Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: My speaker wire is bigger than my friends power wire, is this enough to kill him?

45auto is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My speaker wire is bigger than my friends power wire, is this enough to kill him?

Yesterday, I was just chilling outside, and somehow we got a lookie under my friends hood, because we were giving a boost to someone, who had their battery die on them, upon seeing under the hood, I notice this little tiny red wire connected to his battery, and running to the trunk, I was hoping maybe he was high, and ran a remote turn on lead from his battery or something, in anticipation of doing an install, but no, this was his power wire, it even had a cute little fuse connected to it, which I'm sure was useless. Anyways, my speaker wire is larger than that power wire, and I only use 12 ga speaker wire, is this abomination to car audio a good enough reason to kill him?

PurposeSoap is offline Swollen Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: My speaker wire is bigger than my friends power wire, is this enough to kill him?

Last edited by PurposeSoap; 06-13-2007 at 09:50 AM.

blackbonnie is offline The Revolution

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: My speaker wire is bigger than my friends power wire, is this enough to kill him?

no, but its a good chance his equipment will die, but if he ran that small of power wire, im sure he doesnt have that great of equipment anyway.

HU - Pioneer 800prs
    Mids - Peerless HDS nomex 6.5's
    Highs - Seas Prestige Alumi-domes
    Front Stage Amp - Sundown 100.4D
    Sub - SA-12
    Sub Amp - Saz-1000D
    Wire - Knukonceptz, Kicker Hyperflex

Blackbonnie References/Feedback

Flipx99 is offline Violator of Terms

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Due to the fact he did not say what amp he had back there, I will reserve my comments for later.

You don't need upteen runs of 1/0 for all applications.

Black cat, white cat...all that matters is that it catches mice. -Deng Xiaoing

I do homework for money. I specialize in finance. PM me for estimates.

If someone uses me as a reference, please contact me first.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipx99 View Post
    Due to the fact he did not say what amp he had back there, I will reserve my comments for later.

You don't need upteen runs of 1/0 for all applications.

But 14ga power wire is unacceptable... He had an Orion 2500D back there...

No, just kidding, it looked like one of those little $10 ebay amps that put out 400 WATTS MAXIMUM AMPLIFER POWER!!!!

Atimm693 is offline Shadetree Mechanic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Buy him the power wire he needs and severely whip him with it till he vows to never use tiny power wire again.

1994 Toyota Camry
    Pioneer DEHP6400BT
    Rockford Fosgate 1050S
    12" DD 3512C
    2.5 cuft, 35hz
    1050wrms@4ohms

Screnzo is offline What happened in here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmm.....that may not be a particularly safe setup. If he is drawing significantly more amps than the wire is rated to handle (I do not know what type/amperage fuse he has going on) it could potentially catch fire. Case in point, my silly *** assumed that a 3 inch run of 8 gauge would be good enough for my kicker ZR600. 3 inches, max, from fuse block to power terminal, it was that close. Uninstalled it one day to switch amps, and sure enough, the wire was MELTED into the fuse block. I could not believe it. I should have done the whole amperage calculation but did not, thinking it would be fine for that short a run. Now I will figure it out, then bump up a size bigger most likely just for peace of mind. I STRONGLY suggest you all check out the thread on it too.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166038

"you have a face like a bulldog chewing a stinging nettle while taking a constipated dump in a heat wave"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fargof View Post
    Buy him the power wire he needs and severely whip him with it till he vows to never use tiny power wire again.
    I whipped my ex girlfriend with a 4 ga wire, she cried afterwards.... True story too...

XanderMoser is offline Poor college student

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the fuse that he has on the wire is small enough that it blows before the wire is in danger of catching fire, then it is not unsafe...but he will keep blowing fuses. How often does he blow fuses?

