Closed Thread

Reload Thread: RCA help

electricamp is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

RCA help

I have 2 Precision power pc275 amps, each running a Soundstream SPL 10 DVC. I have split the RCA at the back of my KENDWOOD KDC-x859 and ran a set to each amp. If i have just one amp's RCAs plugged in, it sounds fine. If i plug in the other amp...distortion sets in. Any help is appreciated!

thanks

chris229 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: RCA help

Originally posted by electricamp
    I have 2 Precision power pc275 amps, each running a Soundstream SPL 10 DVC. I have split the RCA at the back of my KENDWOOD KDC-x859 and ran a set to each amp. If i have just one amp's RCAs plugged in, it sounds fine. If i plug in the other amp...distortion sets in. Any help is appreciated
    thanks
    what kind of distortion??? like sh*ty sound ? OR some alternator whine[sound changes with RPMs of motor] or a hissing sound. Basicly is the music really distorted or are you just getting noise?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    its not terrible distrotion, it just seems like both amps loose power. if i turn one of the crossover buttons on one of the amps on, it seems to run fine? why would that be?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    its not terrible distrotion, it just seems like both amps loose power. if i turn one of the crossover buttons on one of the amps on, it seems to run fine? why would that be?
    Do you have an external crossover----or you talking about the one built INTO the amp?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    THere is one built into both amps

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    so no matter which amp you plug JUST one set into it sound fine BUT when both sets are running it degrades the sound--------UNLESS you activate a crossover on ONE of the amps-------ummm well ---a HU can run out of signal when split BUT this isn't common. Is the spliter directly on the HU or on the end of a extended RCA cable? if it's on a cable---change try switching the main cable-------i don't know why the x-over would fix the problem. Maybe the HU just can't drive a split RCA---but something is a miss here cause the X-over fixes it. YOU 'd need to put the outputs on a volt meter or scope to see what is happening. Run a test CD and measure the signal voltage at the amp with just one amp wired THEN connect 2 amps and see if the voltage drops<--------a sign that the HU can't drive the signal.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    correct me if I am wrong. If you split one set of RCA outputs at the head unit and run 2 seperate pairs to 2 seperate amplifiers, you should not have to use crossovers of any type or anything right? They should both recieve the same type of signal from the headunit and react the same?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    correct me if I am wrong. If you split one set of RCA outputs at the head unit and run 2 seperate pairs to 2 seperate amplifiers, you should not have to use crossovers of any type or anything right? They should both recieve the same type of signal from the headunit and react the same?

thanks
    right----- x-over only has to do with what freq the speakers like

sforget is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

two amps

I had this problem once. I'm guessing each amp is running a different sub in one box. If this is the case check your polarity on the speaker wires. You'll probably find that you accidentally got one backwards. this would one sub to pull in while the other is pushing out, effectively cancelling eachother out.

Car audio is:

10% equipment
    70% Install
    20% Creativity
    and 100% attitude

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You are exactly right, i checked it last night and the one was backwords....louder than hell now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: two amps

Originally posted by sforget
    I had this problem once. I'm guessing each amp is running a different sub in one box. If this is the case check your polarity on the speaker wires. You'll probably find that you accidentally got one backwards. this would one sub to pull in while the other is pushing out, effectively cancelling eachother out.
    good call

Closed Thread