Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Clarion headunit drama - reboots when using turn signal

amptor is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Clarion headunit drama - reboots when using turn signal

Anyone know why my last two head units would reboot usually when the turn signal is on? I have a 1964 vw bug and have everything wired in correctly, but when I use the turn signal, the radio will intermittantly reset. It's a DXZ635MP head unit and I forgot the model of the previous one, it was a non mp3 version. The first Clarion I had in this car which was a pull-out didn't have this problem. This is a progressive problem, it does it a LOT more now than it used to. The previous head unit would do it once in a blue moon while on "radio".

I have cleaned the ground wire down to the metal of the car and reconnected the ground lead and cleaned up all the power leads going to the ignition switch. I've noticed when the flasher powers on, it robs a small amount of current from the LEDs in the head unit, barely noticeable.

Any help would be appreciated, I've run out of options besides running a new wire direct from the battery to the head unit which to make it clean would involve pulling the engine out and running a new wire by my firewall

I have a fairly new turn signal flasher (motorized type) in the car now and even tried replacing it with a thermal flasher, no luck. I'm not using the 3A Bus power lead either because I don't have radio accessories.

Anyway here's how the power is wired: red wire -> accessory +12V ignition switch. yellow 15A fuseable link (memory back-up lead) -> +12V ignition switch "always hot" (goes out directly to the wiring harness straight back to the alternator then to starter and battery). black wire -> ground to the chassis. brown wire (phone mute lead) not used. yellow wire (bus power lead) not used. blue/white wire (amplifier turn-on lead) not used. orange/white wire (illumination lead) -> headlight switch. blue wire (auto antenna lead) not used. And all the speakers are wired correctly and function fine.

stones is offline Senior member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Clarion headunit drama - reboots when using turn signal

You said you have grounded directly to the metal on the dash so I will move to the next step.
    Take the accessory +12V ignition switch, disconnect it and combine it with the +12V ignition switch "always hot". The headunit will always have available power but when the faceplate is removed it will draw almost zero current (memory only) so you don't need to worry about your battery going dead.
    If the problem persists then you may need to consider wiring directly to the battery.

Montypup is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Clarion headunit drama - reboots when using turn signal

Yup, try it attached to the yellow bettery wire on the back of the radio instead of the red and yellow. If that doens't fix it it could be a gremlin in the electrical system.

Kenwood DNX9980HD
    Zapco Blue 6.5" speakers

Closed Thread