+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Reload Thread: Why are sundown subs so underrated?

  1. #1
    NuckinFutz's Avatar
    NuckinFutz is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, La
    Posts
    713
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Why are sundown subs so underrated?

    Its very aggravating trying to decide which subs to buy. I'm looking at 2600-3000 watts arms from my Amps. I want the x series but I don't know if I have enough power because with the Sa's people are like "they really come alive on 1200 watts." I don't have 4k watts + of power if the x's are the same way.







  2. #2
    hispls's Avatar
    hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,125
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

    Re: Why are sundown subs so underrated?

    Legitimate companies rate things so that they won't come back blown and they consider a power level that's pretty much retard proof. That way if somebody breaks a woofer they KNOW it was abused unless there's a really obvious mechanical defect from manufacturing.

    IMO if you need to ask this question you have no business running more than rated power to a woofer and you probably should stick to the ones that honestly rate things.




  3. #3
    BoomBoxStereo's Avatar
    BoomBoxStereo is offline @woofergram



    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,801
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

    Re: Why are sundown subs so underrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    IMO if you need to ask this question you have no business running more than rated power to a woofer and you probably should stick to the ones that honestly rate things.
    x2



    Two AA Mayhem motored 18's with SSA Zcon parts on 4k.

    Bought From: kickerassman, I Heart Vtec, dadydolas, gameovercca (x2), SPLaudio
    Sold To: Nopony7, 04murdalanche (x2), gameovercca

  4. #4
    BoomBoxStereo's Avatar
    BoomBoxStereo is offline @woofergram



    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,801
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

    Re: Why are sundown subs so underrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by NuckinFutz View Post
    Its very aggravating trying to decide which subs to buy. I'm looking at 2600-3000 watts arms from my Amps. I want the x series but I don't know if I have enough power because with the Sa's people are like "they really come alive on 1200 watts." I don't have 4k watts + of power if the x's are the same way.
    it's not aggravating if you know what you're doing..... you gave me crap for selling my obsidians for $110 + $40 shipping each but can't figure out how much wattage to give a sub? credibility gone.



    Two AA Mayhem motored 18's with SSA Zcon parts on 4k.

    Bought From: kickerassman, I Heart Vtec, dadydolas, gameovercca (x2), SPLaudio
    Sold To: Nopony7, 04murdalanche (x2), gameovercca

  5. Thanks voughtrod, momax_powers thanked for this post
    Likes voughtrod, Lowflyin liked this post
  6. #5
    Chriszle's Avatar
    Chriszle is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    1,718
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Re: Why are sundown subs so underrated?

    Run the X's. They will be just fine in a properly designed box.




  7. #6
    jeffdachef's Avatar
    jeffdachef is offline I Bass Boost Rock/Metal!!



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    2,240
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Why are sundown subs so underrated?

    idk what your talking about but if your running 1250 actual rms after accounting impedance rise and voltage drops, those Xs will get down hella hard in a proper enclosure. People say you need more power to come alive because they have horrible impedance rise or low voltages and cannot make their amp's rated rms at 1 ohm. More then likely if your actually overpowering them by a few hundred watts you'd probably wont even notice the difference.



    Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.

    Subs : C2 threatcons
    Sub amp: hifonics brx 2400.1D x 2
    Mids/Highs: PPI Phantom 900.4 - bought from dragnix
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS
    Front stage: Massive Audio CKX 6x9 components with jbl ms62C for rear fill (Its a van, I need rear fill) db drive Pro 6.5s comming soon
    320 amp Singer alt comming soon. Just a group 31 deka in the back atm with big 3 finished.

  8. Likes NuckinFutz, Ahmed Johnson liked this post
  9. #7
    NuckinFutz's Avatar
    NuckinFutz is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, La
    Posts
    713
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Why are sundown subs so underrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffdachef View Post
    idk what your talking about but if your running 1250 actual rms after accounting impedance rise and voltage drops, those Xs will get down hella hard in a proper enclosure. People say you need more power to come alive because they have horrible impedance rise or low voltages and cannot make their amp's rated rms at 1 ohm. More then likely if your actually overpowering them by a few hundred watts you'd probably wont even notice the difference.
    Okay. Thank you for an actual answer to my question.




