Closed Thread

Reload Thread: deck works, but no power to speakers??

froadin4rnr is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

deck works, but no power to speakers??

i've done a few deck installs, but havn't run across this problem. i'm doing the install from scratch cause it was a used deck bought from a friend(no instructions) it's a sony cdx-m610 going into a 1984 bronco custom mounted into the center console. total cost right now is $75 for the deck. problem is that with all my wires connected i can turn the deck on but there is nothing going to the speakers. using test light i can assure you there is no juice/signal going out to the speakers. i pulled deck out ran over to my 4runner plugged it in to the dash and the deck works perfectly sending signal to the speakers loud and clear. i'm sure it is something simple but it just has me lost and confused, probably in the wiring, but from what i can see and tell i wired it correctly. any help here would be greatly appreciated.

SAVAGE SOUND is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    mabey a bad harness in the bronco or a short somewhere between the HU and the speaker?

1"tweets and 8"kenwoods up front 5.25" in rear arm rest and 2-12" kicker comps sealed in back.

http://www.carforums.net

ramos is online now Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Use another speaker to test the speaker leads right at the head unit. If all of them work the problem is in your speaker wiring. Time to redo your speaker wiring

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i don't thik harness is the problem since that is the only thing that is trully new on the whole project. i don't really think it is a short cause i unhooked all the speakers and then grabbed what i call my test speaker (6x9 in a box) and hooked it up directly to the RR positive and RR negative from the HU. mayeb a short somewhere within the unit?? but that can't be cause it WORKED perfectly in the 4runner. also, i have a JVC HU that was in the 4runner, it works in the 4runner, but when plugged into the bronco it comes on, but doesn't send any power to the speakers, just like the SONY.
    WIRING WIRING WIRING???

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yes my man you have a short or something not connected in your speaker wiring. Do you have DMM ? You can check for a short. By probing each speaker wire. Turn the dial to resistance. The reading should be infinite. If you get a reading you found your culprit.

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    so basically i made a mistake in connecting EACH speaker to the HU?? now i really wonder how i ever did any installs before. this might seem odd, but i'm wondering how i made the mistake 4 times?? i'll go check it out and get back to you guys ok all electrical equipment is at my brothers house so testing wires with anything but a test light is out of the question for now. only difference i can see between my wiring in the 4runner and bronco is that my main power wire, not the accesorie wire, is connected to the power wire(battery-amp) that ran my amp in the 4runner. should i just go ahead and connect my HU directly to the battery in the bronco???
    Last edited by froadin4rnr; 10-22-2002 at 01:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Originally posted by froadin4rnr
    so basically i made a mistake in connecting EACH speaker to the HU?? now i really wonder how i ever did any installs before. this might seem odd, but i'm wondering how i made the mistake 4 times?? i'll go check it out and get back to you guys

You didn't have to make it four times. It could be a panel cut through wires or something like that. Are you sure there is no factory amp in the system. I have been surprised before by some of the cars that actually had them.

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Alaxan is offline Common Sense Guru

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by ramos
    You didn't have to make it four times. It could be a panel cut through wires or something like that. Are you sure there is no factory amp in the system. I have been surprised before by some of the cars that actually had them.
    Definately check for that factory amp! It will cause u more headaches than you can imagine.

-Alax
    CEO Alchemy Computer Systems

Questions or comments?
    Yahoo: Static_Lullaby_77
    AOL: StaticLulaby1977
    MSN: Alaxinlord@hotmail.com

Slody4Futbol is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: deck works, but no power to speakers??

check all the tinsel leads and terminals on all speakers... happens all the time... i see it the most in fords and dodges... if a speaker is grounding out or a wire is shorted it'll cause the deck to quit playing music... it'll still work but no music will be played..

Been out of this for a longgg time...

Closed Thread