Closed Thread

Reload Thread: which amp set-up would you run?

95Prober is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

which amp set-up would you run?

hi
    i have an electrical/power question for my car/amps.
    i currently have a system for basically daily driving. normal single non-deep cycle battery, and stock 130AMP alternator. i have however, upgraded the big 3 under the hood and i have 0/1 guage running to my trunk in my Probe hatchback for sub amps. now assuming i didnt upgrade anything and just left it as is, what would be better?
    for example, what if i used a REALLY huge amp that actually is maybe too big for my cars electrical system to handle, say a competition amp, but has more power than all of my subs combined as far as RMS ratings are concerned. in this instance, would i get every bit of juice from the engine/electrical as i can possibly get? would i get more juice from the electrical this way going to the amps instead of running say 2 smaller mono amps for subs which have about 3/4 less RMS power than the total RMS ratings of my subs combined? i mean, since the huge amp can take more juice and can handle lots of power, is that an advantage over the 2 amp option where the amps are smaller and the power wire is divided into a distribution block in the truck into 4 guage run to each amp?

hope all of this isnt confusing!! sorry if it is. hope you all can understand what im getting at

thanks

MY SET-UP :
    Head Unit :Pioneer Premier P660 w/ card remote
    Subwoofers :4-12" Pioneer Premier TSW-1241 (Dual-Voice Coils)
    Sub Amps :2 Zenon ASB-2200.1
    Speaker Amp:Soundstream Rubicon 604 (4Ch.)
    Rear Speak Fill:6x9 Infinity's
    Front Speak:CDT (CL-641 3-Way Comps in custom kickpods)
    Wires/Cables/Installation :2 runs of 0/1 guage, Knukonceptz RCA's, battery terminals, fuseholders, and 12,14 guage speaker wire and.. The Big 3
    Sound deadening : 30sq.ft of Secondskin & 150 B-Quiet Extreme for doors etc., 200 sq.ft of Edead v.2 for floors and trunk
    Box:6 Cu.Ft @32Hz
    Refs:scottyk,Fuknmovin,Bavarian3,Blados,Blazrgreg, juckstapose,
    acousticguitar,IonSQL,SQBubble,dragnix,02parkave,
    DUMPED

iceteebone is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Re: which amp set-up would you run?

idk what the hell you are saying, but if you install an amp that is too big for your electrical system, you'll only feed it 12-13 volts which will decrease the power, plus you'll end up killing your battery under the hood since the amp will draw from the battery since your alt is not producing enough current, and eventually your alt will die

95Prober is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iceteebone View Post
    idk what the hell you are saying, but if you install an amp that is too big for your electrical system, you'll only feed it 12-13 volts which will decrease the power, plus you'll end up killing your battery under the hood since the amp will draw from the battery since your alt is not producing enough current, and eventually your alt will die
    ok. so lets say you have you have lots of alt and batt. power. and you have 2 amps from the same company, but one is a huge single amp opposed to 2 smaller amps but together equal in RMS power with the single larger amp. would running the sinlge larger amp be the most logical? or is there an advantage to run 2 smaller ones?

MY SET-UP :
    Head Unit :Pioneer Premier P660 w/ card remote
    Subwoofers :4-12" Pioneer Premier TSW-1241 (Dual-Voice Coils)
    Sub Amps :2 Zenon ASB-2200.1
    Speaker Amp:Soundstream Rubicon 604 (4Ch.)
    Rear Speak Fill:6x9 Infinity's
    Front Speak:CDT (CL-641 3-Way Comps in custom kickpods)
    Wires/Cables/Installation :2 runs of 0/1 guage, Knukonceptz RCA's, battery terminals, fuseholders, and 12,14 guage speaker wire and.. The Big 3
    Sound deadening : 30sq.ft of Secondskin & 150 B-Quiet Extreme for doors etc., 200 sq.ft of Edead v.2 for floors and trunk
    Box:6 Cu.Ft @32Hz
    Refs:scottyk,Fuknmovin,Bavarian3,Blados,Blazrgreg, juckstapose,
    acousticguitar,IonSQL,SQBubble,dragnix,02parkave,
    DUMPED

iceteebone is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 95Prober View Post
    ok. so lets say you have you have lots of alt and batt. power. and you have 2 amps from the same company, but one is a huge single amp opposed to 2 smaller amps but together equal in RMS power with the single larger amp. would running the sinlge larger amp be the most logical? or is there an advantage to run 2 smaller ones?
    not really, as long as you get the power you need.

Closed Thread