Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Installing Infinity Basslink in Grand Cherokee

Angryhampster is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Installing Infinity Basslink in Grand Cherokee

Hi guys, I'm new here and was directed here by someone who said you guys definetely knew your ****.

anyway:

It'll be going in the rear cargo area of a 1997 Grand Cherokee and will use the speaker level (universal) inputs. I'm using the stock Chrysler head unit, but the vehicle had the Infinity Gold stereo option from the factory. I'm not sure if this placed an amplifier in the vehicle, or if it was just speakers. Underneath one of the rear seats is a small box that looks like it may be an amplifier, but I've never been able to figure it out. I can go out to my car tonight and try to figure out of this is, in fact, an amp. If so, does it matter if I splice the speaker wires there or at the head unit?

I'm fairly clueless about wiring and audio tech, and Infinity's instructions are less than decent. I should be back around between 7 and 8 with pictures of the "box" underneath the rear seats.

Any help is appreciated!

KaeZoo is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Installing Infinity Basslink in Grand Cherokee

There is an amplifier under the rear seat. It will be the most convenient place to catch your speaker wires. Just note that there are output wires for full range rear speakers, full range front door speakers, and high-pass tweeter outputs. Make sure you don't tap the tweeter wires. You can also find the amp turn-on wire, which should be green/red.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looking though the Basslink's instructions again, i noticed that it only needs two speaker-level inputs. Could I just use the rears, since the fronts are split for tweeters?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Certainly.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OK I installed it today...sort of.

I got it in and it worked GREAT for about a half hour..then it popped a fuse. No biggie. Put another 20A in, popped it. I figured the ground must've gotten screwed up, so i cleaned off the connections and tried it again, popped it. Checked voltage..all is good. Decided to locate another ground anway..popped it again. Decided to run a different line for main power..popped it again.

I followed Infinity's instructions EXACTLY, which say to put a fuse holder 18" or less from the battery and put a 25A fuse in it, connect to a solid ground, and use only 20A fuse in the amp. WTF Is going ON? I'm gonna be so pissed if this thing is broken already.

No, when it popped the first fuse, it wasn't turned up loud. It was actually barely on, and I was putting the spare tire back in my car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does the fuse blow instantly when you put it in, or does it blow only when the system is playing? If it blows instantly, then you have a short somewhere on the power wire. If it blows while it's playing, then yes, you probably have a defective unit.

Pyro_By_Nature is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where did it blow? The fuse holder by the battery, or the one in the amp?

Something I see quite often is the fuse popping in the amp as soon as contact is made.This usually indicates that one or more of the transistors in the power supply of the amp is shot.

If the fuse under the hood blows, you have a short somewhere in your power wire most likely.

Aaaaaaand if you pop one while listening to music, the fuse is either too small, or your ground is poor.

Where did you ground it at?

Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction. - Bob Marley
    2005 Subaru WRX
    1990 Honda CRX Si

Refs.: NHustlar, t00p, Kenny Pollock, vitveet, defj., mendon99, trevor87, saltyreefguy, willster, Iammurph, Dimensions684, kungfoojesus, karleon, bonestock, highhorsepwr, digital_ripper04, scottie johnson, stevew007, slammed, joshs98runner, PBateman, Sakura, duece212, mtx11, dirtye30, queball, audioarsonal, KHARPS. Not including box designs.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer Man
    Where did it blow? The fuse holder by the battery, or the one in the amp?

Something I see quite often is the fuse popping in the amp as soon as contact is made.This usually indicates that one or more of the transistors in the power supply of the amp is shot.

If the fuse under the hood blows, you have a short somewhere in your power wire most likely.

Aaaaaaand if you pop one while listening to music, the fuse is either too small, or your ground is poor.

Where did you ground it at?

It's ground on a bit bolt in the trunk, which I even took a wire brush to a few times to ensure a good connection. The 20A in the amp is the one that keeps blowing. It will blow instantly on contact, even with all the level on the amp turned all the way down.

I've checked the power wire, because I was suspicious of it. I even set the unit in the front seat for a few minutes and ran a new power wire (and fuse) to it, which was only about 5 feet from the battery. I established a new ground in the engine bay, and it still blew fuses.

I'm gonna try to go pick up some thicker wire today just in case 12ga isn't handling it properly.

Anyone else have any clue what might be up with this thing?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmanpc
    i had the same problem installing my LA amps.... make sure to disconnect the ground on the battery, put the fuse in (make sure its straight, that was my prob), and put the ground on the battery back

When you do this, it's going to blow too You'll know too because there should be a good deal of sparkage goin' on apon contact

2005 Subaru WRX
    1990 Honda CRX Si

Refs.: NHustlar, t00p, Kenny Pollock, vitveet, defj., mendon99, trevor87, saltyreefguy, willster, Iammurph, Dimensions684, kungfoojesus, karleon, bonestock, highhorsepwr, digital_ripper04, scottie johnson, stevew007, slammed, joshs98runner, PBateman, Sakura, duece212, mtx11, dirtye30, queball, audioarsonal, KHARPS. Not including box designs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Angryhampster
    It's ground on a bit bolt in the trunk, which I even took a wire brush to a few times to ensure a good connection. The 20A in the amp is the one that keeps blowing. It will blow instantly on contact, even with all the level on the amp turned all the way down.

I've checked the power wire, because I was suspicious of it. I even set the unit in the front seat for a few minutes and ran a new power wire (and fuse) to it, which was only about 5 feet from the battery. I established a new ground in the engine bay, and it still blew fuses.

I'm gonna try to go pick up some thicker wire today just in case 12ga isn't handling it properly.

Anyone else have any clue what might be up with this thing?

Thanks a lot for the help.
    You used 12 gauge for the power and ground? If it was under 8ft. it *might* be ok, but the length down a zj isn't 10ft.

I hate to tell you this, as I really hate bad news myself.But you will need to send your unit in for repair.Like I said, one or more transistors in the power supply probably took a dump.Could've just been a bad apple to begin with, or it could've been your install.

If you purchased it from a chain store, just take it back and ask for an exchange.If you purchased it online, with no warranty.I'd call Infinity to see how much it'd be to repair it.

Once you get the new unit back, run 10 gauge power and ground.Or even 8 gauge.

2005 Subaru WRX
    1990 Honda CRX Si

Closed Thread