Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Louder Boxes?

Daniel is offline Caraudio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Louder Boxes?

ok i have a question on boxes. are boxes louder when they are bigger? also does material play a big role in boxes? ive seen posts with mdf plexisgalss and fibergass, which types sound louder bandpass or ported ex. plus if you port a box that is currently 0.81cuft. would it be louder? because i have a 0.81cuft box i made a little while ago and was wondering if i should port it to get it sounding louder. if i do. does it make a differece what shape the port hole is? ( round or rectangular?) also if i do port it where should the ports be located?

ALSO- i was wondering where the ports should be because i had this crazy idea that maybe if you place the box in a certain direction the air coming out of the ports could hit the amp to try and cool it down... am i crazy or can that ever work out?

2010 Nissan Frontier
    working on it...

MinorSkills is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    HA Good idea with the port cooling down the Amp, I dunno if it would work, I'm just an amature but www.the12volt.com has alot of info on box building, there is a DIY site that says some things about porting. I didnt understand crap, lol, maybe you will. http://www.globalnode.com/users/stevenr/spkrs/ has some volume calculators and other stuff.
    I know this doesnt answer ANY of your questions, but I tried to help.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hehe, its alright the calculator did help out a little bit=]

2010 Nissan Frontier
    working on it...

misha is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Its better to go to your subs manufacturers homepage and check out whats the best possible enclosure size and type. For example my JL 12W0 if I want max SPL the size is 1.25cft but for SQ its 2.5cft thats seal enclosure I'm refering to and well that should prove that bigger doesnt necessary be louder.

For cooling your amp, I did a modification on my previous car, I put in a washing machine PVC flexible tube and connect it to one of my air con duct at the bottom of my steering wheel and direct it to my amplifier powering my sub, it really work and I can put in extra power without overheating my amp.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the info, but another question. i see all these people making custom boxes that are huge, and im pretty sure that the manufactureres homepagfe wont give them the specs to make the boxes that are being made, and yet they still make it and its louder than most. im not sure if this one is from the specs but audiolife posted earlier that his box was just finished. the box he made was humungous!(im not sure if it was specs but ive never seen a manufacturer recommencind a box that big) thats why i was just wondering. and does material make a difference? ( fibergalss, mdf, plexiglass, exe.)

2010 Nissan Frontier
    working on it...

misha is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hard to medium hard wood would produce the best box then comes MDF board.

Pioneer DEH 5450
    Magnat TRAXX600
    Magnat Extrema 216
    JL Audio 12W0
    QED Qunex 2
    QED Original

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hard to medium? whats that mean? i made my .82 cuft. sealed boxes a little while ago with 3/4 in. mdf board. if it goes from hard to medium, wouldnt fiberglass be the best? plus if i wanted to add ports to my .82 cu.ft. box where would i put them and what size and what shape?

2010 Nissan Frontier
    working on it...

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just use some 3/4 MDF. It works good and when you do some interior bracing in the box, it wont flex.

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

MinorSkills is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Daniel, check this site out, it might help you. Its box building section is very simple and is helping me out.http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    anyone have some pictures of some really big enclosures?

2010 Nissan Frontier
    working on it...

Closed Thread