Closed Thread

Reload Thread: battery keeps dying. wtf?

billy98sport is offline the bang of the small one

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

battery keeps dying. wtf?

ok i know that if u run too much power it will kill your battery. but i didnt think 1200 watts was too much. is my battery just shity or should i go with the whole new alternator thing or what ever your supposed to do when you car dies.
    im thinkin i just need like a really good deep cycle battery to do the trick but im thinkin of wirin sum neons so would that require so much more power that i would need to go with the new alternator?
    thanx

Jasontb2000 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like to me you need to upgrade you alt. If you get a good batt., you'll still be cheating yourself becasue if the alt. can't recharge the batt. you might end up in the same boat over time. If you have a true 1200 watts then yes you do need to upgrade your electrical system. if you add neons to the current system, your problems will get worse. You can't make the power if you don't have the power. Also your system will more than likely hit harder with an upgrade!

Frraksurred is offline Ubersomethingerother

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32

Hmmm, that part about the system hitting harder intrigues me. I love learning how to optimize what I have. Would an upgraded alt cause a system that is NOT stressing the current electrical system ( less than 600w) to hit harder? I got a couple of OLD 12's that still thump good enough to satisfy me, but if I can squeak a 'lil more thump out of 'em... I'm up for that!

Thanks in advance.

+t+ FRrAkSuRreD +t+
    Jesus is STILL the answer!

Alpine CDA-7873 ~ CDT HD-62CF ~ Orion Cobalt 2100's ~ Orion XTR 12" X 2 sealed

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    probably not...if your alt is not up to par..your amp is probably not getting the max. voltage it can from your electrical system which will cause it not to produce as much power...thats all he was refering to

billy98sport is offline the bang of the small one

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i talked to a guy at autozone about a new alt and he said that a friend of his got a hi performance alt for his system and he burnt the alt within a few weeks. he said that on his own system he got some kind of power supply thing that takes less power from your alt and then amplifes (not in watts but in electrical current) the small amount of power from the alt and then pushes it to the amp thus causing less strain on the alt but still delivering peak power. ive never heard of this. could this b a possiblity or is he just stupid? where can i find decently priced, good alts? and about what size would a i need i saw a few that were like 200 watt and 300 watt, what kind do you sugest?

HU: Alpine CDA-7897
    Hi: Infinity KAPPA 10.5T
    Mid: Pioneer TS-D680R, Infinity KAPPA572.5CF
    Sub: JL 8w7
    Amp: JBL BP300.1
    Power: Excessive Amperage 200amp,
    Optima Yellow Top Battery 31 Series

rco8786 is offline Studmuffin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^^ sounds like a capacitor..kinda

Alaxan is offline Common Sense Guru

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds to me like the guy was full of crap. A decent alternator will not burn out or blow like that and he was being of no help to you. The only thing really you can do in between is a capacitor, but again you need a good alternator to push that and keep that charged.

-Alax
    CEO Alchemy Computer Systems

Questions or comments?
    Yahoo: Static_Lullaby_77
    AOL: StaticLulaby1977
    MSN: Alaxinlord@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

chris229 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    what's up guys------------ first lets just say we aren't talking big power here.... don't need a new alt. Step one would be checking/replacing wires and or terminals from the alt to battery---- this includes grounds on the frame.motor and body------ this will eliminate any possible POWER ground loops cause a voltage drop in the charging system---- second would be to add a 2 farad cap to buffer the current demand from the system. if the car is have trouble charging 1 battery its REALLY going to have trouble charging 2 or more. The little black back that was spoken of it bulit by jacobs racing--- the accu- volt. What good is the high voltage out of an accu-volt when you can't draw much current??? Believe me ------ all electronics output a signal/power at a loss --- so there isn't any sense in sticking an accu-volt inline of and amp. Not a bad idea for your processors and HU though

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    chris...how have you been??? hadnt seen you on here in a while....hope things are going ok for ya.....peace,

Corsica is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yea its been awhile sence we seen ya on here man!!! Glad ur back!!! Hey does anybody know what a Corsica's max Alt. size is? I wanna replace mine beacuse, i am going to go with 4 amps neons and some other goodies possibly too, so an upgrade is gonna be in order.

Amps

Subs:
    Shadow 1000 watt
    Mtx thunder 2200

Rear comps:
    Kraco 140x2

Fronts:
    Optimus 20x2

This last 2 amps are temporary till i get loans paid off then i am gonna go crossfire or something new.

J

"A man doesnt win a war by dying for his country. He does it by making the other poor dumb son of a beyotch die for his." Patton

No system installed, but getting all the parts together.

J

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yea ----- I just stop over on the forum when I have time-------- going to school for dual major ---- chemistry/physics---- while working full time for chrysler on the durango assembly line---- plus studying to be a private pilot--- commercial diver and looking into getting my first house

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Corsica
    Yea its been awhile sence we seen ya on here man!!! Glad ur back!!! Hey does anybody know what a Corsica's max Alt. size is? I wanna replace mine beacuse, i am going to go with 4 amps neons and some other goodies possibly too, so an upgrade is gonna be in order.

Amps

Subs:
    Shadow 1000 watt
    Mtx thunder 2200

Rear comps:
    Kraco 140x2

Fronts:
    Optimus 20x2

This last 2 amps are temporary till i get loans paid off then i am gonna go crossfire or something new.

J
    most likely 90--100A you can call your parts store and ask what it is

Closed Thread