+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Reload Thread: >>>Engine whine and ground loop fixes... take two

jmanpc is offline CA.com Nostalgist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

>>>Engine whine and ground loop fixes... take two

Alrighty guys, since we no longer have access to the other ground loop fix thread, thanks to someone (you know who you are), I'm making a new thread about it.

Ground loops and engine whine cause common problems such as a high-pitched whine that varies with engine RPM's, various thumps while changing tracks, turn on/off thumps, etc.

There are various protective measures to take in order to decrease the likelihood of experiencing engine whine and ground loops.
    • Shielded RCA's
      A good pair of shielded RCA's may be the easiest way to avoid engine noise. Don't use patch cables or other el-cheap-o RCA's that are unshielded. I'm not saying you need to invest a small fortune in RCA cables, just make sure they are shielded.
    • Proper head unit ground
      This is perhaps the most common source of engine noise. Many times factory head unit grounds are poor. Relocating the ground wire or adding to the existing one will help reduce or eliminate ground loops.
    • Proper amplifier ground
      If none of the above have worked, check the ground for the amplifier. Make sure it is grounded to the frame, battery, or other substantial metal surface. Make sure the metal is good 'ol fashioned detroit iron. Many cars use metallic alloys or composites that aren't very conductive. Avoid those at all costs.
    • Wire routing
      Some claim this next fix is BS, and others swear by their grave that it works. But run your RCA's and power wires at least 18" apart. I route my RCA's on one side of the car, and power on the other. Couldn't hurt.
    • Grounding the RCA's on the head unit
      Many have had problems with Pioneer head units because of a poor internal RCA ground. To remedy this, simply wrap wire around the RCA's and screw the wire down to the head unit's chassis like so:

Thanks to Ultimate157 for the image.
      To view his thread on this subject, click here.

Please note: While ground loop isolators are tempting to use as a quick fix, I generally don't advise people to use them because they simply cover up the problem instead of solving it. Only use ground loop isolators as a final resort is none of the above fixes work.

Enjoy

2007 Red Ford Focus ZX4 SE
    - Clarion DXZ955MC -
    - MB Quart RSD216 - 2 MB Quart RWE-354 in 4 cubic feet sealed -
    - MB Quart DSC4125 - Audiopipe AP1500.1D - Optima Blue Top -

Team High Sexage

2. Thanks bwebster1989 thanked for this post

OoMesKoO is offline Me > Newbs. :fyi:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: >>>Engine whine and ground loop fixes... take two

I just did that to my Pioneer AVH-P6400CD. Worked like a charm! Thanks maaan!

jmanpc is offline CA.com Nostalgist.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

bump

2007 Red Ford Focus ZX4 SE
    - Clarion DXZ955MC -
    - MB Quart RSD216 - 2 MB Quart RWE-354 in 4 cubic feet sealed -
    - MB Quart DSC4125 - Audiopipe AP1500.1D - Optima Blue Top -

Team High Sexage

baseballer1100 is offline My life be like....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cbfryman was talking about one with the internal of the amp? Im confused do you know what he was talking about?

References:
    Caraudio.com
    Luckyt,Hotown,Thunder9500,Vladd,Mikeyb,kngoftheprk nglot, cd6551(x3),bolognabake,dalucifer,phrozen5100, frito,bring97, avs20,Resonant18,djman37,Showrides,Fi car audio(X2),jeeper07(x2),pimpedout97x,matrxx dude(x3),flakko(x2),mega1268,powernaudio,iamamp3pi mp.bamaboy,Daishi(x3).angrytrucker78,impalafan95.n etherland, down,blue200sx(x2),QtrHorseThecybe,jiggy2dmax,stc1 709,musclehead,NDMstang65v2,alxmlr789
    Carstereos.org
    Wackii,BrownNoiseBob
    Explorer4x4.com
    Fordexplorer157
    Mp3car.com
    StLB5,Coolskys05
    I know there is more ill try to find them.

dleccord is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

very informative on the rca grounding to the head unit.

