Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: ford ranger standard cab

Unregistered Guest

ford ranger standard cab

hey everyone! just askin' for some advice on an install of 2 10" solobaric kicker subs. i haven't bought these yet because i heard that i might not have enough space or something. so..my question is: is it possible for me to put two 10" kicker solobarics(the square ones) behind my seats in a 97 std cab ranger? anyone who's got some helpful advice is appreciated..thanx
    be safe and be loud

Unregistered Guest

Yeah you can do but you will have to build a custom box unless you like sitting with your knees in the steering wheel. I have a 92 standard cab and i put one sony xplod 10" behind the seat. Another thing if you have the mid speakers that are in the corners of the cab you won't have enough air space. Then you have the problem of where you are going to put the amp if you do have enough air space. I don't know of any amp that is thin enough to fit under the seat. The easiest way to set that up would be just one solo-baric and then mount the amp beside it.

Good luck

[email protected]

RangerMan is offline Premium Member RangerMan is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Alright, I also have a 98 Ranger Reg. Cab. I know what you can do but I need to know if you have a 5-Speed or not. I had a stick so I could not do this. If you don't have a 5-speed, you can put one 10 where the 5-speed would be (sub facing the rear glass) and the other sub in a custom box, right behind the center console(sub facing the front). You would have to get two custom built boxes to fit the two spaces, but I guarantee that it would look and sound great.

Unregistered Guest

solobaric

easily man, i have a regular cab s-10 and have 2 squares in a ported box

imral3 is offline Sponge Bob Rules !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    to save a little bit of space... i've seen a book at the library (sorry, don't remember the name of it) about building a custom sub box, for pick ups, behind the seat. you will use the back wall and floor of the truck's cab as the back and bottom of the sub box. the front of the box will be made of mdf as normal and the sides of the box must be cut and shaped to the contour of the truck's cab (and caulked of course). the opening for the sub should be as close to the floor as possible, to allow for maximum clearence, and the front of the box will angle in towards the top to allow for seat clearence. kinda like a triangle shape. so basically you are making half a box and attaching it to the truck's metal, permenantly. hope this helps.

good luck and good listening!

L8r

maylar is online now Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    My son has a regular cab 97 Ranger and we built a dual 10 box that fit behind the seats. We divided the box in 3 sections (center section about 9" wide) and put the amp in the middle. It sounded like crap. The speakers distorted badly at only moderate volume levels. Enclosures just not big enough.

We're going to try 8" subs next and see if they work any better. If not, we'll have to redesign the box and find another spot for the amp. Those reg cabs are small

p.s. Our box measures 13" high, 3.5" at the top, 6.5" at the bottom and 36" long. Took out the tire jack and clip. The box just fits under the lip on the back wall and the seats are one click from full back.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

Newbie is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sub in a 98 ranger

Hey man i have a 98 ford ranger standard cab. I put a jl audio 10wo in a custom sealed box with the kenwood excelon 250watt amp. It sounds awesome! The sub is right between the seats. I have the amp behind the passenger side seat. All my cables are completely hidden. With the ranger not having that much space to began with that one ten is by far enough. But go with a high quality sub. But i would not put more than one ten behind there b/c of the space. I am sure there is a way but it would be pretty expensive for the box and I have tried it with two 10's but unless you are die hard set on the two go with one.
    Last edited by Newbie; 03-10-2002 at 01:10 AM.

RangerMan is offline Premium Member RangerMan is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That is what I have, a 98 reg cab and I have two alum10x s in there and it sounds great.

Unregistered Guest

10's in a Ranger

That's cool man when i tried it was a little to much for me but i have heard ranger with two tens and they sounded kick ***. For me, one 10 is enough.. Keep pounding man!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I had one ten for a while and it sounded pretty good too.

Rattlin Ranger is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What I did...

Well, I made a box that holds 2 tens and 2 eights quite well. I am a really crappy carpenter so if you arent as bad as me then you will be all set. Perhaps the box is a tad small but it is quite loud and I was willing to sacrifice a bit of SQ for the pounding. So and answer to your question,,,,, yes you should most deffinitely be able to get those 2 solos in but before you try just get urself a calculator once you find out how much volume those subs need and then you can figure out how big your box needs to be to supply them with the space they want.

zorak46and2 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    get a tonnaeu cover and put them in the bed facing the tail gate build the box much like that other guy was saying and build into the truck, like he said make the subs as close to the ground as possible, then route all wires, don't install the subs yet, take your truck to the ford house and get it either rhino lined or gator backed that way your box is weather proofed. then install the speakers and place the amp behind your seat.

gran0310 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i have a 98 reg cab mazda (EXACT same thing as a ranger) and i have one 10" MTX 8000. its enough for me, but if you want to be pretty loud it would be better to have 2 10's. if you own the truck and don't mind experimenting rip all of the plastic behind the seat out and lay some plastic down then use the back of the truck as part of your sides ot the box (like mentioned earlier by imral3), lay down some fiberglass sheets, slap on some resin then make the front out of MDF and there u go..it might be alittle costly, but besides cutting into your box through the back wall, its one of the best ways to maximize air space.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Another suggestion is the stealthbox setup.

powerranger is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    well i have a 2000 ranger standard cab, and i went with a bazooka el amplified. i gotta admit that for its size it packs a punch, far exceeding my expectations. the main reason i went with this is space. it takes up lass than half of my behind seat area.

Save a horse, ride a cowboy

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast