Closed Thread

Reload Thread: So you are waffling between Best Buy install or DIY ? My recent experience with them

ChefJoe is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So you are waffling between Best Buy install or DIY ? My recent experience with them

Well, back in High School (class of 98), I had outfitted my old 85 Jetta with a Panasonic HU, 5.25" Vega Stealths (rear), 3.5" JBL GTOs (front), and a 12" Vega 124 sub in a bandpass box (argh... I know) on a Jensen 250W amp (argh... I know, again). The Jensen fried, the car is now on the way out.... Have a 97 Jetta now and was going to transfer stereo stuff.

It'll actually work out fairly well I think... Jetta has a stock HU and CD changer (which I want to keep for the time being ($$)) but the dash holes are for 3.5" or 4" speakers (stock = a foam tweeter) and the doors have 6.75" speakers (with a 2" mounting depth maximum!). I figured a few parts from crutchfield would allow me to replace the front speakers with the ones I have...... granted, power will be an issue, perhaps going from component to dual 2 ways might be a little overpowering... but right now, the highs are just a bit too bright IMHO. I have the same speakers, had to replace the amp with a US Acoustics USX2150.

My first step was transferring the subwoofer and seeing how it sounded. The HS stuff was all best buy pieces at the time. They installed it too (with the power and speaker wires together.... grrr). Now, I'm a bit more aged and adventurous, I thought about doing it myself. I even bought a dual amp kit with speaker wires (yeah, the RF 4/8 guage one) but after sitting on it for a few weeks, I realized I lack the confidence to try removing the stock HU, I don't have any familiarity with the best paths, holes in the firewall, and experience taking the car apart, and I don't know about how one installs a line out converter back there. So, I was going to have best buy pick it up, pay them the $55 + parts, and get it done.

Well, their signs say they install anything you buy, but the Tuttle Crossing one in Columbus, OH says they won't install your own wiring (warranty reasons). Well, I paid $115 for the kit from thezeb and they wanted $134 + tax + cost of RCA wires for their dual amp kit.... and I'd have to eat the cost of the one I had (I'd opened it, I might be able to sell it, but it'll still cost me a lot more). Did I feel like giving best buy 3X more money than I'd originally planned ($200+)? No, I left. I'll read up here, maybe get a guide from crutchfield, I'll consider a DIY on this (doesn't help with my original uncertainties, but confidence goes a long way).

In summary, anyone thinking about having best buy do their work, realize you'll get hosed on the wiring but don't believe those signs about installing your own equipment, it doesn't cover the wires.
    Last edited by ChefJoe; 01-05-2003 at 12:55 PM.

terifi is offline your average stereo junky

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    dang dude, thanks alot for saving me the time and money, i was planning to go out and get the wires my self too, and then have BB install it all. guess ill have to double check my store first....but yeah def. gonna get hosed on the costs, because its always cheaper online, even if its the same kit.

Have you looked at other places, BB isnt the only place, THANK GOD, out in NC we have a place called Now Audio Video, a little less commmercialized than bestbuy, and if you can find a more "customized" store, even tho they may charge a little more, A. it wont be as much as buying another wiring kit from BB, and B. they def. know what their doin.

Just my thoughts...

running 500x rockford hooked to some 10" mtx 6000

"It is never to late to be what you might have been" -George Elliot

"If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything" -Doc and George from B2TF

ChefJoe is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I have been thinking about that. I've been reading on VWVortex about how to get access to the cable conduits and got brave. I blame the anger for making me brave.

At this point I've run my 12v+ from the engine bay through the rubber collar for the steering wheel (yes, I'm going to secure the wire far out of the way of the moving arm) and think I can wire it all the way back to the trunk. I think I'll give it a shot as far as wiring things up myself at this point. I'll run the cables but not make the HU connections just yet and ask a local place (I think Columbus Car Audio is stilll around) to finish if I can't figure things out. If anyone reading this has a good reason not to run the remote turn on wire alongside the power wire, plase speak up... I'm on my 30 minute break before I go back and route the 12v from the firewall to the trunk.

Really pissed me off... yeah, you bought a RF kit, but if you don't buy our RF kit, you're SOL, despite the sign saying "we'll install what you have".

SuckMikeHawk23 is offline #1 Laker Hater

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    u should tell them to go shove it up their @$$, they use rockford wiring too, so what makes ur rockford wiring different from theirs? but yea, take it elsewhere, before i started doing everything myself, the place i took my car to to get done installed my amp with my amp kit and knocked off some money, im sure there are places in ur area who do that too.

