Closed Thread

Reload Thread: HU cuts out when Bass hits

i3abyjay25 is offline Get F'n Loud

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

HU cuts out when Bass hits

sup, i have an Kenwood KDC 8011 HU and it cuts off when my bass hits hard ((4) 12s Kicker Xpls running from an OrionXTRPro2400watt amp). is it my HU or is the amp just drawing to much power shuttin off the radio or what? i would like to get this fix by next week, got a car show wantin to goto...

Fs/t

Orion 2500d
    Orion 4004
    250 amp alt w. external voltage reg. for a ford explorer

Refs: Electrodynsmic, Millerboy, Ugaboiii, Ezekiel81923, Toaster, Team Psi, KickerCivic1, MatrxxDude, TommyK90, Xterra02_Pat

chris229 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: HU cuts out when Bass hits

Originally posted by i3abyjay25
    sup, i have an Kenwood KDC 8011 HU and it cuts off when my bass hits hard ((4) 12s Kicker Xpls running from an OrionXTRPro2400watt amp). is it my HU or is the amp just drawing to much power shuttin off the radio or what? i would like to get this fix by next week, got a car show wantin to goto...
    the HU turns off or your highs connected to the HU cut out???

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the HU itself cuts off... cutting the amps off.. but the HU cuts off and then righ back on again...i took a volt meter to it today and the power seem fine .. it stayed from 12 to 14 Volts...
    this may have something o do w/ it but i also have an MTX crossover,, and sometime when i cut the car off... i look at the power light on the CO and its flickering.. it shouldnt be on at all... but its flickerin
    and sometimes, if i turn the car on from ACC...the HU tries to flip over and turn on.. but just doesnt make it.. like it start to flip and it will stop.. like it doesnt have enough power to continue to cut itself on.. but if i crank my car, it cuts on fine...could it possible be the battery... havent though about tha till now...ill hook up my optima battery tomorrow and see what happens their and have my Altanator and Battery tested..
    Hope Some1 Can Help

Fs/t

Orion 2500d
    Orion 4004

Refs: Electrodynsmic, Millerboy, Ugaboiii, Ezekiel81923, Toaster, Team Psi, KickerCivic1, MatrxxDude, TommyK90, Xterra02_Pat

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the HU itself cuts off... cutting the amps off.. but the HU cuts off and then righ back on again...i took a volt meter to it today and the power seem fine .. it stayed from 12 to 14 Volts...
    this may have something o do w/ it but i also have an MTX crossover,, and sometime when i cut the car off... i look at the power light on the CO and its flickering.. it shouldnt be on at all... but its flickerin
    and sometimes, if i turn the car on from ACC...the HU tries to flip over and turn on.. but just doesnt make it.. like it start to flip and it will stop.. like it doesnt have enough power to continue to cut itself on.. but if i crank my car, it cuts on fine...could it possible be the battery... havent though about tha till now...ill hook up my optima battery tomorrow and see what happens their and have my Altanator and Battery tested..
    Hope Some1 Can Help
    you may have a bad connection on the power,ground or turn on wires to your HU causing a voltage drop that is lower than everything else sees. so when your amp pull alot of current it causes the HU to not have enough voltage to run ---so it shuts off for a split sec

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yeah thats whats some1 else said also... and that does prett much sound like the problem... but what do i do about it?

Fs/t

Orion 2500d
    Orion 4004

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    also today, i checked all the power to the HU.. and they were good... i tested them w/ a voltmeter and everything..everythin tested well, 12-14 Volts. the ground source to the radio is the antenna.. i also have ran another ground and hook it up to the ground wire on the back of the radio...

Fs/t

Orion 2500d
    Orion 4004

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    also today, i checked all the power to the HU.. and they were good... i tested them w/ a voltmeter and everything..everythin tested well, 12-14 Volts. the ground source to the radio is the antenna.. i also have ran another ground and hook it up to the ground wire on the back of the radio...
    THE ground source should NEVER be the antenna---It should be the ground wire

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yea thats why i ran another ground wire..so u got any idea as to whats going on here? or how to fix it?

Fs/t

Orion 2500d
    Orion 4004

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yea thats why i ran another ground wire..so u got any idea as to whats going on here? or how to fix it?
    does it still happen with the NEW ground wire?? if so your going to have to track down any voltage drops by measuring the drop between the battery positive and the HU power wire--- the battery negitve and the HU ground--- the battery and the HU remote

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yea it still does it w/ the new ground wire....it dont only cut out when the bass hits, i had it on ATT mode and it started cuttin off? if i not running and speakers of the HU amp, can it still get hot and shut off?

Fs/t

Orion 2500d
    Orion 4004

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yea it still does it w/ the new ground wire....it dont only cut out when the bass hits, i had it on ATT mode and it started cuttin off? if i not running and speakers of the HU amp, can it still get hot and shut off?
    get hot ----yea. Shut off from the heat---- not likely. you have to find the voltage drop in the power wires

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ok, ill have to wait till tomorrow.. i dnt have a volt meter, so ill have to goto my friends and wait ill he gets off work... but ten if and when i do find where it drops.. what do i do then?? and do i need to turn my system on and up as loud as i usually play it? is the only way i ll notice the drop, is when the radio cuts oit like it does?
    to many questions for such an easy task

Fs/t

Orion 2500d
    Orion 4004

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ok, ill have to wait till tomorrow.. i dnt have a volt meter, so ill have to goto my friends and wait ill he gets off work... but ten if and when i do find where it drops.. what do i do then?? and do i need to turn my system on and up as loud as i usually play it? is the only way i ll notice the drop, is when the radio cuts oit like it does?
    to many questions for such an easy task
    you got it----run the system to the point that it is cutting out then make your measurements---find the bad wire/connection

Closed Thread