Reload Thread: component tweeter placement question

crzybob77 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Icon32 component tweeter placement question

I would like to get a component speaker set for my taurus. There are stock tweets in the upper cornor of the door (near the bottom of the side window and near the dash). Anyways, it would seem like a logical place to put a tweeter considering that it was made for a tweeter. But, this stock tweeter location is higher in the doors than the speaker hole in the door. I was wondering if having the tweeter closer to your ears than the mid-bass would cause imaging problems? Also, would the tweeter be too harsh considering that it is closer that normal. I already have the stock tweet there, and it sounds fine, but i am sure that i would get a hell of a lot more sound out of a component tweeter. Also, anybody have any opinions on the JL Audio XR series components and the Boston Acoustics Rally Series Components. I would be getting the 5x7. Would the tweets from these components be too harsh that high up in the door. Thanks.

Check out my system at http://www.sounddomain.com/id/crzybob77

audiolife is offline WhAt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you are on the right track you would run into POSSIBLE phasing problems going into stock locations. i will offer you this advice..get a good component set (doesnt have to be the best) and go into your kickpanels for the mounting location of this set. you might think this is a whole new set of problems but let me explain what it will do .. first it sets ur speakers up more on axis with your ears...this gives far less left to right cancelation thus requires less power to sound "right". less problems in creating a sound stage for imaging (most still complain on getting it just right but still sounds better 8 out of ten times than the door) a lil hint after you put them in the kicks and it still sounds funny jump phase (knock a tweet or a tweet and mb out phase ) this works better than door locals usually and since the speakers are more on axis with you they sound alot better and will appear more detailed and louder..so a lesser speaker mounted and ran right will out perform a great speaker mounted wrong and ran wrong. so the extra costs of going into the kicks can be "made up" with a slightly lesser speaker. hope this helped
    clean lil install btw. the kickpanels would be a great upgrade
    Last edited by audiolife; 07-06-2002 at 03:08 PM.

Sony Mobile ES C-90 Audison Bit-One
    Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

crzybob77 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nobody makes kicks for a taurus and i dont know enough to make them. I am sure you will say it is easy or something like that, but i guess i just dont wanna do it. The other choice would be to get the coaxil version of the JL Audio Component set I want. It comes with a crossover too, and that would put the tweet and the midbass in the same spot. But, i do want something with a good crossover. The only coax speakers that come with a descent crossover that i can think of are the kappas and the JLs. I dont see how there would be that big of a difference between the coax version of the and the component version of the JL Audio XR series speakers considering both have a nice crossover. The coax would make things a heck of a lot easier cause i wouldnt have to worry about what to do with the tweeter. Anyways, what do you think.

Check out my system at http://www.sounddomain.com/id/crzybob77

audiolife is offline WhAt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would be good ... cdt makes speakers for door locations and a new company www.ampman.com carries. if you have a local shop they can make them for you (kicks) funny they only make q forms up to 95 hmmmm.

Sony Mobile ES C-90 Audison Bit-One
    Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

Closed Thread