Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Help determine how much deadener

bikinpunk is offline G-g-g-g-g-unity!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Help determine how much deadener

I know this has been covered, I searched, but I can't find any real answers.

I'm ordering some dynamat on e-bay (275 vs. 133 shipped) and installing it myself. I was told by a few installers the bulk pack plus a little extra would suffice for 2 front doors and the trunk (2006 Civic Sedan). I plan to start with the trunk and do 2 layers. The doors will get at least one layer. I would do more, but from what I've read, the dynamat extreme is very thick and one layer compares to two layers of other brands (raammat, edead, etc). I don't know if this is necessarily true, since I haven't worked with it before. My main question is to you who have installed in a smaller car, about how many square feet did you use for your car, and give me a breakdown if you can. I'm trying to decide whether or not to order a bulk pack (36 square feet) and 2 door kits (~ 1.4 square feet per pack) or if I need more. That would put me at close to 39 Square Feet total. I'm trying to get everything now, so once I start the install, I won't have to drive 30 miles to get more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Help determine how much deadener

Read this....

www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

Then contact the company that you want to buy from, they can and will help you determine how much you need.

Ruffy is offline Death to the salad eaters

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Why must ppl still insist on dynacrap

And a general rule. 20SQFT For each front door for 1-3 layers depending on how big the door is.

I bought 80Sqft. Did 2 doors, upper trunk lid, and random areas in the trunk

It will probably take me 250sqft to do my entire car(Chrysler 300M)

Amp 1 : Hifonics ZXi 6006 AB Amp
    Amp 2 : Hifonics BXi 1606 D Amp

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffy

And a general rule. 20SQFT For each front door for 1-3 layers depending on how big the door is.

I bought 80Sqft. Did 2 doors, upper trunk lid, and random areas in the trunk

It will probably take me 250sqft to do my entire car(Chrysler 300M)

Okay, so I'm looking at Rammatt's site. 63 sq ft for $142 shipped. Not a bad deal, however, is their a need to apply more to match up for dynamat's ability.

I know this seems stupid, but I get mixed reviews on here. Alot of people blast Dynamat, but it seems because of the cost more than the quality. Is the Rammat just better than dynamat extreme, period? Or am I right in saying the opinions are based more on the price. I believe $142 for 63 sq. ft. is a good deal for rammat. HOWEVER, if it's taking twice as much to use, then I might as well get the dynamat, right?

I've read about 2 different "deadener showdowns". None give a solid final evaluation.

iceteebone is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bikinpunk
    Okay, so I'm looking at Rammatt's site. 63 sq ft for $142 shipped. Not a bad deal, however, is their a need to apply more to match up for dynamat's ability.

I know this seems stupid, but I get mixed reviews on here. Alot of people blast Dynamat, but it seems because of the cost more than the quality. Is the Rammat just better than dynamat extreme, period? Or am I right in saying the opinions are based more on the price. I believe $142 for 63 sq. ft. is a good deal for rammat. HOWEVER, if it's taking twice as much to use, then I might as well get the dynamat, right?

I've read about 2 different "deadener showdowns". None give a solid final evaluation.

did you read the link jntar provided? lot of good info. raammat is about the same thickness as dynamat. dynamat is a great product. i use secondskin cause it's cheaper and great customer service. basically try to stick with butyl based deadeners. i've used edead (ashphalt) and the secondskin is a far better product

FoxPro5 is offline Causal wanderer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Marketing. However, the Dynamat Extreme does work very well. You just don't need to pay for the name. As the author of the SDSD concluded, RAAmat is the best overall value. Second Products do exactly what they are supposed to as well. Can't go wrong with any of them IMO.

The 36ft^2 Extreme bulk back will be enough to do a single layer on the skins, the door, and the door panel of both front doors.

TEAM Front Fill

The Fox audiomobile now sounds more quality thanks to SDS power.

The most expensive solution is the one that doesn't do the job correctly. ~ Me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bikinpunk

read the site

Raamat BXT is better than Dynamat Original By a long shot. But not better than Dynamat Extreme. It's also alot cheaper than both.

