Closed Thread

Reload Thread: if I add another amp, should I upgrade wiring?

danfortner is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if I add another amp, should I upgrade wiring?

OK, here is my current setup:

10 gauge power & ground with a 30 fuse on it, running to --> Rockford Fosgate 450s --> unknown gauge speaker wire, maybe 16 or 18 --> 12" Infinity Kappa 120.3se

I am probably going to add another Rockford Amp, 550s --> 10" Eclipse 8101, which means a distribution block for powering and for grounding, and I may add a capacitor or upgrade my alternator if more power is needed. My choice is this:

I already have 10 gauge power wire running to the 450s, so can I just get some more 10 gauge and use it for EVERYTHING in the upgraded system
    OR
    Upgrade to X gauge wire (probabbly 4) --> W rated fuse --> distribution block ==> 10 gauge to each of the amps ==> 10 gauge to grounding block ==> X gauge ground

OK, so I guess this is a 2 part question:
    Also, if I am using X gauge direct from the battery, should I use 1/2 X coming out of the distribution blocks? (i.e. 4 gauge from battery, and 8 gauge to the amps)

So should I just chuck the 10 gauge and start new with 4 and 8 or is there still some use 10 can serve? Money is not a factor since it can't cost more that $40, I just hate wasting stuff.

THANKS TO ALL THAT CAN PROVIDE INPUT
    EMAIL - danfortner@snet.net, AOL IM - danzfortner

DECK - stock Acura-Bose Premium Sound w/ 6 CD-Changer
    SPEAKERS - 4 stock Bose & 2 stock 6x9's
    SUB - 12" Eclipse Titanium 9122
    AMP - US Acoustics USX-1000D
    EQ's - AudioControl Epicenter
    BOX - homemaid 1.7 cu. ft ported box @ 35hz (w/ neon & plexi)
    WIRE - 4 gauge w/ distribution and power blocks - KnuKonceptz
    DAMPENING - 50ft of Second Skin Damplifier
    CAR - 99 Acura 3.5 RL - V6 w/ 210hp - all stock
    NEXT - replace anything Bose, add HU, add navi

n2audio is online now OPTIDRIVEN

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think you'd be best off getting a dual amp kit with 4 ga primary to 8ga after blocks. You'd be fine using the 10 ga from blocks to amps, but since you can get something like this so cheap, you might as well go ahead and use 8 ga.

The specs say that amp needs a 40A fuse, so I'd just fuse the d-block appropriately and use whatever size fuse comes with the kit @ the battery - as long as it's something between 80 and 125A.

Matador is offline -= StillBumping =-

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    one question, r u gonna be running the infinity n the eclipse sub at the same time? hoepfully not.

ok wiring,

4awg to from bat to distro (dont forget to fuse it w a fuse that equals or less the total of ur distro). then 8awg from distro to amps. u only need small lengths for the 8awg. how much does each amp put out? cuz if it puts maybe less than 200rms u could use the 10awg, but i'll just recommend using the 4awg n 8awg. have fun

Eclipse CD5444
    Momo MM6
    Arc Audio CXL-2100
    1 12'' RE HC
    Memphis MC-1000D

www.angelfire.com/falcon/matador updated 5/02/03
    matador@caraudio.com

tommyk90 is offline THE WHOLE THING!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Matador

ok wiring,

4awg to from bat to distro (dont forget to fuse it w a fuse that equals or less the total of ur distro). then 8awg from distro to amps. u only need small lengths for the 8awg. how much does each amp put out? cuz if it puts maybe less than 200rms u could use the 10awg, but i'll just recommend using the 4awg n 8awg. have fun
    Why would you use a smaller fuse at the battery that's less than the combination of the distro block? Wouldn't that fuse blow all the time because the amps would be drawing all their power?(i could be totally wrong on this, just a thought). I think you should try to make them equal as close as possible

Team Kicker (R.I.P.)
    Team Sundown
    Team Maxxsonics
    Team XS Power
    Team DD
    Team Audio Technix
    Team B2 Audio
    Team Mechman
    Team Tantric Sounds

2008 Bassrace 130-139.9 Regional and National Champion
    2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2012 MECA Champion (S1, SR1, DB1, S2, S3, S4)

One DD 9510 powered by two Sundown SAZ-2500's
    Kicker KS tweeters, MB Quart 5.25's active on an MB Quart DSC480
    Kicker wiring throughout.

