Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 help please any suggestions welcome

I have reacently got a 99 supercharged Grand Prix GTP and was wanting to build a system on my own that would last a while but have good sound quality as well. But thats kind of hard for my as I don't have a lot of experience in car audio Im not sure as to what componets and all that stuff Im supposed to use. I want to use the factory head unit, its an AC Delco with CD and equalizer. Im looking to spend only about $300 but I know that would be difficult because car audio isn't that cheap these days. but if anyone has any suggestions at all I would greatly apprieciate it.

Pontiac Grand Prix GTP supercharged
    is what I drive

mykeys is offline URABUS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For threee hundred buck I would look into 1 sub and an amp to run it and tap into the factory speaker wires for a signal. Thats about all you are gonna get.

Mike

Your friendly neighborhood subaru freak!

Frraksurred is offline Ubersomethingerother

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm

That's the same car my Girlfriend has. It's got a 5.25 driver with tweeter in the front doors and a set of 6x9's and 4"'s in back. I'd go with Mykeys idea, get a mono amp like one of Alpines V-Power amps and a 10" or 12" sub in a box for the trunk. You'll also need an adapter for your spkr wires (the rear spkr wire would be easiest) that converts the wattage to a pre- amp level. If you have any $ left over sound deaden the trunk.

Have fun, come back with any ?'s you might have.

+t+ FRrAkSuRreD +t+
    Jesus is STILL the answer!

Alpine CDA-7873 ~ CDT HD-62CF ~ Orion Cobalt 2100's ~ Orion XTR 12" X 2 sealed

GrandPrix GTP is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon14 thanx

Thanks for all the help I have a 12" JL audio in my home sterio system may just use it and get a box thanks for the help though

Pontiac Grand Prix GTP supercharged
    is what I drive

Frraksurred is offline Ubersomethingerother

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Error correction

Oops! I must make a correction. The Alpine V Power series has spkr level inputs so wou wouldn't need a preamp. I was in a hurry when I wrote that post and obviously had not engaged full usage of my brain. Sorry.

As far as the JL sub goes, if it's designed for a home stereo it will certainly work... but in an environment it's not designed to do it in. In other words it will dealing with variables like moisture from changing weather that it wasn't built to withstand. If your going to do this just be aware of the dangers. Also, make sure you match the ohm rating and power handling of the sub to the amp you buy. A lot of home spkrs are 8 ohm, while most car amps are 4 ohm or 2 ohm (if you run 2 subs in parallel). If you don't do a little homework first you may end up with damaged equipment in the long run. Don't mean to spoil your fun, just thought I'd make you aware.

If you do end up getting the JL to work and you still want to spend the money you saved, then I'd look into a decent 5.25 component set to replace the one's in the front doors, though you would need an amp for them as well to really realize their potential. Just a thought; take care.
    Last edited by Frraksurred; 09-17-2002 at 01:05 AM.

+t+ FRrAkSuRreD +t+
    Jesus is STILL the answer!

Alpine CDA-7873 ~ CDT HD-62CF ~ Orion Cobalt 2100's ~ Orion XTR 12" X 2 sealed

Closed Thread

User Tag List