Alpine CDA-9833
    Running fully active with US Acoustics 4050 and 4060 Zed built amps
    ID OEM 6.5" mids and Seas 27TAFNC/G aluminum tweeters
    12" Dayton Titanic in 1.2 sealed powered by HS 2.125

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XanderMoser View Post
    If the fuse that he has on the wire is small enough that it blows before the wire is in danger of catching fire, then it is not unsafe...but he will keep blowing fuses. How often does he blow fuses?
    Never knew of his fuse blowing, but this has nothing to do with the topic, I don't really care if his car goes up in a ball of flames, i was talking about killing him myself in the topic title, for disrespecting car audio, I guess you didn't peep the body of the topic, I was just being sarcastic.

dleccord is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well if you knew what a 2500d was capable of then there's really no point in this thread. lol.

REFS
    blackgeltabs, theCybe(2x), xplcitcustmz, mabel4life, bumpn_gt , PENER, BLD 25, j3bus2k3(3x) , PRIVATEpastry, guy022077(3x), alpine3612, 03tibgt, rocky 59, mattmcss, yotabeater,pepsican, iceteebone(2x), sfsloop @ mac. com, vincemarq, maldecido33, dalucifer, BassAddictJ, thakidgame, Scoobydoo, marcusb419er, nVRuckus, frkkevin, killahbean, CBFryman2, Zeuslicious(2x), bizzy07, expo5.0, dragonrage, 1loudsuv, nismos14, James Bang, mtlhead, Rsx_03, thaster, teamsubgopoof, CRAZYCORNUTS18, ggk, Colt9699(2x), thangalang, BloodStalker999, dwaynem, chaunb3400, volstitan908, blackbonnie, Fast1one, nineball, rbiele126, JayRich, Al_Capowned, runwitbass

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dleccord View Post
    well if you knew what a 2500d was capable of then there's really no point in this thread. lol.
    I would have known what it was like to run one, but ex-boards member Raisedin305, A.K.A Ernesto ripped me on ebay...

Prowler573 is offline R.I.P. Gossamer!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 45auto View Post
    I would have known what it was like to run one, but ex-boards member Raisedin305, A.K.A Ernesto ripped me on ebay...
    That sux.

But back to the thread at hand....

People that have no concept of using adequate wiring to properly install aftermarket equipment either make me laugh or simply pisses me off, depending on the situation.

I have several friends that are somewhat into car audio but aren't willing to invest the time, energy, and $$ that I have. This isn't to say that what I'm running is anything special, mind you, but it's considerably more high-end than anything my circle of buddies are using.

Case in point - a friend of mine was running three amps in his setup. A Logic Soundlabs two-channel sourced from a pawn shop for his bass, a Kenwood KAC-927 that he bought from me for his front stage, and some random amp of indeterminate origin for his rear fill.

A single run of 8awg ran from the battery to the LS 2-channel. Another run of 8awg was jumpered from the power input terminal on the LS amp to the power input on the Kenwood. From the Kenwood amp a length of what appeared to be 12awg or 14awg speaker wire was jumpered to the no-name rear fill amp.

Grounds were run in much the same way.

He couldn't understand why he could neither ever rid himself of engine noise or why he started a fire in his car before it was over and done with.

Refs: [CA.com] [eBay.com]

Rictamilk is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are you sure it was for an amplifier?

2002 Honda Civic EX
    Alpine CDA-9881
    4 Gauge Knukonceptz
    Best Buy 4 Gauge Wire
    Hifonics BXi 1608D Sub Amp
    2 cubic foot, kerfed port, 32 Hz double baffle box
    Incriminator Audio Lethal Injection 12" Subwoofer
    TMA 4 Ch Speaker Amp
    MB Quart DTF 169 and MB Quart PCE 216
    Old Pics: http://caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242730

patrick1202 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

how big is his ground ?? the same size
    because ground is just as important as the size of power i made that mistake havent ever again i installed my dad's system me and my buddy 86yota and i used 8 ga power wire which was fine for the set up but i ran a ground that was i think of like a normal remote wire it worked for awhile this was before i knew what i do know and it just stopped working one day i looked and the ground's insulation was complelty melted i put 8 ga everythings fine now

hu:pioneer 5900ib
    frontstage:phoenix gold rsd's
    substage: 1 15" Fi ssd with flatwind coil
    amp:Memphis m-class 1100d
    mid&high amp:alpine

Tired of the lag? Come get crunk!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast