Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Replacing stock amp questions.

nrgy is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Replacing stock amp questions.

I currently have a stock amp that does not use RCA plugs. Instead it uses some sort of rectangular plastic connector with which the wires are hooked into. If I want to upgrade the amp, would I simply need to cut the wires from the current connector, hook up rca plugs to each wire, and plug it into the new amp? Or would it be more compicated than this?

By the way, the stock amp is a 40 x 4 running two woofers and two midrange and tweeters.

rco8786 is offline Studmuffin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    you have 3 choices

1) least expensive choice: get an amp with high inputs and run your speaker wires into it just like you have it now.

2) but a line out converter, this will essentially turn your speaker wires into rcas

3) run rcas from your head unit.

Alpine 7894
    Pioneer 3-way 6x8
    MTX Thunder 4122 50W x 2
    1 E12k
    JBL BP600.1
    Custom Built V/T Box

nrgy is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just to make clear what I am talking about I took some pictures of the wiring harness connector and the stock amp. Is there a male end with the pin layout as that on the amp that will plug into the current harness? What about for the smaller connector?

I'm not sure if this was what you (rco8786) were referring to about the line out converter?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacing stock amp questions.-amp.jpg  

nrgy is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And here is the picture of the wiring harness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacing stock amp questions.-wiring_harness.jpg  

rco8786 is offline Studmuffin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yikes...disconnect the amp entirely and use choice 2 or 3....**** factory amplifiers just make things harder.

Alpine 7894
    Pioneer 3-way 6x8
    MTX Thunder 4122 50W x 2
    1 E12k
    JBL BP600.1
    Custom Built V/T Box

BOXSTERSGUY is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Replacing stock amp questions.

Originally posted by nrgy
    I currently have a stock amp that does not use RCA plugs. Instead it uses some sort of rectangular plastic connector with which the wires are hooked into. If I want to upgrade the amp, would I simply need to cut the wires from the current connector, hook up rca plugs to each wire, and plug it into the new amp? Or would it be more compicated than this?

By the way, the stock amp is a 40 x 4 running two woofers and two midrange and tweeters.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RCO786 hit it on the head, since most factory amplified systems are a serious PITA to upgrade you will find it is easier to replace the entire system(speakers,HU,Amp)rather then attempt to upgrade it,it is costlier but you will definitely hear the diff.My car came w/that crappy Bose system and since I will most likely trade my car in,in a year or two,I left all stock wiring intact and ran all new wiring.

02' Porsche BoxsterS
    Clarion VRX925VD
    ClarionDVH920 5.1 processor
    Boston pro 6.5 comps (doors)
    Boston pro .4 comps (dash)
    Boston generator 8" sub
    PPI Power series 4400 amp(frnt&rears)
    PPI Power series 2600 (sub)
    18" SSR GT3 wheels on Nitto shoes
    and a partridge in a peartree!!!

Closed Thread