Closed Thread

Reload Thread: no sound from woofers

drummergrrl is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon33 no sound from woofers

Ok here's the deal. I have two JBL 10" in my car that I'm not getting anything out. I'm getting sound out everywhere else. I''m getting power to my amp and I've even tried a different amp and it didn't work either. I've taken out the woofers and hooked them up inside and they work fine. I tried hooking another up to the output at the head and nothing came out . So is it possible that it's a problem at output of the head unit?? I've tried several different things ... anyone have an idea?? thanks

jamie

Mark_ab is offline The Alpha Male

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, you have one of three problems.
    1. Remote wire isn't working
    2. RCA's aren't working
    3. Power/ground problem

Is this not a reasonable place to park?

Matador is offline -= StillBumping =-

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    how can the ground affect the output of the amp?
    cuz i have the same prob, n it's none of the wiring. i replaced the RCAs, checked everything, amp is gettin power, but no signal going out to subs. i checked with another sub, n zip. i m gonna try hookin subs to another amp, or replacin amp. but does ground really affect teh output?

Eclipse CD5444
    Momo MM6
    Arc Audio CXL-2100
    1 12'' RE HC
    Memphis MC-1000D

www.angelfire.com/falcon/matador updated 5/02/03
    matador@caraudio.com

Mark_ab is offline The Alpha Male

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ah, sorry. I didn't see that she said she had power to the amp. Make sure it's a good connection and there is little or no voltage drop from the battery when the engine is off. If you get power, and you have a good ground then there are 3 things that could be wrong. Remote wire, RCA's, or the amplifier itself. Remote wire carries current, so you can check that w/ a DMM. Same w/ RCA's. If it's neither, then try replacement with a friends amp.

Is this not a reasonable place to park?

Matador is offline -= StillBumping =-

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: no sound from woofers

Originally posted by drummergrrl
    Ok here's the deal. I have two JBL 10" in my car that I'm not getting anything out. I'm getting sound out everywhere else. I''m getting power to my amp and I've even tried a different amp and it didn't work either. I've taken out the woofers and hooked them up inside and they work fine. I tried hooking another up to the output at the head and nothing came out . So is it possible that it's a problem at output of the head unit?? I've tried several different things ... anyone have an idea?? thanks

jamie
    i fixed my problem with the amp, it was just the fuse that's by the battery so that's good.

r u sure u gettin power to ur amp? while the amp is "on", take te + power off the amp, cuz the amp might just be "on" but from the remote wire, it's not really turned on tho. so check the fuse u got nothing to lose.

"taken out the woofers n hooked them up inside"? what u mean inside? if u hooked them to another amp n they work, then that's good, it aint the subs.

either way, this is what i did to see what the problem was:
    1. check fuses from battery n from amp. good place to start.
    2. make sure all the connections r fine.
    3. plug another sub that works for sure (borrow one from a friend) into ur output of amp, if dont' work then it's not the subs.
    4. try pluggin someone else's amp into ur setup, n hook ur JBL subs, if still not then...
    5. try replacing the RCAs n see if that aint it.
    6. if u still haven't fixed ur problem, then it aint the wires, nor the power, nor the amp, nor the sub. so it's left to the head unit. n dunno how to check that. but u can't check the subwoofer outputs w a multimeter, i think they need to open it up, or do some tests on it.

good luck

Eclipse CD5444
    Momo MM6
    Arc Audio CXL-2100
    1 12'' RE HC
    Memphis MC-1000D

www.angelfire.com/falcon/matador updated 5/02/03
    matador@caraudio.com

Closed Thread