Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need some help with pioneer head unit

Unregistered Guest

Need some help with pioneer head unit

I currently have a Pioneer DEH-835r which has 40x4 watts head unit on my system. My little cousin
    dropped my face plate and cracked it, also the thing has been acting funny. Anyways I found a
    really good deal on a Pioneer DEX-P78 to replace it and purchased that (still waiting for it's
    arrival) After researching the head unit a little more, I see that the wattage per channel isn't
    listed on the DEX-P78, instead it says Q-sound 4 volt preamps. I have a 200 w kenwood amp powering
    my speakers and a 400w amp powering my 12" kenwood woofer. I was just curious how much of a sound
    drop I can expect since I guess the head unit doesn't have a chip in it...or am I wrong? Can
    someone shed some light...I'm not the brightest car audio person :-)

Thanx

maynurd01 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    More than likely it has no internal amp by the way that you are describing it. If this is the case, don't worry to much. The thing with "dead heads"(head units with no amp only preouts) is that they are geared more towards sound quality, so with the right amps, you should be able to drastically improve your sound instead of it being worst.

gregj9 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    with a deck that has only pre amp outs on it which the one you dexcribe does I think, you turn your attention from deck power to pre-amp voltage, 4 volts is not too bad and is pretty much the average right now. The higher preamp voltage the stronger your signal to the amp is. This does a couple things for you, one it lessens the chance for noise to "jump" on your rca lines and become a factor. It also allows your amp to take a little break, by letting you get the same output with your gains lower, than they were on your old deck..........I think you will be happy with the new deck.

96 honda passport

eclipse head (55040)<br />jl audio 500/5<br />Infinity kappa separates up front<br />4 eclipse 10"<br />audio control esp2 center stage processor

soon to come: Eclipse mids and highs upgrade<br />e-comm module<br />nav system

Closed Thread