Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Midbass

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Midbass

Would a system with two shivas and JL Xr 5.25" comps still need a seperate 8" or so midbass to get good sound. I would think that the shivas should have some good midbass while i let the comps only handle mids not midbass. I was thinking bout maybe a JL W0 or even adire's AV8. I dont have the money yet to order everything so i just wanted to ask those who have experience so they could teach me a thing or two.
    Last edited by MrCheekstanieka; 07-13-2002 at 11:06 PM.

93' previa
    5.25 CDT Cambria's
    Kenwood 2019 hu
    Thats all folks

MrCheekstanieka is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was wondering since my cousin has two 12 w3's which dont seem to hit all the notes on midbass the way i like it. ( he uses a Thunder 8302 that gives 212 watts x 2 (underrated) to power his subs but is looking to upgrade to a JL 500/1 which he can get for 150$ !!! .)

I have a Cerwin vega VS-80 (8" mid-bass with tweet) at home which seems to hit every bass note with equal amounts of volume(except for the really deep stuff of course )

I was listening to the song By donnel Jones "You know that I love you" which has some bass notes in the beginning of the song. I listened to this song both in my cousins car with the w3's and at home with my Vegas. The W3s didnt seem to hit every note evenly by playing the low notes too loud and not playing the higher notes loud enough. My vegas seem to hit everything evenly. I also listend to some other songs with hard bass like "Truth hurts, Addictive" with his w3's and to say the least I was a little bit dissapointed sq wise . Maybe He just installed it wrong...they are in a sealed box btw. This is why I was wondering if I would need a seperate 8 incher
    Last edited by MrCheekstanieka; 07-13-2002 at 10:55 PM.

93' previa
    5.25 CDT Cambria's
    Kenwood 2019 hu
    Thats all folks

dreamer is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How big of a sealed box?

DEX-P9 (headunit)
    DEQ-P9 (30band eq L/R, time alignment, 36dB/oct 4 way crossover)
    Soundstream Tarantula (for subs)
    Precision Power PCX-4125 (for horns and midbasses)
    Image Dynamics CD2 comp mini horns
    Scan-Speak 7" 18W/5535A midbasses
    Subs still pending.

nismboy6986 is offline the **** technician

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    can you just use any 8 inch for a midbass driver? i think the advantage of using a driver dedicated for midbass is that it doesn't really need a enclosure. but anyways i was thinking of getting 2 comp vr 8's and powering them by this old 100x2 jensen amp my father has laying around and put 2 sets of f-mods to create a bandpass for them. but that amps probally to weak to get good results might use a 300/1 jl amp. and just hide it under the seat so it wont mess up the whole rockford amp thing.

LoneRanger is offline Old Yamahas Give Me Wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

midbass

I was having a very similar problem with my system: powerful low-end bass, but there seemed to be a gap around 80-120hz that my subs and mids weren't hitting, no matter what i did to the crossover. My solution was a single 6.5" JL Audio 6w0 subwoofer mounted under the dash pointing upward (got the idea looking at Loyd L.'s car). It sounds absolutely awesome now......so maybe you should consider something of this sort.

ps. you can push the 6w0 quite nicely on about 50-100w, and it sounds better than a lot of lower-end 8" drivers i've heard.

"There is no 'I' in Tag Team"

Project 'rex: Coming Soon to An Eardrum Near You

audiolife is offline WhAt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by MrCheekstanieka
    I was wondering since my cousin has two 12 w3's which dont seem to hit all the notes on midbass the way i like it. ( he uses a Thunder 8302 that gives 212 watts x 2 (underrated) to power his subs but is looking to upgrade to a JL 500/1 which he can get for 150$ !!! .)

I have a Cerwin vega VS-80 (8" mid-bass with tweet) at home which seems to hit every bass note with equal amounts of volume(except for the really deep stuff of course )

I was listening to the song By donnel Jones "You know that I love you" which has some bass notes in the beginning of the song. I listened to this song both in my cousins car with the w3's and at home with my Vegas. The W3s didnt seem to hit every note evenly by playing the low notes too loud and not playing the higher notes loud enough. My vegas seem to hit everything evenly. I also listend to some other songs with hard bass like "Truth hurts, Addictive" with his w3's and to say the least I was a little bit dissapointed sq wise . Maybe He just installed it wrong...they are in a sealed box btw. This is why I was wondering if I would need a seperate 8 incher
    if you do the rest of your system right its not needed...you still need the propper sub box and steeper x over points are a plus

Sony Mobile ES C-90 Audison Bit-One
    Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

Closed Thread