Team Caraudio.com
    2000 Honda Civic Coupe:
    Alpine CDA-7892
    MTX81000D
    US Acoustics USX4085
    Crystal Mobilesound CPE60S
    Crystal Mobilesound CSC60S
    2 E12KD2's
    4.7 cubic foot ported box

AIM: TeamVicious23 and FishermanSteve23

Fender85 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by terifi
    THANK GOD, out in NC we have a place called Now Audio Video
    Yeah, there's one of them out in Winston-Salem. I went there once and I won't be back. Wasn't terribly impressed with the selection (JL and Alpine all around), and I thought the customer service was lacking. After getting one of them to help me (like pulling teeth from a rottweiler), he didn't help much. Took him forever just to get the setup working, and then he let me listen to the subs (two 10w0s in JL box) with the radio, and he barely even turned the volume up so I'm not sure what they sound like at high volumes (quite respectable at low-mid volumes though, especially for the price). Personally I prefer ordering online and DIY. But I just love building things and hooking them up.

terifi is offline your average stereo junky

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yes, whereas i on the other hand no know thing about wiring...however Now audio was a nice break from the commercialized Best buy/ CC atmosphere, and it seemed like they prob know what thier doing. And even if they just have JL and Alpine, hey at least they arent carrying or selling you crap, right?

running 500x rockford hooked to some 10" mtx 6000

"It is never to late to be what you might have been" -George Elliot

"If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything" -Doc and George from B2TF

ftgu is offline Class"A"********

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll tell ya now.....That must have been just the individual store or the installer, because i used to be the Lead Installer at a best buy, and I never heard anything so stupid. I know, i personally wouldn't install Messed-up kinked-up $hitty wiring myself but.....

"It's all fun & games 'till someone loses an ear drum."

CRXBMPN is offline ---> TEAM B.L.O. ME <---

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Re: So you are waffling between Best Buy install or DIY ? My recent experience with them

that is the same here in Maine, the local place will not use used wiring... pretty simple. what if the wiring has a cut in the sheath and it shorts itself out and ruins your stuff? who is responsible then? mmhmm...

Team Bass Lovers Of MainE/The Loud Crowd
    2k5 SLAP Stock 2 National Champion - I feel old...!
    Next up - 1991 CRX, two SAZ3000d's, and some subs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Re: So you are waffling between Best Buy install or DIY ? My recent experience with them

I don't think he was going to use used wiring...I say ffffukk best buy... I would never go there to have my stero installed or anywhere else for that matter. If you want it done right and cheap then the only way to go is DIY in my book. I think you should be be able to find a hole in the firewall to run your power wire you shouldnt have to run it throug the steering column I dunno i'm not to fimilar with jetta's.

Refs: Diyma.com, Caco.com

Acidburn is offline Super Mod-like-guy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: So you are waffling between Best Buy install or DIY ? My recent experience with

dudes, old ****ing post

MdOiDcEtRaAtToOrR
    1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 14.5 @ 94
    1967 Chevrolet Camaro 18.4 @ 74

jtomsic is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

*sigh*....idiots.

Headunit: Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
    Subwoofers: (2)15" RE Audio XXX(05 model)
    Sub Box: Undecided..
    Sub Amp: Crescendo bc3500
    Speakers: 6.5" RE Audio XXX Components(soon to be 2nd pair in kick panels)
    Speaker Amp: Hifonics HFi100.2(for now...)
    Wiring: 2 runs of 1/0 throughout, XS Power battery in trunk,big 3 done, 270a alt, 1/0 accesories throughout
    Deadner: 75sq ft AT 60mil, 20sq ft Alphadamp
    Security: Crimestopper 2way alarm/remote start

Strecker25 is offline Better than everyone

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

lol i gotta admit i didnt look either i just found it odd that i was seeing names i havent seen before and no1 familiar....i guess im an idiot also

Panasonic CQ-HR1003U
    Twin Diamond Audio M6 12D4's
    3.2Ft^3 @33hz
    Viper Audio d1200.1
    Diamond Audio M651 5.25" components
    Profile Clarus CL800
    200amp alt, big3

2 Gallons of eDead v3 ( Group Buy )
    40sqft eDead V1se
    20sqft Dynamat extreme

Pictures of the setup

Video of the M6's