I did some early prototyping around this time last year on some mid-level sets and they were quite good, IMO... I decided to re-evaluate them a bit based on the listening I've had with them since that time.
I received the first early prototype of the new mid-level set a few days ago and I will be replacing the 2011 prototypes in my car with these soon.
The biggest change is the cone material... for a set like this that crosses over higher I prefer a paper base vs. the composite base (woven material) that the other set utilized.
The set is NOT done as I plan to modify the frame on the mid as well as the motor ventilation. There will be no fancy eye-candy to the set -- very basic cosmetically with as much focus on the actual sound as possible.
Once I finalize the details I will talk more about the pricing level on them. For the level of sound quality that I am shooting for it will be very fair.
Here are the photos of the early set :
* The crossovers use an "open tool" plastic housing but do offer some nice features; 12, 6, or full range slope on the mid LPF and also 0, -3, and -6 tweeter level adjustment. The grilles will remain a very basic model that offers good protection with little sonic interference.
* Fairly standard silk dome tweeter; no frills but a nice sounding unit that is not harsh.
* I really like this cone material... very smooth and natural sound.
* This basket and motor are not vented at all on this early set -- that will change for thermal and acoustic reasons.
* High quality spider with tight weave utilized
I will work on the packaging a little bit but I don't plan to make it super fancy and waste money where there is no performance gain to be had.
Once I feel the design is final I will be able to give an ETA -- as of now I cannot give one.