Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Fiber glass sub box

slaphappy is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Fiber glass sub box

I've got a single 12" eclipse titanium sub that I want to put in the back of my hatchback. Only one because I want to keep some space. I've never built a box before. I'm pretty sure I could figure out the volume for a regular ol' square box and build it out of MDF but I don't want that. I want something that will look like it belongs in my car. I have a basic idea of what I want it to look like but have no idea how to figure volume out for an odd shaped box and then apply it to the construction. I've looked at quite a bit of info on glass construction so I have a basic idea on what to do.

Part of the box will definately be MDF but the front will be glass. How do I figure the volume out ? How do I run the glass into the wood and make it hold so it's smooth and strong? And, how do I make a brace to hold the wooden circle that will eventualy hold the sub? This is my first time building, any help or guidance woud be greatly appreciated.

I could have a pro do it but I think the rewards would be much greater if I did it myself.

Eclipse 8051 head
    Xtant X604 running 2 pairs Boston Acoustic proseries 6.5 comps
    Xtant X1001 will be running eclipse titanium
    In a 2000 VW GTI

MikeofTulsa is online now The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Re: Fiber glass sub box

Originally posted by slaphappy
    I've got a single 12" eclipse titanium sub that I want to put in the back of my hatchback. Only one because I want to keep some space. I've never built a box before. I'm pretty sure I could figure out the volume for a regular ol' square box and build it out of MDF but I don't want that. I want something that will look like it belongs in my car. I have a basic idea of what I want it to look like but have no idea how to figure volume out for an odd shaped box and then apply it to the construction. I've looked at quite a bit of info on glass construction so I have a basic idea on what to do.

Part of the box will definately be MDF but the front will be glass. How do I figure the volume out ?
    no real way till after the box is done that i can think of....

How do I run the glass into the wood and make it hold so it's smooth and strong?
    use fleece(sweatshirt material) and stretch it over the mdf and apply resin....it should bond w/ the mdf....after that you'll want to sand and bondo the surface smooth then you can use high build poly primer and sand it smooth then paint...or you could apply vinyl or carpet instead of paint

And, how do I make a brace to hold the wooden circle that will eventualy hold the sub?
    just use dowel rods or somthing similar and hot glue them to the ring to hold it in place....

This is my first time building, any help or guidance woud be greatly appreciated.

I could have a pro do it but I think the rewards would be much greater if I did it myself.

Eclipse 8051 head
    Xtant X604 running 2 pairs Boston Acoustic proseries 6.5 comps
    Xtant X1001 will be running eclipse titanium
    In a 2000 VW GTI

slaphappy is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    appreciate the help.

MikeofTulsa is online now The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Closed Thread