Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Adding an Amp to a stock HU - Help!

rastlin is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Adding an Amp to a stock HU - Help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so I have a 2000 Lincoln LS which has a stock HU and 4 speakers (one per door). I've decided to replace the speakers with the Alpine S-type speakers and adding a 4ch Amp, as well as adding some subs and a mono amp to power those up. My problem is: Since I do not want to replace the stock HU (got a 6cd changer and a stearing wheel controlls), at first I though of running wires from HU (as signal wires) back to the trunk (to the amp(s) ) and then run new wires to each speaker direcly from the amp. Then I thought of just running wires from the HU to the AMP(s) and back to where the HU is and connecting them to the harness and using the original wiring to get signal back to the speakers. (I think it would save me a lot of time). Which way would be better...and how big of the difference would it make (I assume rewiring everything would be better... just not sure how noticable). Also, should I run speaker wires from the HU to the amp ??? or convert them as close to the HU into the RCA cables and run those??? Not sure which would provide more shielding and pick up less noize... Here is some additional info about my car and system:
    There is no factory amp in the car, the speakers that I getting will be running at 40rms (250peak) so not very high power, and there is no RCA outputs in my HU and the amps have both high and low signa imputs:

Here is what I am getting:

Alpine MRP-F240 40w x 4 car amplifier
    Alpine SPS-57C2 5"x7" 2-way 250w car speakers
    Boss Audio GT1000M 850w
    2x 10" JLs for the custom closed box.

Any help would be very appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!!

badstang123 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: Adding an Amp to a stock HU - Help!

If it were me, I would use a high to low converter to get signal from the head unit to the amp. Then the speakers would be wired off the amp.

revrider1 is offline Hmmm...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Loc, Line out converter

ravendarat is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does the alpine have a built in LOC? If it does than just run speaker wire. If it doesnt then I would put the converter up front behind the deck. As for the wires, being that its a newer car and its not a high powered set up I think it would be safe to hook up to the factory wiring behind the deck.

VTEC is for people that want a fast and economical shopping cart

lionel2 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i have almost the same setup when i started my setup..get a line out converter...or get a new HU with at least 3 pairs of Pre outs...wire up all your doors to the 4 channel...and the sub amp to the sub..fuse correctly..in distro block and under hood...you will be just fine with stock battery and alt...i run way more power than youve got and i still have stock battery and alt 105A..no problems...lemme tell you from experience..i have 40w rms alpine in my 4 doors too and i have installed apline amps before...that apline oyu have will accpept 8 guage i am pretty sure...that sub amp not sure maybe 4 guage..doubt it though...i also run a JL subs...looks like you might be running some 10w3's..just a guess...as long as you got JL youll be fine..nice choice in 4 channel sending 40w rms to each door...as for your sub amp...what are its specs??..anding amp to stock HU..i did that a few times..i got a line out converter but...felt wierd...you got all that expensive gear and the source unit the brains of the system is lacking..pioneers come cheap at like bestbuy or something..nice one for like 250 to 300 would be best for you..just a suggestion..good luck..hope this helps..thanks

rastlin is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon14 Re: Adding an Amp to a stock HU - Help!

thanks for all the respons!!! My subs are JL Audio 8W3v2-D2 ... I believe they are running at 75 RMS they are 8". Although they are running at low wattage they give very good sound that is clear and deep. In my old car I ran 2x 12" Bose and I swear that the 8" JLs sound way better and clearer. I chose the 8" so that I could still have some trunk space. The amp that I will be hooking up to the subs is going to be a Bose 200 rms... so plenty of power. The Alpine amp has the LOC build in so I am leaning toward running speaker level wires from my HU to the back of the amp and then back to the harness. If I get noize I will rewire the speakers. Nice thing about my car is that my battery is already in my trunk. so thats making a easy hookup.
    I will post some pictures once I am done... suppose to get the stuff in the mail today ... but I am leaving for the long weekend so wont get started on the install untill monday or tuesday.

lionel2 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

sounds good...hope all is well

Closed Thread

User Tag List