Closed Thread

Reload Thread: fuses blowing

Nick358 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

fuses blowing

hi, i have 2 dual 4 ohm alpine type Rs, with a jbl 1200.1 powering them, i jsut recently changed my wiring from series(trash) to parallel in my box then each sub their own channel on the amp, which would make them be on 2ohms right, well anyway question at hand, my fuses have been blowing insanely since i changed the wiring. before i had a 40 AUE fuse(?) and was working fine and it blew i bought a new holder and fuses 60 agu and i ate them instantly last night, so i was thinking of getting a 100amp circuit breaker, would this do the trick or is it ognna keep on tripping, will i have to set up my system back in the old wiring i had, thanks,peace

SuckMikeHawk23 is offline #1 Laker Hater

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    step it up to 80a, and if that doesnt work, then try 100a, i doubt u'll need anything over 125a. im using a 70a fuse on my 81000d with no problems if i just listen to regular, everyday music

Team Caraudio.com
    2000 Honda Civic Coupe:
    Alpine CDA-7892
    MTX81000D
    US Acoustics USX4085
    Crystal Mobilesound CPE60S
    Crystal Mobilesound CSC60S
    2 E12KD2's
    4.7 cubic foot ported box

AIM: TeamVicious23 and FishermanSteve23

Savant is offline Duke of DOH!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: fuses blowing

Originally posted by Nick358
    hi, i have 2 dual 4 ohm alpine type Rs, with a jbl 1200.1 powering them, i jsut recently changed my wiring from series(trash) to parallel in my box then each sub their own channel on the amp, which would make them be on 2ohms right, well anyway question at hand, my fuses have been blowing insanely since i changed the wiring. before i had a 40 AUE fuse(?) and was working fine and it blew i bought a new holder and fuses 60 agu and i ate them instantly last night, so i was thinking of getting a 100amp circuit breaker, would this do the trick or is it ognna keep on tripping, will i have to set up my system back in the old wiring i had, thanks,peace
    At 2 ohm, you are drawing more current (or, more to the point, the higher output causes a higher input to be needed).. This means you are driving the amp harder and it needs more juice (well, only if you are trying to get loud.. at low volumes non of this should matter)..

Now, you say 'instantly'.. what does that mean? You turn on the amp and the fuse blows? or you are listening to music and once you get to a certian 'loudness' the fuse goes? Is it going about the same place regardless of the fuse (when you put in the bigger fuse, could you turn up the volume more than with the smaller fuse?)?

If you are popping fuses as soon as the amp goes on, you have a short somewhere.. If it's directly releated to volume, then you are running fuses that are too small (which means either too small of a power wire, or fuses too small for you amp).. I'm presuming it's a Class D amp? so, I'd guess around 125 amp max draw? Your power wire should be big enough for that (and the manual should actually have that in it someplace, I'd think) and the fuse should be the right size for the wire...

Hope that helps..

(1) Alpine CDA 7892 HU ($214)
    (2) 12" Pioneer Premier 1241DVCs in sealed MDF box (gonna glass them eventually) ($69 each)
    ->removing.. ->(2) 10" Pioneer Premier 1041DVC's in sealed MDF box (gonna glass them eventually) ($59 each)
    (2) Lanzar Vibe248 1200 watt 2 chnl amps ($119 each)

It's bump'n GOOD!

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make a moron understand...

tommyk90 is offline THE WHOLE THING!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Re: fuses blowing

Originally posted by Nick358
    Well i don't think it'll make a difference, but you are running that amp at 1 ohm. But that shouldn't make the fuses blow i think.