  10. #8
    NuckinFutz's Avatar
    NuckinFutz is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, La
    Posts
    713
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Why are sundown subs so underrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoxStereo View Post
    it's not aggravating if you know what you're doing..... you gave me crap for selling my obsidians for $110 + $40 shipping each but can't figure out how much wattage to give a sub? credibility gone.
    I know what I'm doing. But I have no experience with sundown subs. If they're not gonna perform best on there rms rating. Then I don't want them. If I'm supposed to give them double there power for them to actually perform properly then I don't want them. What's your input big girl. Should I run two phoenix gold ti1500s to a pair of x's or would they want more power.




  11. Likes supereikenator liked this post
  12. #9
    supereikenator's Avatar
    supereikenator is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Strafford, MO
    Posts
    620
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Why are sundown subs so underrated?

    They are forum boners, you say anything that might sounds even slightly against them you'll get attacked. I totally understand what you are saying man. I was wondering if 1500 watts would be enough for my HDC3(when it was rated at 1000rms.) I knew what I was doing, but everyone knows HDC3's take way more than rated.




  13. Thanks bgordon, Silverado SS thanked for this post
    Likes bgordon liked this post
  14. #10
    jrdnhsnbrg's Avatar
    jrdnhsnbrg is online now Pimped my grandma's ride



    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Menomonie, WI
    Age
    19
    Posts
    1,791
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Why are sundown subs so underrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by NuckinFutz View Post
    I know what I'm doing. But I have no experience with sundown subs. If they're not gonna perform best on there rms rating. Then I don't want them. If I'm supposed to give them double there power for them to actually perform properly then I don't want them. What's your input big girl. Should I run two phoenix gold ti1500s to a pair of x's or would they want more power.
    Go with the X's, you can always add more power later without having to upgrade the subs



    01 Lincoln Continental - Mary

    XFL 12" on a VFL150.1, 4.5 cubes net @27Hz
    Powerware 150ah monster, SHCA 1/0 & 8ga
    Pioneer D Series 6.5" and 6x8" on a VFL150.4

    References: mylows10, 2000LaDe , VWGolfMKVI, Garcia915, UnderFire, joeybutts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatin' View Post
    You HAVE to look.

    If after 5 wipes you're still getting mega shit on the paper, it's shower time.

  15. #11
    NuckinFutz's Avatar
    NuckinFutz is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, La
    Posts
    713
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Why are sundown subs so underrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    Legitimate companies rate things so that they won't come back blown and they consider a power level that's pretty much retard proof. That way if somebody breaks a woofer they KNOW it was abused unless there's a really obvious mechanical defect from manufacturing.

    IMO if you need to ask this question you have no business running more than rated power to a woofer and you probably should stick to the ones that honestly rate things.
    I wasn't wanting to overpower them I was really wondering if they'd perform great on they're rated power.




  16. #12
    BoomBoxStereo's Avatar
    BoomBoxStereo is offline @woofergram



    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,801
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

    Re: Why are sundown subs so underrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by NuckinFutz View Post
    I know what I'm doing. But I have no experience with sundown subs. If they're not gonna perform best on there rms rating. Then I don't want them. If I'm supposed to give them double there power for them to actually perform properly then I don't want them. What's your input big girl. Should I run two phoenix gold ti1500s to a pair of x's or would they want more power.
    they are given a conservative rating so if they blow, sundown knows it was user error. if you get a sundown sa-15 and give it 600 watts and destroy it, it's your fault as that sub can handle twice that. my obsidians (pretty much the sundown equivalent minus a couple things) were getting 1200 watts each and loved it. i had a sundown X18 on a SAZ-2000 and it tickled it. the X series would be happy with 2.5-3k.

