock
    Speakers- Stock
    Amp- DD M2b
    Subs- 2x10" FI SSD's fully loaded and high QTS option
    Box- Sealed 1.2^3 downfire
    Wiring- 4 gauge knu flex
    References Jacobman, Kmanian, marksrobert77, Beatnoutdaframe, tukn18s, Davidt487, Snakeye, Firebird 1991

VtecDis is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kole Audio is made by Power Acoustik. And currently using one of their amps, im very happy with it. Although i do want more kick now, im looking for another amp with a higher wattage. not sure about the actual ratings on it tho. so yeah, just thought ild put in my 2 cents.

weld wire for sale.. or cash+ trade for 4 ga
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-classifieds/498098-socal-oc-weld-wire-w-pix-make-offer-cash-trade-4-ga.html

my old man says he knows im almost home when the house starts to shake

Closed Thread