Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

'95 Camry upgrade: DIN question and stock speaker cover removal

I asked this question in the speakers and HU areas, but perhaps this was a better place for it.

First, does anyone have experience removing the stock speaker covers on a '95 Camry? I want to upgrade the speakers, but leave the stock grills in place. Security through obscurity, and all that. It looks like the door speaker grills should pop out with a flat-head screwdriver, but I'd rather find out before I force the issue and break some plastic... I haven't looked at the rears too closely, but the grills are a separate unit from the speaker, just as in the front.

The second question is regarding the installation of a standard DIN HU. I'm thinking about one of the Alpine MP3-capable units. This is my wife's car, and I'm certain that she won't want to deal with the hassle of popping the face plate and taking it with her so a hiding face plate, along with stock-looking speakers, will keep the car looking uninteresting. But back to the question: Will these standard DIN units install without requiring any modification of the plastic around the dash openning? I'd like to keep the option of removing the new equipment, and replacing the stock stuff, when I sell the car.

I think I'll hold off on amps and a sub, for now. All my wife really wants is a CD player, and with 6.5" and 6x9 speakers she won't be as bad off in the bass department as I am with the 4" monsters in my '89 Celica. Give me a few months, though, and I'll be back looking for amp wiring tips...

Thanks,

--Mike

SAVAGE SOUND is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the HU in this car is sooooooo easy to replace. take a standard (flat tiped) screw driver and gently work out the trim that goes around the bottom of the radio area. (the trim that looks like the letter "C" on its back) after you get that off you can see 4 screws holding the HU and the compartment under it to the dash. remove the screws and the whole deal just pull out.its that easy!! simply snap the new HU inplace of the old unit put in the new wiring harnesses and you should be set. if you have any other questions let me know. ive taken this entire car appart (wire shorting problems) and i think i could hap ya with any questions. hope this helps!

1"tweets and 8"kenwoods up front 5.25" in rear arm rest and 2-12" kicker comps sealed in back.

http://www.carforums.net

drpain714 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well first of all.. i have taken apart both the front and rear speakers in a 95 camry. I also thought that u could jus pry open the stock grills but unfortunately u cant. First for the fronts, you need to unscrew the door panel by removing 2 screws in the panel closer to the interior of the car(hidden unless you open the door and remove the caps), then 3 more screws on the door panel (2 on the arm bar...and i think one capped in the little cubby hold near the bottom of the door) and 2 more screws on the bottom edge of the door panel( you have to get underneath the door to see them). Also there are 2 "screwpins" on the border furthest away from the interior which is a little difficult to remove; however, it is possible. You need to use some very skinny pliers and gently pry out. Once you remove them all you must carefully pull the panel away from the door as the door handle frame will gradually come off. Then jus lift upward along the window being careful since there is wires that connect to the auto-windows. Then you basically have the door panel removed and you jus need to place your new 6.5's into the bracket. Another thing is that many aftermarket 6.5 cannot fit into the OEM bracket so u'll need an addition GM/Jeep SAP or Toyota SAP which can be purchased from crutchfield.com.

The rears are even more tricky as you need to remove the entire rear bench. On both ends jus pull upwards and they should come lose. then press the release button(top border of seat back) on both left and right seats recline. That should leave u 2 capped screws which u need to remove. Then remove the posts by removing the bolts on the bottoms of the posts. Slide them upwards which leaves the rear console. Then you must remove the brake light cover and then play around as you can gently remove the entire rear console. That exposes the pair of factory 6x9's. Be careful as the screws are extremely easy to strip and u dont have much area to work w/ since of the rear windsheild. I had to get mine installed since I didn't have the correct tools. You also might have to drill new holes for the new 6x9's.
    Well i hope this helps...

Dwayne

MrJollie is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: '95 Camry upgrade: DIN question and stock speaker cover removal

Sorry to bring a post back from the dead fellas. But I decided that it'd be better than just re-posting and re-posting. I'm installing wire in my 93' Camry, and I was able to remove all of the necessary scews on the front doors, but still could not get the panel off. It was being caught up on the plastic piece around the door lever. Any idea on how that piece pops off? Cause I tried to pry up, but didn't want to snap anything. Thanks for any help fellas.

snebes is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: '95 Camry upgrade: DIN question and stock speaker cover removal

If I get what piece you are talking about, try sliding it to the left and right and it may slide off. Thats how it works in my ol' 95.

steve n

REFS: cobra65427289, k-mart, chetney, cred118833, mazdakid, Capthook, unbonyr

Closed Thread

User Tag List