SecondSkin Damplifier And Damplifier PRO is better than Dynamat extreme and cheaper(Esp after the 20% discount you get when you join their forums) How much better? Thats up for debate. Dynamat Extreme failed the high temperature test.

I considered Raammat for a good while. It WAS cheaper. But in the end I ended up with a choice, 60sqft of Damplifier for about $149 or 62sqft of Raamat For $146

Figured it was better to get Secondskin as its True Butyl. I lose 2sqft and pay a few dollars more. But not enough to justify Raamat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Relevant links
    http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/
    http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/heat/
    http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/adhesion/
    http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/prices/

The one thing that I do love about Secondskin damplifier above all others is adhesion.

Like the artical states it starts off only mildly sticky. When i used dynamat, peel n seal, and brown bread before it all was too **** sticky. Didnt see how anyone ever needed to "heat" it up. The **** thing would touch the door and thats it, You never have a chance to reposition. It's on there for good. Made installing a more tedious process. Accidently brush the corner of a square you're trying to install against the door and you're screwed. Either cut that corner/edge off or risk flexing the door trying to get it off.

Now dont think that Damplifier wont stick on well. I tried to take a piece off my car a few days ago and could not get it to come off. **** thing is on there good. But during install i had plenty of time to remove and replace

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

read the site

Raamat BXT is better than Dynamat Original By a long shot. But not better than Dynamat Extreme. It's also alot cheaper than both.

SecondSkin Damplifier And Damplifier PRO is better than Dynamat extreme and cheaper(Esp after the 20% discount you get when you join their forums) How much better? Thats up for debate. Dynamat Extreme failed the high temperature test.

I considered Raammat for a good while. It WAS cheaper. But in the end I ended up with a choice, 60sqft of Damplifier for about $149 or 62sqft of Raamat For $146

Figured it was better to get Secondskin as its True Butyl. I lose 2sqft and pay a few dollars more. But not enough to justify Raamat.
    did you read the same sounddeadenershowdown that i did?

FoxPro5 is offline Causal wanderer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dynamat Extreme failed the high temperature test.
    Not all of us live in hot weather climates now do we

TEAM Front Fill

The Fox audiomobile now sounds more quality thanks to SDS power.

The most expensive solution is the one that doesn't do the job correctly. ~ Me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iceteebone
    did you read the same sounddeadenershowdown that i did?
    Look at the pictures, It's highlighted in red for a reason. Sure the temperatures were 500+ and you wont see that in a car. But that is still failing. It didnt do bad, It didnt fail miserably like the others. But it still failed compared to Damplifiers. If im paying 3x the price of everything else it better **** be flawless.

This is the same way the Dynamat Xtreme ultimately failed - albeit at a significantly higher temperature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Look at the pictures, It's highlighted in red for a reason. Sure the temperatures were 500+ and you wont see that in a car. But that is still failing. It didnt do bad, It didnt fail miserably like the others. But it still failed compared to Damplifiers. If im paying 3x the price of everything else it better **** be flawless.
    That is after 30 minutes of 500+...They claim it will handle that high. It didnt fail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jntar
    That is after 30 minutes of 500+...They claim it will handle that high. It didnt fail.
    Again that doesnt matter. One product changed at 30minutes at 500 degrees
    the other two didn't.

That means it fails plain and simple. The fact that your car will never get that hot in those parts for 30+ minutes is irrevalant. Whatever dynamat says about it's Temperature range is irrevalant. The simple fact is it started to discolor indicating failure.

I do wish that sounddeadenershowdown would do a version 3 that included higher temp ranges(I want to see complete failure of all products!)

Also would like to see peel n seal thrown into the mix. as well as cascade deadener, and scoshes deadener.

If i had the money and the time(mostly just time) I'd do my own tests

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

lol it was only second to secondskin. i wouldn't say extreme is 3 times more the damplifier. it can be had online close to damplifier price

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iceteebone
    it can be had online close to damplifier price
    My point. Considering all prices equal, is the dynamat as good or better than rammatt, second skin?

Also, testing a product to failure is great. That's how you determine tolerance. You also have to consider it's application. So, when failure is way outside of its operating range, the product is deemed reliable. If your car heats up to say 130 degrees F, and the product fails at 500, the likelyhood of failure can be considered non-existent.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast