Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Can power wire be too large? And what will happen? Need scientific explanation

audiocontr is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Can power wire be too large? And what will happen? Need scientific explanation

I'm looking to get into physics here an not just "Well you cant fit a one foot in diameter cable through the firewall".

Does the diameter of the power wire ever become too large and detrement voltage? Does it plateau eventually?

Where can i find information on the phenomena of energy moving along the edge of a wire strand and not the core? (thus the reasom why we use multistranded cable and not solid core)

n2audio is offline OPTIDRIVEN

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Can power wire be too large? And what will happen? Need scientific explanation

Originally posted by audiocontr
    I'm looking to get into physics here an not just "Well you cant fit a one foot in diameter cable through the firewall".
    Does the diameter of the power wire ever become too large and detrement voltage?
    No. It's a simple matter of resistance. Any given length of wire, whether it be aluminum, copper, or solid silver, has a resistance value per length. The larger the wire, the less resistance.

Does it plateau eventually?
    Yes. Once you have sufficient ga. you gain very little using larger wire. To the best of my knowledge the law of diminishing return applies to everything.

Where can i find information on the phenomena of energy moving along the edge of a wire strand and not the core? (thus the reasom why we use multistranded cable and not solid core)
    I don't know a lot about that topic, but I belive the skin-effect applies more to ac than dc. I know I've read that solid core is technically the best for car audio (but not to a point of audible difference). We use stranded wire simply because it's flexible.

If you really want info on it you might try www.carsound.com forums and search Richard Clark's forum and archives for Skin Effect. If you want more input on specific resistances of power wire and related info I'm sure you can find that there too. That forum tends to make my head spin when they get into science and engineering.

Closed Thread