Closed Thread

Reload Thread: '86 Honda civic..help HU install...colored wires!

Unregistered Guest

'86 Honda civic..help HU install...colored wires!

Okay, i have an '86 honda civic and a pioneer deh-p4400 that i need ot install. the pioneer comes with a set of its own wires that you plug into but the factory radio is gone and the wires have been cut......

so all i see inside my radio dash is a bunched-up set of colored wires but the colors don't match the wires that came with the pioneer head unit...so i dunt want to hook up the wrong ****.....

anybody know where i can get color code converters or a chart?

thanks!

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    your best bet would be to search the internet or to go to a junk yard and buy another connecter it would probably only be a couple of dollars....i was having the same problem w/ my cavalier....it was borken into and instead of unplugin the harnes they cut my old wires so i couldnt even hook my factory deck up so currently i have no tunes...
    but i found a web stie that had a chart and i also found a place that sold the connectors...a bit expensive though....

natem33 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Goddyd4me
    your best bet would be to search the internet or to go to a junk yard and buy another connecter it would probably only be a couple of dollars....i was having the same problem w/ my cavalier....it was borken into and instead of unplugin the harnes they cut my old wires so i couldnt even hook my factory deck up so currently i have no tunes...
    but i found a web stie that had a chart and i also found a place that sold the connectors...a bit expensive though....
    Like he said, I would go to a junk yard and pick up a similar factory wire harness. I wouldn't install it, but use it to compare where the wires would match up with the aftermarket installation harness that goes between the Pioneer wires and the factory wiring. You could post an exact description of the wires in your vehicle and the wires comming off of the Pioneer harness. I may be able to explain what wires go where, but no guarantee. Just for starters, the wires that are matching pairs in color are the speaker wires (usualy brown, green, some with stripes, some without). The black is ground, the ornage is illumination, the blue is turn on wire, one red is for power antannae and the other is constant power, the yellow is switchable power...but this is very general and can vary from vehicle to vehicle. Good luck.

gregj9 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    okay take a battery , double a, and touch one of the wires to one end of the battery. then while holding that wire on the battery, touch each of the remaining wires to the other end of the battery. you will eventually hear a pop over a speaker the two wires have now been found for that speaker. On the honda, there is a wire with some paint markings and one without if I remember correctly. The key is to get positive and negative hooked right so if you use the painted one as pos on one speaker use it as pos on all the speakers. FIRST you should locate the power ground constant. use a test light for this and the ground in the honda's is usually black. Also see if you can take a speaker or two out and see the color coding from there........the battery thing does work though. It is easiest if you tape or solder some leads to a battery

good luck

96 honda passport

eclipse head (55040)<br />jl audio 500/5<br />Infinity kappa separates up front<br />4 eclipse 10"<br />audio control esp2 center stage processor

soon to come: Eclipse mids and highs upgrade<br />e-comm module<br />nav system

zorak46and2 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    it is simple just go down to a radio shop and buy one for 15 dollars, that way you can do quick installs if you ever want to change your deck again, and you don't have to go through this every single time. now if a radio shop cann't find one for your car go to a honda dealership and they can get one for you, but you better know somebody in the business cause it will cost you................then again it will be done right

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by zorak46and2
    it is simple just go down to a radio shop and buy one for 15 dollars, that way you can do quick installs if you ever want to change your deck again, and you don't have to go through this every single time. now if a radio shop cann't find one for your car go to a honda dealership and they can get one for you, but you better know somebody in the business cause it will cost you................then again it will be done right
    One of those $15 wire harnesses would not work without the factory HU harness.

Unregistered Guest

no man you can go to car toys or a stereo shop and buy that factory harness for 15

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I searched cartoys.com and found no offering of factory HU harnesses. I have never seen a car audio shop offer a factory HU harness either. The factory harness usually has to be purchased from the Honda dealer or a junk yard. The harnesses that are $15 are designed to easily connect the factory harness to the new HU harness. If you read his original post he said that the factory wires were cut and the harness was gone. Without the factory harness the $15 harness is worthless if he can't find what wires go to what. That is the reason that I suggested my first post. If I am wrong here please leave me a link to the Honda factory harnesses on-line because if they are available, I would like to know.

Unregistered Guest

installdr.com

installdr.com

Hyybrid89crx_si is offline I'm Special

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: '86 Honda civic..help HU install...colored wires!

I agree, take one out of the same kind of car at the local junkyard. It is the easiest way. Dont take a chance with your audio man.

johnecon2001 is offline SSA/ROE Super-Møderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

warning!! Old Thread Alert!!

Don't PM me, I'm not here. Find me on SSA or ROE
    No, I won't re-upload the Big3 pictures. Don't ask.

Hyybrid89crx_si is offline I'm Special

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well **** how thew hlee did i sie it hten...sorry for any typs i am al ittlw beendrinking

Vestax is offline Blends No. 27

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Old thread or not, that was god awful advice.

Doesn't anybody know how to hardwire in here?

USUC World Champion - Stock System Class, Super Street Division Special Edition Bose 26 piece speaker system with enhanced ported tweeters. 89.2 db Legal, 89.6 db Outlaw
    Antonio Corleone, Uptown Golden Ear Mafia

krisfnbz is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I just felt like bringing back this old thread...no reason!

Yes that is a 5 1/4th audiobahn mid speaker in my civic's headrest. circa 2006.

2000 Celica GTS

Pioneer FH-X700BT
    Powerbass 2XL-60.3C 3 way
    Dayton Ultimax 15", sealed 4cuft
    Memphis 16-MC5.700 5 channel
    Knu wiring

Closed Thread