Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need help with a JVC KD-SHX700!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Need help with a JVC KD-SHX700!!

Hey everyone,

I just finished installing my audio system in my Camaro yesterday (it involved some very "fun" alteration to the car by the way) and was listening to it. Everything sounds great and seems to be working fine except for the head unit. It gets scalding hot and even gets so hot sometimes that it shuts off. I was wondering if anyone know what could cause this? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!

PS: System for the car is listed below in my sig. if that is a factor in this case.

<<< Terminal206 >>>

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Re: Need help with a JVC KD-SHX700!!

hmmm....so you are running 4 speakers and no amp? try a different deck if you can. I'm thinking your speaker wires are touching somewhere and making the amp inside the deck get really hot....justa guess either that or your deck is bad or going to be bad soon.

Refs: Diyma.com, Caco.com

terminal206 is offline ~TSL~

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We couldn't get the speakers to work, so one of my friends suggested grounding the speakers directly to the car body, and they started working. Would that have made the head unit overheat? Does the size of the power cable make any difference?

<<< Terminal206 >>>

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

yeah you REALLY don't want to ground the speakers to the car. it sounds like you have a short in your speaker wire somewhere. heres what you can do to test...
    hook up the speakers like they should normally be hooked up ie both wires going to the deck. next disconnect them one at a time. get a small battery ( double or triple a or a 9 volt) and make sure the speaker leads are connected to the speakers QUICKLY tap the leads of a speaker to the ends of the battery. you should hear a pop noise from the speaker if is connected and working correctly.

does the radio turn on when the speakers are hooked up the normal way? recheck your ground...it could be not used in the harness...are you using a wire harness? try grounding the radio to the frame instead of using the harness ground.

What do you mean by power cable? the power lead to the Head Unit?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, I mean the power lead for the radio. Also, none of the wiring existed in the car before we installed the radio. The ground for the radio is already grounded to the car, the remote turn on wire is connected to the one that was in the car (the only one we managed to find), the power is spliced into to the cigarette lighter power lead (the only thing we could find that was constant, but the wire is a gauge smaller than the radio power in wire), Illumination is spliced in with the remote turn on lead, and all the power wires for the speakers are ran to the speakers, then the speaker is grounded to the car.

<<< Terminal206 >>>

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by terminal206
    the remote turn on wire is connected to the one that was in the car (the only one we managed to find), the power is spliced into to the cigarette lighter power lead (the only thing we could find that was constant, but the wire is a gauge smaller than the radio power in wire), Illumination is spliced in with the remote turn on lead, and all the power wires for the speakers are ran to the speakers, then the speaker is grounded to the car.

uh do you have an amp? if not you do not want the remote wire hooked up to god knows whatever you hooked it up to.

i'd recommend running some power wire from the battery and not use the cig lighter...that might make it run hotter if the wire is small enough.

Don't ground the speakers to the car.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

sorr, I didn't mean remote turn on, I meant the Accessory wire... my mistake.

<<< Terminal206 >>>

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

oh ok thought that might have been what you meant...that would have been an easy fix tho ****...

Closed Thread