Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

FULLY LOADED QUESTIONS...xperts only ;']

Hey, just need a little advice on a car audio install

The equpiment i'm using is a JL 500/1, JL 450/4, JL 10w6v2, and DLS MS6 front speakers. The amps, cleansweep and the sub are all in the trunk.

Im keeping the stock head unit and using JL's cleansweep to equalize the analong signal and convert it to a digital signal.

Questions:
    1. What tools should I have before I start this? I have basic screwdrivers and a lug nut set right now.

2. As far as wiring, I want to run 2 guage wire from the battery and then run 4 guage wire to both of the amps. Should I run 1/0 guage instead of the 2 guage? I would need a dist block with 2 guage input and (2) 4 guage outputs correct?

3. The 450/4 and 500/1 amp says to use a 60 amp and 50 amp fuse respectively. I suspect these fuses should go in the distribution block. Do I still need a fuse within 18 inches of the battery if I have these fuses at the dist block? If I still need a fuse, how many amps should it be? (maybe a 110 amp fuse because of 60 + 50?)

4. What guage speaker wire should I use from the 450/4 to the DLS MS6? Also what guage wire should I use from the 500/1 to the 10 w6v2?

5. What miscellaneous stuff do I need for the wiring. For example, the connector for the 2 guage wiring to the battery. Can you think of any other wiring accessories I would need.

6. Is it better to run the 2 guage wire from the battery to the trunk and then put a dist block in the trunk to split it to 4 guage or should i put the dist block right after the battery?

7. The cleansweep has 2 channels of rca output, one for fronts and one for rears. The way i understand it is that i should run 2 rca cables (1 for each channel) to the front and rear channels of the 450/4 amp. I probably only need 1 rca now that i think about it because im not using rear speakers. Then im running rcas from the pre-amp output of the 450/4 to the 500/1. Does this sound okay?

The DLS speakers came with wiring to go from the x-over to the tweeters and mids so I wont be needing that.

heres a quick list of wiring that i think i need...does it sound like enough?
    1/0 or 2 guage -> 15 ft
    4 guage -> 15 ft
    speaker wire -> 30 ft
    Dist block -> 1/0 or 2 guage input and (2) 4 guage outputs
    Fuses -> 50 amp, 60 amp, and the fuse after the battery if i need it
    RCAs -> a 10 ft cable and a 5 ft cable (1 to go from cleansweep to 450/4 and the other to go from 450/4 to 500/1)

iceteebone is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: FULLY LOADED QUESTIONS...xperts only ;']

Quote Originally Posted by precise
    Hey, just need a little advice on a car audio install

The equpiment i'm using is a JL 500/1, JL 450/4, JL 10w6v2, and DLS MS6 front speakers. The amps, cleansweep and the sub are all in the trunk.

Im keeping the stock head unit and using JL's cleansweep to equalize the analong signal and convert it to a digital signal.

Questions:
    1. What tools should I have before I start this? I have basic screwdrivers and a lug nut set right now.
    lets see, wire strippers, crimpers, electrical tape, anything that would come in a normal tool box.

2. As far as wiring, I want to run 2 guage wire from the battery and then run 4 guage wire to both of the amps. Should I run 1/0 guage instead of the 2 guage? I would need a dist block with 2 guage input and (2) 4 guage outputs correct?
    run 1/0 guage. that way in case you upgrade, you already have it run. get a fused distro, agu fused will work, with 1/0 guage in, 2 4 guage out.

3. The 450/4 and 500/1 amp says to use a 60 amp and 50 amp fuse respectively. I suspect these fuses should go in the distribution block. Do I still need a fuse within 18 inches of the battery if I have these fuses at the dist block? If I still need a fuse, how many amps should it be? (maybe a 110 amp fuse because of 60 + 50?)
    yes fuse within 18" of battery in the main 1/0 guage. you fuse to wire thickness, but going by the ratings on the amp will work. a 100 amp anl fuse by the battery will work. in your distro block you can place 2 60 amp agu fuses.

4. What guage speaker wire should I use from the 450/4 to the DLS MS6? Also what guage wire should I use from the 500/1 to the 10 w6v2?
    14-16 will work for the components, 10-16 guage will work for the sub.

5. What miscellaneous stuff do I need for the wiring. For example, the connector for the 2 guage wiring to the battery. Can you think of any other wiring accessories I would need.
    depends on your battery. you'll need a battery terminal. if you have a dual post battery, and your top posts are free, a top post terminal from www.knukonceptz.com will work great. cheap and has room for expansion. more details on the battery will help determine what terminal you need. you might want a ground distro. it doesn't need to be fused. it has to have 1/0 guage in and 2 4 guage out. you ground the 1/0 guage wire to bare metal in the car, and make it as short as possible. then wire the 2 4 guage wires to the amps.