REFS
    blackgeltabs, theCybe(2x), xplcitcustmz, mabel4life, bumpn_gt , PENER, BLD 25, j3bus2k3(3x) , PRIVATEpastry, guy022077(3x), alpine3612, 03tibgt, rocky 59, mattmcss, yotabeater,pepsican, iceteebone(2x), sfsloop @ mac. com, vincemarq, maldecido33, dalucifer, BassAddictJ, thakidgame, Scoobydoo, marcusb419er, nVRuckus, frkkevin, killahbean, CBFryman2, Zeuslicious(2x), bizzy07, expo5.0, dragonrage, 1loudsuv, nismos14, James Bang, mtlhead, Rsx_03, thaster, teamsubgopoof, CRAZYCORNUTS18, ggk, Colt9699(2x), thangalang, BloodStalker999, dwaynem, chaunb3400, volstitan908, blackbonnie, Fast1one, nineball, rbiele126, JayRich, Al_Capowned, runwitbass

smd4life is offline NOTHING ABOUT MEADE

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i've actually seen the power wire on the other side of the car thing happen in person... but it doesn't make sense because the same power is running through the whole car...

Quote Originally Posted by thevic24 View Post
    And with this.....I will use this as an excuse to drink another beer....
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
    Ref's:memphissoul4u, scottiej(x3), bassaddictj, jeepinTN(x2), Blados,lincolnls(slc720052), ssbogger, stuckinok(x2), matrxx dude, BoostedPontiac, fintheman, dbornotdb, mr. tibbs, lakota, iceteebone, WantedIsHere(HypnoticCure), Cahm Rohn, Bring97, Brian Owens, snoopysnooper, sdsport92064, annarbor84, tv559, RetroAudioinc, FJF, 01 S 10, oddiofile, stupify

smd4life is offline NOTHING ABOUT MEADE

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baseballer1100 View Post
    Cbfryman was talking about one with the internal of the amp? Im confused do you know what he was talking about?
    in some h\u's there is a fuse on the rca ground, conecting the rca ground to the chassis ground...sometimes this fuse blows...

Quote Originally Posted by thevic24 View Post
    And with this.....I will use this as an excuse to drink another beer....
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
    Ref's:memphissoul4u, scottiej(x3), bassaddictj, jeepinTN(x2), Blados,lincolnls(slc720052), ssbogger, stuckinok(x2), matrxx dude, BoostedPontiac, fintheman, dbornotdb, mr. tibbs, lakota, iceteebone, WantedIsHere(HypnoticCure), Cahm Rohn, Bring97, Brian Owens, snoopysnooper, sdsport92064, annarbor84, tv559, RetroAudioinc, FJF, 01 S 10, oddiofile, stupify

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by smd4life View Post
    in some h\u's there is a fuse on the rca ground, conecting the rca ground to the chassis ground...sometimes this fuse blows...
    I think its the actual amp thogh.

References:
    Caraudio.com
    Luckyt,Hotown,Thunder9500,Vladd,Mikeyb,kngoftheprk nglot, cd6551(x3),bolognabake,dalucifer,phrozen5100, frito,bring97, avs20,Resonant18,djman37,Showrides,Fi car audio(X2),jeeper07(x2),pimpedout97x,matrxx dude(x3),flakko(x2),mega1268,powernaudio,iamamp3pi mp.bamaboy,Daishi(x3).angrytrucker78,impalafan95.n etherland, down,blue200sx(x2),QtrHorseThecybe,jiggy2dmax,stc1 709,musclehead,NDMstang65v2,alxmlr789
    Carstereos.org
    Wackii,BrownNoiseBob
    Explorer4x4.com
    Fordexplorer157
    Mp3car.com
    StLB5,Coolskys05

