Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Running New Wires For HU

Hey everyone, I need some opinions on choosing an installation method for my new system. I bought a Kenwood KDC-MPV7019 HU, a set of Kicker RS5 comps, a Pioneer TS-W1241C sub, and a Lanzar Vibe 430 amp. The previous owner of my car had his own stereo installed and even though I am completely new to car audio, I could tell it was terrible. He ripped out his old tape player when I bought the car (1981 Porsche 924), and I do mean "ripped" it out. As of now, there are about 4 different loose wires sticking out of the spot where my new HU needs to go along with the antenna plug. I know that the power wire is not hooked up to the battery, so I assume the rest of the wires are screwed up, too. My question is: Would it be fairly easy to run all new wires to hook up the system by myself, or should I take the car to a professional installer. I hope to avoid the professional install becuase of the extremely high cost. Keep in mind that I am new to car audio, though I am pretty good with electronics. Thanks for your opinions.

firemx220 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The basic wires you will need are Power remote and ground to get you started on the head unit. Power wire should have power even when the key is off. Remote wire should only have power when the key is on. then find a good ground. Next pull apart one of the door panels and look at what color wires are going to the speaker. See if you have those wires hanging out any where by the head unit. Most of the time you will have different color wires for each speaker.(EX. Left front gray and gray with stripe, right front brown and brown with stripe) If it looks like a real mess just run new speaker wire yourself. it will take more time but this way you know it is right. There might be other wires depending on your head unit like dimmer wire or some have built in alarms. I wouldn't worry about those until you have the basics done and the headunit working. Then plug in the antenna and see what happens. Good luck!Let us kow how it turns out.

Closed Thread

User Tag List