Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Adding a 2nd amp.

Igotskills is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Adding a 2nd amp.

I just started installing my 1st real system this past weekend but I need some advise. I have a pioneer DEH-p7800mp deck, Kicker KX 400.1 amp, MTX 12'' (4500) in a sledgehammer box, and some Boston Acoustic Pro Series 5.2x components. I used a Rockford Fosgate 4 gauge amp kit for the amp install. The questions I have are:

1. Will a kicker KX350.2 Amp be a good choice to run the boston acoustics?

2. How do I install a second amp without running all the power wires and ect again? Can I use a distribution box for the power wire and the ground and split the remote turn on wire? Also what about the rc cables? I have outputs on my deck for front rear and sub. I have never hooked up 2 amps together before so any help would be great. I am going to order all the stuff I need at once so if you could give me a list of items so I don't forget anything that would be great. Also maybe a place with good prices that would have everything I need.

3. What do you think of the boston component speakers? I bought them used off ebay. I can't find any specs on them but they say pro series 5.0 and thgey came with crossovers here is a link to a pic of them. Can you tell me anything about them? One of the tweeters seems to not be working the same as the other one. Also the magnet is real real weak on it. Would that have anything to do with it? Thanks for your help. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

DC8 Flyer is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Adding a 2nd amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Igotskills
    I just started installing my 1st real system this past weekend but I need some advise. I have a pioneer DEH-p7800mp deck, Kicker KX 400.1 amp, MTX 12'' (4500) in a sledgehammer box, and some Boston Acoustic Pro Series 5.2x components. I used a Rockford Fosgate 4 gauge amp kit for the amp install. The questions I have are:

1. Will a kicker KX350.2 Amp be a good choice to run the boston acoustics?

Should be, 70x2 (conservative) RMS power should run them just fine, maybe a little much, don't know a lot about the bostons.

2. How do I install a second amp without running all the power wires and ect again? Can I use a distribution box for the power wire and the ground and split the remote turn on wire? Also what about the rc cables? I have outputs on my deck for front rear and sub. I have never hooked up 2 amps together before so any help would be great. I am going to order all the stuff I need at once so if you could give me a list of items so I don't forget anything that would be great. Also maybe a place with good prices that would have everything I need.

Your KX400.1 recommends a 4ga wire. You could get away with getting a 4ga Tblock from stinger and running your line from the battery in and two 4ga wires out to each amp. as seen here: http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046.

You can split the remote turn on, and use the same distribution block above for a grounding block as well. I used these RCA cables http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046
    I think you can find them in a 4 channel version as well, should make running them to the back a little easier. Also those cables are "directional" if you use them, look for the arrows on them, the arrows should point at the amps. I got about half of the first set run before I noticed that, reading the directions FTW!

3. What do you think of the boston component speakers? I bought them used off ebay. I can't find any specs on them but they say pro series 5.0 and thgey came with crossovers here is a link to a pic of them. Can you tell me anything about them? One of the tweeters seems to not be working the same as the other one. Also the magnet is real real weak on it. Would that have anything to do with it? Thanks for your help. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

If the bostons don't work out for you, I use kicker 6 inch components and to me they sound just fine. Nothing that is going to win a competion but they are clean, loud and easy to install (shallow depth on the midrange). Hunt around on ebay, I got my brand new for 100 bucks, I think they retail for almost 200. Good luck, it is an addiction and I am HOOOOKED!

Igotskills is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Adding a 2nd amp.

Thanks

Closed Thread