    ---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by NuckinFutz View Post
    I wasn't wanting to overpower them I was really wondering if they'd perform great on they're rated power.
    yes they perform fine on rated power but if you want them to really flop, give them over RMS ratings. again if you know what you're doing you won't have any issues. thermal or mechanical.



    Two AA Mayhem motored 18's with SSA Zcon parts on 4k.

    Bought From: kickerassman, I Heart Vtec, dadydolas, gameovercca (x2), SPLaudio
    Sold To: Nopony7, 04murdalanche (x2), gameovercca

  17. Thanks NuckinFutz thanked for this post
  18. #13
    BoomBoxStereo's Avatar
    BoomBoxStereo is offline @woofergram



    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,801
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

    Re: Why are sundown subs so underrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffdachef View Post
    idk what your talking about but if your running 1250 actual rms after accounting impedance rise and voltage drops, those Xs will get down hella hard in a proper enclosure. People say you need more power to come alive because they have horrible impedance rise or low voltages and cannot make their amp's rated rms at 1 ohm. More then likely if your actually overpowering them by a few hundred watts you'd probably wont even notice the difference.
    you can easily feed one of those subs more than RMS. i've done it, and i don't have horrible voltage drop. you can notice a slight difference when adding 500 watts in the lower range of power i.e. 2000 watts to 2500 watts. i noticed that kick drums were a bit punchier and my bass dug a little deeper.



    Two AA Mayhem motored 18's with SSA Zcon parts on 4k.

    Bought From: kickerassman, I Heart Vtec, dadydolas, gameovercca (x2), SPLaudio
    Sold To: Nopony7, 04murdalanche (x2), gameovercca

  19. #14
    Full Tilt's Avatar
    Full Tilt is offline Bonafide MAFer



    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,910
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

    Re: Why are sundown subs so underrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoxStereo View Post
    yes they perform fine on rated power but if you want them to really flop, give them over RMS ratings. again if you know what you're doing you won't have any issues. thermal or mechanical.
    OP, this is beyond incredibly important. You need to know that your signal is clean and your sub will handle the power in the enclosure it's being run in. If you're not positive, be conservative until you're sure about what you're doing. A dirty signal can easily drive a sub past it's thermal limits, and the wrong enclosure can cause mechanical failure. Sundown makes a beefy product, but every sub has it's limit.





    Quote Originally Posted by T.I.K. View Post
    Careful, by those definitions Spider Monkey is a contributing member, I don't think he even knows what a subwoofer is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Truman View Post
    Thanks quackhead. Your the only person who agrees with me. Jesus Christ I have like 40 post and I've been called a ******* like 37 times

  20. #15
    NuckinFutz's Avatar
    NuckinFutz is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, La
    Posts
    713
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Why are sundown subs so underrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoxStereo View Post
    they are given a conservative rating so if they blow, sundown knows it was user error. if you get a sundown sa-15 and give it 600 watts and destroy it, it's your fault as that sub can handle twice that. my obsidians (pretty much the sundown equivalent minus a couple things) were getting 1200 watts each and loved it. i had a sundown X18 on a SAZ-2000 and it tickled it. the X series would be happy with 2.5-3k.

    ---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------



    yes they perform fine on rated power but if you want them to really flop, give them over RMS ratings. again if you know what you're doing you won't have any issues. thermal or mechanical.
    Sweet. Guess I'll go with them then. Thanks.

    Do you have metallic colors for stickers?




+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. why are my subs still so tight?
    By 907tacokid in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 02:22 PM
  2. Why are head units so gaudy?
    By DJItalianICE in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-08-2005, 01:53 PM
  3. Why are 6x9's so bad
    By chase297 in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-06-2003, 07:11 PM
  4. Why are SQ subs So Much More???
    By venom107 in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-12-2003, 11:27 PM
  5. Why are Mmats amps so tinny?
    By kmu in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-26-2002, 10:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum