Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New Speaker wire??

I've been pricing around different local shops to get an idea of how much it would be to install a 4ch amp + amp kit. A few places want around $150 which isnt bad. But I went to get a quote from a different shop. They wanted $400!! I asked them why it would cost that much. The guy said that he is going to need to run new wire to the doors and rear speakers since the stock speaker wire is too thin. He said that if i amp the speakers with the stock speaker wire that it will burn the wires up. My amp is a JBL with 104x4rms. Do I really need to spend that much to get all of my wireing replaced????

Qbenjamin is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Re: New Speaker wire??

Well, sorta. $400 is outragoeus, but he is right about amplifying the speakers with that current like 18-20 guage wire. The stock speaker wire absolutely ***** when you put an amp on it. Too much power trying to run through such small wiring. If you are any type of DIY then you will go ahead and do that yourself. Now hooking up the amp wires I wouldn't do if I were you, due to such little room for error. I will be glad to help you run that speaker wire if you take pics of the inside of your car. Most of the time you can run the speaker wire from the actual speaker back out through the door and into the panel that runs alonside the door of you car. POST SOME PICS OF THE INTERIOR OF YOUR CAR ie:

Needs pics of your door open like the hinge area
    Need pics of your bottom panel inside the car by the door opening
    Also pics of your rear deck and backseat.

Sold to Ref's: IonSQL; envengineer; BAD_MAYHEM; oxsign; dvrmstrng; corto; wong05tsx; mrdurden; dirtyg; Cheesemind; gladiator_jai; bumpincrv; nycking23; slikvik; Mr.Ronin_2U
    Traded with Ref's:: Spike_e; jnoel; Sundownz

Stock H/U; AudioControl Lc6i; Alpine PDX-V9; Focal Components & Coaxials; DD 2510; Ported Enclosure; Second Skin Damplifier Pro

What sounds good to you, may sound like crap to me...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Talk to the place that told you $150, and ask them how much more would they want to run you new speaker wire. Depending on the car, adn the level of experience the individual has, you can do 1 side easily in about 20 mins.

Sold to Ref's: IonSQL; envengineer; BAD_MAYHEM; oxsign; dvrmstrng; corto; wong05tsx; mrdurden; dirtyg; Cheesemind; gladiator_jai; bumpincrv; nycking23; slikvik; Mr.Ronin_2U

Stock H/U; AudioControl Lc6i; Alpine PDX-V9; Focal Components & Coaxials; DD 2510; Ported Enclosure; Second Skin Damplifier Pro

zSnb is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well i have 6x9's in the back and comps up front. i'll probably just run the 4 channels up to the 6.5's and tweets up front since i already get my desired output from the back. Im driving a dodge neon SXT. its a pretty simple car and i dont think any extensive work needs to be dont to run the wire. id love to get some pics in but i dont have a digi cam and my cell phone is junk cause i spend all of my $$ on car audio. The shop also said that i should use 4 awg wire since i do kind of plan on running a sub some day. now im trying to figure out why i would need to have larger wire for the speakers just because i plan on getting a sub and separate amp one of these days. is this shop trying to scam me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

You will need (OR SHOULD) larger than factory speaker wire only if you have aftermarket speakers.

Closed Thread

User Tag List