Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Does this system set-up make sense?

Turbox3 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does this system set-up make sense?

The stock 3in1 HU in my '93 MR2T has died so I'm pulling out all the stock speakers, HU and amps and replacing it with an aftermarket head unit and component front speakers (no rear speakers). What I want to do is run a set of 6.5 component speakers off the head unit, but wire the tweeters and midrange seperately. The reason being is that my understanding is that a head unit can be rated at 25x4RMS watts (for example) but if you're only using two channels you're still getting just 25x2 RMS watts, not 50x2 even though you're only using two channels.
    So, my idea is to use two of the HU speaker outputs (front) for the two tweeters (with an in-line high pass crossover) and the other two outputs (rear) for the 2 mid-range/woofers in the door (with an in-line lower range crossover). This way, each of the 4 speakers would be receiving 25Watts RMS (4 x 25W) instead of each pair (mid/tweet) sharing one 25W channel (2 x 25W). Also, It seems like this set-up would let me use the Head Unit fader to balance between the tweeters and mids (by balancing the front and rear speaker outputs). Does this set-up make sense?

Normally I would just use an external amp but I'm trying to keep this car as light as possible for track use but it's also my daily driver so I don't want to get rid of the stereo all together

Thanks for any input

HLLRZR13 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Make sense yes, recommended no

paikiah is offline Wangaholic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Does this system set-up make sense?

Originally posted by Turbox3
    The stock 3in1 HU in my '93 MR2T has died so I'm pulling out all the stock speakers, HU and amps and replacing it with an aftermarket head unit and component front speakers (no rear speakers). What I want to do is run a set of 6.5 component speakers off the head unit, but wire the tweeters and midrange seperately. The reason being is that my understanding is that a head unit can be rated at 25x4RMS watts (for example) but if you're only using two channels you're still getting just 25x2 RMS watts, not 50x2 even though you're only using two channels.
    So, my idea is to use two of the HU speaker outputs (front) for the two tweeters (with an in-line high pass crossover) and the other two outputs (rear) for the 2 mid-range/woofers in the door (with an in-line lower range crossover). This way, each of the 4 speakers would be receiving 25Watts RMS (4 x 25W) instead of each pair (mid/tweet) sharing one 25W channel (2 x 25W). Also, It seems like this set-up would let me use the Head Unit fader to balance between the tweeters and mids (by balancing the front and rear speaker outputs). Does this set-up make sense?

Normally I would just use an external amp but I'm trying to keep this car as light as possible for track use but it's also my daily driver so I don't want to get rid of the stereo all together

Thanks for any input
    As a comrade in the racing business( amateur), I say do away with your system...

racing and audio do not mix...

no matter how tight you turn that screwdriver, when the car tumbles, the rollcage stays, but the parts might want to come out an play, if you know what I mean...

Your race mechanic will hate you for installing it cause you just gave him a headache with more wires to deal with.

on speaker might not equal much, but 4 of them, with aftermarket hu, etc... just not gonna be working for you in racing...
    mm, are you just an average weekend racer? I mean, if not, your mad to add more weight on your car... I lost about 20lb to try and get 1st place...

hey, here's a thought...

make a rack, so that it can be detached fairly easily with a few screws, so that you can take out the audio platform when you race, and attach it when you're ready to go home...
    I've seen one guy do that...of course, it was a slight hassle, but he's still got good tunes to console himself with after he lost the race:p

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    Seas 27TDF/C, RE XXX 6.5, custom xo (dyn 240GT sitting idle)
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22
    Soundstream picasso 1400.1D

Bass drive-by's are uncool.

Alaxan is offline Common Sense Guru

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well Paikah... I dunno where all that came from... lol, but here is my take on it.....You can wire it separate if you so desire..... is it recomended? Not in the slightest! Reason being is.... you are wiring it all into a crossover system.......only one input.....and you can not send it separate signals or "bridge" the head unit.... you will only burn it up......Now if you want more power to them.... you can do one of two things....you can A) find a good set of 3ohm rated components......they will allow your amp in the head unit to push a bit more freely while still not having the higher stress of a 2ohm burden to make it over heat quickly.....or you can B) purchase a small amp and use it externally for them.....Just my .02 on the matter

-Alax
    CEO Alchemy Computer Systems

Questions or comments?
    Yahoo: Static_Lullaby_77
    AOL: StaticLulaby1977
    MSN: Alaxinlord@hotmail.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Re: Does this system set-up make sense?

Originally posted by paikiah
    As a comrade in the racing business( amateur), I say do away with your system...

racing and audio do not mix...

no matter how tight you turn that screwdriver, when the car tumbles, the rollcage stays, but the parts might want to come out an play, if you know what I mean...

Your race mechanic will hate you for installing it cause you just gave him a headache with more wires to deal with.

on speaker might not equal much, but 4 of them, with aftermarket hu, etc... just not gonna be working for you in racing...
    mm, are you just an average weekend racer? I mean, if not, your mad to add more weight on your car... I lost about 20lb to try and get 1st place...

hey, here's a thought...

make a rack, so that it can be detached fairly easily with a few screws, so that you can take out the audio platform when you race, and attach it when you're ready to go home...
    I've seen one guy do that...of course, it was a slight hassle, but he's still got good tunes to console himself with after he lost the race:p
    I'm just a weekend racer at the moment and the car is also my daily driver which is why I want to keep something basic in the car (I have a 2 hour commute each day). By removing the factory stereo I am losing some weight since I'm taking out the factory amps (2), subs (2) and rear fill speakers (2) as well as the heavy 2-din 3 in 1 head unit. I agree though, when this car becomes a full on race car I will be stripping the interior completely but I can't do that just yet

As for my mechanic getting pissed, well, I wish I could afford one but for now it's just me so I'll only be kicking myself later

Thanks for the advice though

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the help everyone.

Closed Thread