AJČ06 is offline 8====D ---> ( | ) = win

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sweet... I got all the others done except the Grounding the RCA's on the head unit and I also got a Pioneer... so we'll see... It SHOULD work

http://www.myspace.com/unknownbelow
    Refs: Showrides|IonSQL x2|mattmcss|QtrHorse x2|DaGh0st|bjfish11
    حَتَّى إِذَا اجْتَزْتُ وَادِي ظِلاَلِ الْمَوْتِ، لاَ أَخَافُ سُوءاً لأَنَّكَ تُرَافِقُنِي. عَصَاكَ وَعُكَّازُكَ هُمَا مَعِي يُشَدِّدَانِ عَزِيمَتِي.
    Ebay:aj06silver
    Quote Originally Posted by Reson8 View Post
    Much as I shudder at the thought of potentially seeing your *****, writing caraudio.com on your dick would kick ***. Que the joke about only being able to get up to "CAR" on it....

springy101 is offline village idiot/racist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baseballer1100 View Post
    was he talking about the pioneer 880 head unit? is has some small micro fuse that pops easily and needs to be fixed by a pioneer repair technician

I must follow in eugenics' footsteps, for he is great

Ref's: Ebay

VOA_NIGHTMARE, Blados, frankga2, allenzo, bamaboy x2, Crown_amps, violentrapture, adio x3, bumpin_blazer, fi car audio, haunther, sbcaprice305 x2

AJČ06 is offline 8====D ---> ( | ) = win

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by springy101 View Post
    was he talking about the pioneer 880 head unit? is has some small micro fuse that pops easily and needs to be fixed by a pioneer repair technician
    IS it only the 880?

http://www.myspace.com/unknownbelow
    Refs: Showrides|IonSQL x2|mattmcss|QtrHorse x2|DaGh0st|bjfish11
    حَتَّى إِذَا اجْتَزْتُ وَادِي ظِلاَلِ الْمَوْتِ، لاَ أَخَافُ سُوءاً لأَنَّكَ تُرَافِقُنِي. عَصَاكَ وَعُكَّازُكَ هُمَا مَعِي يُشَدِّدَانِ عَزِيمَتِي.
    Ebay:aj06silver
    Quote Originally Posted by Reson8 View Post
    Much as I shudder at the thought of potentially seeing your *****, writing caraudio.com on your dick would kick ***. Que the joke about only being able to get up to "CAR" on it....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBFryman2 View Post
    Sapposeably if you ground the RCA's it will go away. I havent tried it but I'm going to give USampsa call and then brake out the soldering iron tomarrow.

edit:
    if that does work then USamps ***** at life. if it doesnt work then USamps ***** at life. The only way they can really redeem themselves now is fixing it free of charge, even though it is out of warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by CBFryman2 View Post
    at the amp. Best way is to open her up, solder a wire to the shield side (outside) of the RCA and solder that to the ground input.
    I dont know really this is what he said.

References:
    Caraudio.com
    Carstereos.org
    Wackii,BrownNoiseBob
    Explorer4x4.com
    Fordexplorer157
    Mp3car.com
    StLB5,Coolskys05

coolahan is offline 141.6 dB @ 36hz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

nioce

- Kyle

No system for the moment

REFs
    sundownz, teamquakecelica, stuckinok, fosgaholic218, xtremesplokc, Smoknum, MillzThaYungin, iagrdshaka, Derek Irby, AlpineAndy, reed dollaz

Supergumby5000 is offline Project: F350 begins...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

this sticky worthy? i plan on gettin a pioneer deck in the next few weeks so im gonna need this hehe.

Project: Avalanche V1... http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345189
    Project: Avalanche V2... http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432321
    Project: F350... Coming Soon!
    Need a box or box design? -EMAIL- me for info/quotes, do NOT send a PM
    my username @ hotmail.com

Prowler573 is offline R.I.P. Gossamer!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Supergumby5000 View Post
    this sticky worthy? i plan on gettin a pioneer deck in the next few weeks so im gonna need this hehe.
    If they don't make a sticky out of it just subscribe to it so you'll be able to find it easily later

Refs: [CA.com] [eBay.com]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast