Closed Thread

Reload Thread: GURU's---Will this sub box work?

DJ Jester is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

GURU's---Will this sub box work?

Okay. I haven't completely decided which subs I'm getting yet. I do know that I'm getting two 12" or two 13", depending on brand. I'm going to build my own box with 3/4" and 1" MDF

What I'm curious about is if the design of the box I want to use will cause problems in the sound.

The box will be about 1.20 ft/cu per woofer. It will be 36 inches long and 16 inches high. Basically it will be shaped like two single wedges sitting facing one another on a four inch thick platform connecting the bottoms of the two woofers The woofers will be facing one another and angled upward at an approx. 25 degree angle. They will be separated by about 18 inches.

My question is whether there will be detrimental effects on the sound due to the woofers facing one another. I know a LITTLE bit about the physics of waves and sound, but I wasn't sure if doppler wave effects or other effects of colliding sound waves would cause there to be sound discrepancies. Maybe it would if they were closer, but not this far apart..........or maybe it still will.

Someone who has knowledge of a setup like this or knows that you should never do this please let me know why I shouldn't do this if thats the case.

Actually, if someone has information about why this is a GOOD setup, please tell me that also. I did think that there is a possibility that doppler effects could cancel some of the distortion and make the sub louder as well, but maybe not, on such a small level, and with reflections from the roof of the vehicle entering the area as well. Who knows!?!?

Please let me know. Thanks for all the great help from the knowledgable people on this forum.

Jester

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: GURU's---Will this sub box work?

Mmmmm, I hope this question wasn't so ridiculous that no one wants to even waste their time answering it.

eric77 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There might be some cancellation, but it probably wouldnt be too noticeable. I have seen a number of boxes designed similar to this and havent hear danything negative about them. it does sound like a cool looking box though. I say go for it and post pics.

soundsplinter rl-p 15 (145.1 dB @ 45 hz), 2.5 cu ft @ 28 hz, eD nine.1, NEXT VRz 2.200, NEXT VRz 2.400, Coustic XM-6, eD eu-650 mids, CDT tw-24 tweets, pioneer deh-6300, cadence ZX651, edead, knukonceptz
    ALL SOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

you prolly don't need 3/4" and 1" mdf. it will cost more than getting 1 sheet of one or the other. i think i have your box pictured in my head(a drawing would have been nice) but i'm lost as to why you would have them on a 4" platform. that just seems to be a waste of wood and space. it would also be very helpful to know what kind of vehicle this is going into. maybe you should stick with know working enclosures to each his own though.

--My truck: 2007 GMC 1500 crew cab, Kenwood DNX570HD, DLS front stage, SQ3500.1, 3x RD Alpha Max 15"s in 6th order blow through, Second Skin deadening.

--Wife's car: 2013 Chevrolet Impala LTZ, Kenwood DNX470, GermanMAESTRO components on CT125.2, 2x AT10"s on an AT800.1, RF Deadskin deadening.

--Work truck: 2014 GMC 2500 crew cab, Kenwood DNX470, Kenwood front stage, DD M1A on a pair of American Bass XD10s.

GreenMachine70 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what kind of car is it
    are you going fof spl...sq
    What subs
    are you building it just for looks...?
    answer these and i can help you.

Audiobahn is like the Jessica Simpson of the car audio world, sure they might be pretty but its nothing you want to listen to...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soundstreamer
    you prolly don't need 3/4" and 1" mdf. it will cost more than getting 1 sheet of one or the other. i think i have your box pictured in my head(a drawing would have been nice) but i'm lost as to why you would have them on a 4" platform. that just seems to be a waste of wood and space. it would also be very helpful to know what kind of vehicle this is going into. maybe you should stick with know working enclosures to each his own though.
    I plan on using 3/4 for most of the enclosure and 1" for the parts that need to be more stable.

The reason for the platform, its not actually a platform, its really part of the box, is going to be to add interior space. Without it, the box would only be about 0.8 or so.

Anyway, i've attached an attempt to draw the way it will look from the side.

There. I hope that explains it a little bit better.

I'll try to take and post some pics after it's built.

Oh, and its going in a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I read somewhere on this board that you get a somewhat heightened response in SUV's with the sub pointing upward.
    Actually, they will be at more of an angle than they are in that little drawing above.

Anyhow, please respond with any more info that any of you hvae. Thanks much for the help.

Jester
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GURU's---Will this sub box work?-mypicture001.jpg  
    Last edited by DJ Jester; 02-12-2005 at 08:36 PM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what kind of car is it?

Jeep Grand Cherokee

are you going fof spl...sq

Preferably SQ, but with as much SPL as I can still keep with the best SQ possible

What subs?

Either Shivas, 13Ov.2's, or Ascendant Atlas's

are you building it just for looks...?

Not necessarily, but I do want it to look good, I want it to look somewhat unique, not just a square or rectangular box, and I wanted the subs pointing in a direction other than directly forward, backward, or straight up. This was the easiest model I could come up with that satisfies all of those requirements.

eric77 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was going to do something similar, but I decided o go with just a basic box for now. Heres what I had planned.

I would have done plexiglass front then mirrror on the inside. Here is onother picture of a similar setup I found

soundsplinter rl-p 15 (145.1 dB @ 45 hz), 2.5 cu ft @ 28 hz, eD nine.1, NEXT VRz 2.200, NEXT VRz 2.400, Coustic XM-6, eD eu-650 mids, CDT tw-24 tweets, pioneer deh-6300, cadence ZX651, edead, knukonceptz
    ALL SOLD

Closed Thread