Our prior unit had extensive supplier issues to the point where we've just had to write off all of that work and tooling.
In any event... I decided to re-visit the X-8 idea and base it on our SA-8 v.2 frame tooling.
The first challenge was to make a GREAT spider for a 2.5" coil on an 8" woofer... which is difficult and we used extensive software optimization before tooling. Fortunately our basket allows a spider about 10mm wider than pretty much all other 8" frames out there.
Since the spider is the main challenger we had that tooled first and then built up a test bed to test with :
* Former was too tall / big in diameter for the SA-8 dust cap to work so I had to use an SA-12 dust cap; which came all the way out to glue onto the surround edge.
* SA-12 Motor
* We had an adapter machined to mount the motor; I decided to have some extras made for some brave DIY folks that may want to make a similar project.
* There is the beastly new spider tooling -- this thing worked great !
Sundown X-8 Spider Test - YouTube
I was able to test the X-8 spider with an SA-12 motor / coil and SA-8 v.2 cone and surround. The X-8 will have it's own unique motor, cone, and surround for production. Those parts aren't done yet and I wanted to test the spider so we built it like this for now
I am very pleased with the spiders excursion capacity and linearity. I will get some Klippel measurements done on it soon as well to verify... my "push the cone Klippel" indicates that the spider has a very linear compliance to it for quite a bit of travel in both directions -- anxious to see the actual plots All of the computer optimization on this spider definitely paid off with the result.