Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Want New Speakers - Need Advice

BMW325i is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Want New Speakers - Need Advice

Coming to a car audio forum, I am looking for the best in advice here. I have a 1992 BMW 325i with 5.25 inch speakers in the front and 4x6 in the rear. Now I also have tweeters and dome speakers on my dootr as well butnot sure the size. Now I am debating between a compnent system and just speakers. What I am looking at right now is alpine, mb quartz, infinity, and now focal based on what I have read so far in this forum. Any advice or experience with any of these component systems. Which would you get and why. Also which brand should I get for the rear. Thanks for the advice.

Jeffrey

dreamer is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you're using a stock head unit, honestly the biggest upgrade in sound you're going to get is to get a new head unit with a nice clean amp in it. I drove a '95 318 and man, that stereo sounded bad, but it was the lowest of the low end stereos that one could get with that car.

If you really don't want a new head unit and want new speakers, what will happen is that the head unit (if it's bad) will put out an unclean music signal, and the good speakers will reproduce that unclean music signal well and it won't sound that much different, however you may get a bit brighter on the high end because better tweeters.

I'm into sound quality and staging and imaging. Your stock speakers in the rear are probably more than adequate at providing rear fill, which is their purpose. The front speakers should be producing most of the sound and making it so you can actually see where the instruments are placed on your sound stage.

I have heard the alpine and mb quart component systems.
    I liked the alpine, sounded pretty smooth and natural.
    I have also heard the boston acoustics pro 6.5 and 5.25" speakers and I like these a lot. They are available at "Tweeter" but at true retail price and no discount = (.
    The mb quart system had bright high end, if you're into that and everything sounded sibilant, but the midrange and midbass was very clean and transparent (this is a good thing).
    People rave about focals, but I think they're going to sound more like the mb quart than the alpine.
    What I would do if I were you is get a new head unit and a new set of component speakers for the front and just leave the ones in the back. The stock location for the speakers in the bmw is OK, but, there is nothing like the sound of properly set up kick panels. Maybe Q-forms makes some kick panels that would install fairly easily and inexpensively (custom work is expensive!).

I have heard also good things about CDT components (www.thezeb.com) and infinity components. Really, there is no replacement for actually listening to the speakers you want to get and getting ones that you like.

DEX-P9 (headunit)
    DEQ-P9 (30band eq L/R, time alignment, 36dB/oct 4 way crossover)
    Soundstream Tarantula (for subs)
    Precision Power PCX-4125 (for horns and midbasses)
    Image Dynamics CD2 comp mini horns
    Scan-Speak 7" 18W/5535A midbasses
    Subs still pending.

Big-Cat is offline Registered User

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    just a quick question....what's the difference between a component system and some speakers? cause i thought a compnent system came with like whatever speaker and a tweeter and something else...or was i wrong??

BMW325i is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was asking whether I should get a component system for the front or shuold I just get two 5.25 inch speakers and tweeters and dome speakers seperately.

dreamer is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    a component system consists of (usually):
    crossover network
    separate tweeter
    separate midrange/midbass woofer

a coaxial set consists of one woofer with the tweeter built into it.

in my opinion, components sound nicer.

DEX-P9 (headunit)
    DEQ-P9 (30band eq L/R, time alignment, 36dB/oct 4 way crossover)
    Soundstream Tarantula (for subs)
    Precision Power PCX-4125 (for horns and midbasses)
    Image Dynamics CD2 comp mini horns
    Scan-Speak 7" 18W/5535A midbasses
    Subs still pending.

fd sorrel is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ive listened to alot of component systems recentley. I've kinda wanted to put in a MBquart set although JL sounds nice too. Now if your not looking to spend alot of money kicker and fosgat always make respectable stuff (I would go with kicker on this one) but you still cant beat MBquart. My personal Opinion. But go listen for yourself ,Thats always the best way to answer questions.

Closed Thread