Closed Thread

Reload Thread: 6.5s in front doors with 4 connections...tweeters and midranges?

red9250 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

6.5s in front doors with 4 connections...tweeters and midranges?

I have kenwood excelon 6.5s in my front doors. They have 1 set of connections for the midrange and 1 set of connections for the tweeters (these are not components-in the sense of being 2 seperate speakers apart from one another). I had them installed a couple years ago so im assuming the way they came out is the way to wire them. Here's my question? will wiring both the tweeters and the midrages using the same ch from my amp change the power...(the load on the amp...ohms...whatever...im not too familiar with that.) I took the wires from my amp...to the midrange connections..hooked two wires into each of the female connectors for the midranges, and took the extra wire over to the tweeters. They sound great.....but with the gains set equal for both inputs (front and rear) the rears seem just a little bit louder (taking into account the distance the speakers are from my head). Im probably just paranoid though. If this doesnt make any sense im sorry....theres a lot of info to pass on here.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone? If my description doesnt make sense please let me know and I'll try to make more sense of it.

ASDF12345 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by red9250
    Anyone? If my description doesnt make sense please let me know and I'll try to make more sense of it.
    you said they dont have two sperate speakers but it sounds like they have two different drivers. if thats the case, do they have built in crossovers? if not, then id run one channel to a cross over system.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Grand AMature
    you said they dont have two sperate speakers but it sounds like they have two different drivers. if thats the case, do they have built in crossovers? if not, then id run one channel to a cross over system.
    Im pretty sure the crossover is built in. Im just dont understand why they dont just have 1 connection? I've attached a pic I found....I wish I could take a pic of the back for you guys, but I dont want to go ripping my door panels off right now. The speakers sound awesome, I just dont understand why they are set up like this.

Edit* The other 2 connections are on the other side or the speaker that you cant see along with what looks like the built in highpass filter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6.5s in front doors with 4 connections...tweeters and midranges?-syskfc-xr600.jpg  

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok here's a quick drawing of how i have them set up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6.5s in front doors with 4 connections...tweeters and midranges?-speakers.jpg  

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    It looks like they were intended to be used with an external crossover. The "filter input thingie" is a hipass capacitor (bass blocker) for the tweeter. I think your hookup is ok.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Would adding an external crossover make them sound better?

Also, I'm using an amp with a HP filter.

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    The tweeter needs to be protected from lows or it'll burn out. That's what the coupling cap does. It keeps anything from some frequency (usually about 2500 Hz) and lower from reaching the tweeter.

Using a HP filter on the amp keeps extreme lows from the woofer. You can get more power from them that way.

As for using an external crossover, the only thing missing from what you have is something to keep highs out of the woofer. Whether it'll sound any better depends on the speakers. I dunno.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

Closed Thread