Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Car Wiring Question Little Confusion

Ok I have been reading tons of posts on the BIG 3. I have added to my stock wiring in my VW I did the two grounds so far so 2 out of 3 is done. But I am confused on the alt to batt. part. My stock wire goes from the alt to the batt without any fuses or going through the fuse box it is a straight shot. So do I need to fuse my new alt to batt wire. I dont see why I should since the stock one does have a fuse. I read tons of post and some swear by fusing it and other have run years without it with not one problem. The factory wiring is been like that for years and no problem. What does everyone think. Opinions would be appreciated. Also the alt is a 90 amp so if I fuse what size I have a agu holder and am using extra 4gauge.

THanks

azbass is offline the salty ca.com mod

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Car Wiring Question Little Confusion

if its a clear shot, you dont have to fuse it, just loom and zip tie it tight to the exsisting wire.

forbidden is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Car Wiring Question Little Confusion

So, what is the chance that because you don't see a fuse that there may indeed be a fuseable link there that looks just like a wire...... or what if the link that was there toasted and someone replaced the line with a wire and no new link..... Fuse the line, it is a must. Here you are putting a new high current draw on the alternator and are not going to fuse it......and if the voltage regulator packs it in, you have a dead short and a car fire. Fuse the line and do it properly.

Yeah, whatever

Closed Thread

User Tag List