Team Kicker (R.I.P.)
    Team Sundown
    Team Maxxsonics
    Team XS Power
    Team DD
    Team Audio Technix
    Team B2 Audio
    Team Mechman
    Team Tantric Sounds

2008 Bassrace 130-139.9 Regional and National Champion
    2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2012 MECA Champion (S1, SR1, DB1, S2, S3, S4)

One DD 9510 powered by two Sundown SAZ-2500's
    Kicker KS tweeters, MB Quart 5.25's active on an MB Quart DSC480
    Kicker wiring throughout.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Re: fuses blowing

Originally posted by tommyk90
    Well i don't think it'll make a difference, but you are running that amp at 1 ohm. But that shouldn't make the fuses blow i think.
    Actually, he's at 2 ohm per channel (4 ohm + 4 ohm in parallel = 2 ohm load.. each speaker on it's own channel)..

And it's not the resistence/load on the amp that blows the fuse, it's that you can get more power at lower load, but more power doesn't mean 'free' power, you have to draw more from the charging system.. which means a fuse that was 'barely' holding on will blow with the increased input/output..

Hope that helps..

EDIT: Oh, and this all presumes he's talking about the POWER wire fuses.. if he's blowing fuses in the amp, he should NOT put in bigger ones.. he probably has something wired wrong, or the amp isn't liking 2 ohm..

(2) 12" Pioneer Premier 1241DVCs in sealed MDF box (gonna glass them eventually) ($69 each)
    ->removing.. ->(2) 10" Pioneer Premier 1041DVC's in sealed MDF box (gonna glass them eventually) ($59 each)

It's bump'n GOOD!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    He's two ohm per channel, but that amp is bridged internally also. So, for example, if you had two 4 ohm subs, one hooked to each channel, the amp is seeing a 2 ohm mono load. Why do you think all of their power output is rated at 1200x1? There is only one channel, just two hookups.

Team Kicker (R.I.P.)
    Team Sundown
    Team Maxxsonics
    Team XS Power
    Team DD
    Team Audio Technix
    Team B2 Audio
    Team Mechman
    Team Tantric Sounds

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by tommyk90
    He's two ohm per channel, but that amp is bridged internally also. So, for example, if you had two 4 ohm subs, one hooked to each channel, the amp is seeing a 2 ohm mono load. Why do you think all of their power output is rated at 1200x1? There is only one channel, just two hookups.
    Shows what I know about that amp

I would agree then.. if it's bridged internally with 2 hookups, he's at 1 ohm.. that would be down from 4 before, right? (2 8s if each sub was series, parallel on the 8s goes to 4?).. from 4 to 1 is a lot more power consumption.. which could easily explain the power line fuses blowing now and not before..

Thanks for setting me straight about that amp..

It's bump'n GOOD!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Savant
    Shows what I know about that amp

I would agree then.. if it's bridged internally with 2 hookups, he's at 1 ohm.. that would be down from 4 before, right? (2 8s if each sub was series, parallel on the 8s goes to 4?).. from 4 to 1 is a lot more power consumption.. which could easily explain the power line fuses blowing now and not before..

Thanks for setting me straight about that amp..
    Yeah, no problem. I always wondered that too because i saw these amps that only had power ratings at one channel. Then i found out that they are bridged internally, so they are always mono. It would be the same as hooking two subs up to one channel.

Team Kicker (R.I.P.)
    Team Sundown
    Team Maxxsonics
    Team XS Power
    Team DD
    Team Audio Technix
    Team B2 Audio
    Team Mechman
    Team Tantric Sounds

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    it pops when i start the car, so when the amp turns on, i checked the wires but nothing is bare or seems wrong

Dreamworkz is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    u might wanna go with a fuse block thats like a 100 amp fuse block which u can shut your system off and on

Dreamwerkzinstallz 03.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    my amp is fried, i bought a 100 amp circuit breaker , i start my car, my voltage meter on my car drops and my car goes praticlly dead with everything turning off, i shut my car off, go to my trunk and my amp is smoking in a fierce way. no idea what happened, prob why my fuses kept on blowing, im extremely pissed got no amp and no money and i can't find warranty or box and i bought it from ikesound......

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    everyone ahs a story, i got a warranty on the piece of trash after all and i know waht i did, power wire grounded out on my amp chasis (whoops) oh well , learn from our mistakes

Closed Thread