6. Is it better to run the 2 guage wire from the battery to the trunk and then put a dist block in the trunk to split it to 4 guage or should i put the dist block right after the battery?
    just put it in the trunk.

7. The cleansweep has 2 channels of rca output, one for fronts and one for rears. The way i understand it is that i should run 2 rca cables (1 for each channel) to the front and rear channels of the 450/4 amp. I probably only need 1 rca now that i think about it because im not using rear speakers. Then im running rcas from the pre-amp output of the 450/4 to the 500/1. Does this sound okay?
    front rca output to front input in the 450/4 and rear output to rear input of 450/4. then you can use the aux. output from the 450/4 to the sub amp.

The DLS speakers came with wiring to go from the x-over to the tweeters and mids so I wont be needing that.

heres a quick list of wiring that i think i need...does it sound like enough?
    1/0 or 2 guage -> 15 ft
    4 guage -> 15 ft
    speaker wire -> 30 ft
    Dist block -> 1/0 or 2 guage input and (2) 4 guage outputs
    Fuses -> 50 amp, 60 amp, and the fuse after the battery if i need it
    RCAs -> a 10 ft cable and a 5 ft cable (1 to go from cleansweep to 450/4 and the other to go from 450/4 to 500/1)

you'll need two rca's to go to the 450/4. front & rears. 4-channel amps have 2 inputs, not 1. probably don't need that much 4 guage wire. don't know how big your car is so not sure about the length of the 1/0 guage or speaker wire. also don't forget your remote wire.

precise is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

the car is a subaru legacy sedan so I just estimated the lengths

I only mentioned 1 set of rcas to go to the 450/4 because i dont plan on using the rear channels for now. I dont have enough $$ for another set of speakers for the rear right now. I guess i'll just run rcas for now and leave them unplugged for the future.

For the battery, its the stock battery so i dont know if its dual posts or not. what if its not dual posts, how do i connect the wire to the battery? The last install i had just had the 1/0 guage wire crimped and attached with ring terminal to the battery.

Another quick question....do i put any sound deadening material on after the install is finished or should that be the first thing i do...before i run wires and mount speakers.

Does anyone know of an amp kit that would fit my install?

Thanks for all the help

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

the car is a subaru legacy sedan so I just estimated the lengths

I only mentioned 1 set of rcas to go to the 450/4 because i dont plan on using the rear channels for now. I dont have enough $$ for another set of speakers for the rear right now. I guess i'll just run rcas for now and leave them unplugged for the future.

For the battery, its the stock battery so i dont know if its dual posts or not. what if its not dual posts, how do i connect the wire to the battery? The last install i had just had the 1/0 guage wire crimped and attached with ring terminal to the battery.

Another quick question....do i put any sound deadening material on after the install is finished or should that be the first thing i do...before i run wires and mount speakers.

Does anyone know of an amp kit that would fit my install?

Thanks for all the help

is it side or top posts? they make terminals for everything these days, si i just depends on what you have. i would say it would be easier to sound deaden first, then you don't have all the crap to disconnect and move out of the way. i'm sure there is an amp kit out there. go to www.weldingsupply.com and buy some 1/0 guage wire and 4 guage. your terminals, rca's, fuse holder, and distro bloxks can be purchased at www.knukonceptz.com.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

o then its a top post cuz the positive and negative terminals are on top.

for terminals, i dont even think i need any if i get a battery terminal. Where would I use terminals in my setup?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

for terminals, i dont even think i need any if i get a battery terminal. Where would I use terminals in my setup?

you would need a ring terminal for the ground. what i would do is get one of those top post terminals from knukonceptz.com for $12. put your 1/0 guage wire in the set-screw part. then take your oem wires and out ring terminals on them and put them in the screw down part.

zachzchw is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Youll need at least 1 to use for the ground.
    Id probably get about 20 ft. of 1/0. Better safe than sorry.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ahh good catch. Im gonna have 2 grounds for my amps.

should i just get my speaker wire from knukonceptz too? i might have some extra speaker wire from a home theatre installation. if its the right guage i could just use that too right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

should i just get my speaker wire from knukonceptz too? i might have some extra speaker wire from a home theatre installation. if its the right guage i could just use that too right?

just get it at walmart. if you are gonna ground both amps individually make sure to ground them to the same spot.

zachzchw is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You can ground the amps together. It will help to eliminate ground noise that way.
    Yes, any speaker wire will work.

Closed Thread