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Matador
    one question, r u gonna be running the infinity n the eclipse sub at the same time? hoepfully not.

ok wiring,

walmart makes a great 4ga wiring kit....i must suggest it....26.00 after taxes here....also i'd suggest using a fuse w/in 12" of the batt that is rated for the size wire your running......that fuse is to protect your car from catching on fire...nothing else.....below are some links that should be helpfull....and i saw above u said u were thinking about running a cap....i highly suggest upgrading your charging system first....will also provide a link that explains that caps are not really as usefull as they appear....

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/wire.htm

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/chargin2.htm

danfortner is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wrap-up

Goddy, Tommy, Matador, n2audio - Thanks alot, that was exactly what I was looking for.

So pretty much I have decided on: 4 gauge wire with 80AMP Fuse, to a distribution block with fuses, 8 gauge to 450s & 550s, going to the 12" Infinity Kappa 120.3se and 10" Eclipse 8101 - respectively, amps grounded with 8 gauge to a power block, to a 4 gauge connected to the chasis.

re: Originally posted by Matador
    Actually I was planning on it. My mentality is that the 12" Infinity will give me good, low end bass, and a tiny bit of SPL and the 10" Eclipse will provide top notch SQ, with little or no SPL.

[This post does not have to end here, please feel free to post some more opinions & feedback - about the WIRES and INSTALL ONLY - I am going to start another thread discussing the projected system setup as a whole.]

DECK - stock Acura-Bose Premium Sound w/ 6 CD-Changer
    SPEAKERS - 4 stock Bose & 2 stock 6x9's
    SUB - 12" Eclipse Titanium 9122
    AMP - US Acoustics USX-1000D
    EQ's - AudioControl Epicenter
    BOX - homemaid 1.7 cu. ft ported box @ 35hz (w/ neon & plexi)
    WIRE - 4 gauge w/ distribution and power blocks - KnuKonceptz
    DAMPENING - 50ft of Second Skin Damplifier
    CAR - 99 Acura 3.5 RL - V6 w/ 210hp - all stock
    NEXT - replace anything Bose, add HU, add navi

ricerdude is offline TEAM THRESHOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: wrap-up

Originally posted by danfortner
    Goddy, Tommy, Matador, n2audio - Thanks alot, that was exactly what I was looking for.

So pretty much I have decided on: 4 gauge wire with 80AMP Fuse, to a distribution block with fuses, 8 gauge to 450s & 550s, going to the 12" Infinity Kappa 120.3se and 10" Eclipse 8101 - respectively, amps grounded with 8 gauge to a power block, to a 4 gauge connected to the chasis.

re: Originally posted by Matador

Actually I was planning on it. My mentality is that the 12" Infinity will give me good, low end bass, and a tiny bit of SPL and the 10" Eclipse will provide top notch SQ, with little or no SPL.

[This post does not have to end here, please feel free to post some more opinions & feedback - about the WIRES and INSTALL ONLY - I am going to start another thread discussing the projected system setup as a whole.]
    if it was me i would never combine speakers...just use one of them...i havent heard the infinity do al very good job at reproducing low end..but that is almost ALWAYS dependant on the box...if you do a bad *** box for one of the subs you will get both sq and spl...

D

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse gsx
    far from stock

Pioneer Premier deh-p630
    Pioneer 3 way 5.25
    Pioneer 6x9s--soon to change
    Rockford Fosgate Power bd1000.1
    1 Orion XTR 12 series 2 in 2.9 cuft. ported evclosure, tuned to 37hz..

proud member of TEAM THRESHOLD

tommyk90 is offline THE WHOLE THING!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Hey, no problem. Glad i was of some service. Soon you too will be helping people, i know that i didn't know a quarter as much as i do now than when i first started coming here.

Team Kicker (R.I.P.)
    Team Sundown
    Team Maxxsonics
    Team XS Power
    Team DD
    Team Audio Technix
    Team B2 Audio
    Team Mechman
    Team Tantric Sounds

2008 Bassrace 130-139.9 Regional and National Champion
    2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2012 MECA Champion (S1, SR1, DB1, S2, S3, S4)

One DD 9510 powered by two Sundown SAZ-2500's
    Kicker KS tweeters, MB Quart 5.25's active on an MB Quart DSC480
    Kicker wiring throughout.

Closed Thread