Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Ok to have speaker grounded to chasis???

MrJollie is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok to have speaker grounded to chasis???

here's what happened: i had to put on some speaker spacers for my rear speakers. after struggling to get them set right (only got the back left rear hooked up today), i turn on the HU and notice that i don't have any sound!! i then realize that somehow the speaker i just hooked up must have grounded itself. sure enough i disconnect the ground wire, and all of the speakers come to life. my question is though- now that only the positive wire is hooked up to the speaker, is it still all right to run it this way? i taped off the gound wire. thanks for the opinions.

tommyk90 is offline THE WHOLE THING!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Re: Ok to have speaker grounded to chasis???

Originally posted by MrJollie
    here's what happened: i had to put on some speaker spacers for my rear speakers. after struggling to get them set right (only got the back left rear hooked up today), i turn on the HU and notice that i don't have any sound!! i then realize that somehow the speaker i just hooked up must have grounded itself. sure enough i disconnect the ground wire, and all of the speakers come to life. my question is though- now that only the positive wire is hooked up to the speaker, is it still all right to run it this way? i taped off the gound wire. thanks for the opinions.
    What ground did you disconnect? I doubt it is safe to run the speaker on a chassis ground, in fact, whenever you get subs that clearly say not to chassis ground them. I don't know if it works the same way for regular speakers.

Team Kicker (R.I.P.)
    Team Sundown
    Team Maxxsonics
    Team XS Power
    Team DD
    Team Audio Technix
    Team B2 Audio
    Team Mechman
    Team Tantric Sounds

2008 Bassrace 130-139.9 Regional and National Champion
    2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2012 MECA Champion (S1, SR1, DB1, S2, S3, S4)

One DD 9510 powered by two Sundown SAZ-2500's
    Kicker KS tweeters, MB Quart 5.25's active on an MB Quart DSC480
    Kicker wiring throughout.

80_Cutlass_mn is offline What needs to be here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Actually with newer h/u's and hte type of internal amps they have. If one of the speaker wire is grounded to the chassis then its instant death for that channel of the internal amp. Its hard to explain why but what it is that there is always a six volt diff between the speaker wire and the car's chassis. Ive never checked it before but I think I read that on the eatel.net site that so many ppl have the link in their sigs to.

Arctic White 1995 Camaro 3.4L

Hifonics BX2005D- 12" IA Death Penalty
    Premier prs-x220 - MB Quart DSD213 components
    Pioneer DEH-P7600MP - Scosche 4 Ga. wiring kit

Aol Instant Messanger: CamaroMN1995

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    well, maybe that myth is wrong. when i pulled away the ground from the speaker, all of the speakers came back on. i think i may have accidentally touched the ground again to cut the speakers off, and when i took it away, all of the speakers came back on, again. the back left also doesn't sound any different from the back right. tomorrow, i will "un ground" the "grounded" speaker. if you all think that this is a little dangerous, i guess i will fix the problem. (it's just so time consuming; the one thing i hate about car audio!!!)

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    HU outputs are bridged amplifiers. There is no "ground" wire. Both neg and positive outputs are active. If you touch the neg speaker output to ground, you could instantly smoke the drivers on that side.

Running the speaker return to ground is not a good thing to do. Dunno if it'll damage anything, that depends on the HU amp design. You will definitely get only half the output voltage (1/4 the power) assuming nothing smokes.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

ChefJoe is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Basically, a voltage is the potential difference between two points. In your car battery, it's between the + and - end. The car uses the - of the battery as the "ground" but it's perfectly capable of being at a non-0 voltage compared to any other point in the car. Ground doesn't really mean the quantity of 0.

Ok, now, the speakers run with a voltage that's set for one speaker and the other can be set for the other speaker. In amp terms, it's a lot more difficult to make two +2 voltages compared to a common ground than it would be to make, say a +2 and a -2 compared to a common ground.

97 VW Jetta - building a system from parts in my old 85 Jetta
    HU: Pioneer P740MP with 12 disc changer
    Front: 3.5" JBL GTO302s in dash
    5.25" Cerwin Vega Vega Series 502s in door
    Amped: US Acoustics USX-2050 @ 2 ohm

Rear: Stock components
    Sub: Single 12" Vega 124 in a cheap bandpass box
    Sub Amp:US Acoustics USX-2150 bridged

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, hopefully i can get away from the dark side tomorrow, going to hook up all the speakers to the amp. so no more speaker grounded to the frame. i have an alpine cda-7892. the system didn't sound any different when i played it today. i kept it on for most of the time that i was out driving around. best buy didn't have any 4 gauge wiring or spade terminals, so i went to a&a auto, got four 2 guage ring terminals (cost $3 and change), and turned two of them into spade teminals using a pair of ajustable pliers and a dremel.

Closed Thread